eggyhustles

Solve this math problem

The answer is 2.

The order of operations is: Parenthesis > Exponents > Multiplication > Division > Addition > Subtraction. IN THAT ORDER.

The equation is: 48/2(9+3)

[Per the order of operations, solve everything in parentheses]

So: 48/2(12)

[Now solve multiplication]

So: 48/24

[Now divide]

No.

Parenthesis > Exponents > Multiplication = Division > Addition = Subtraction.

You work left to right.

If you believe it is, tell me this. What is the answer to

5 - 3 + 2 =

5 - 3 + 2 =

5 - 3 + 2 =

Ok, good. According to your order of operations though, you should have gotten 0 because you would have added before doing subtraction.

5 - 3 + 2 =

Ok, good. According to your order of operations though, you should have gotten 0 because you would have added before doing subtraction.

Yes, I'll ninja edit before anyone else gets confused, thanks Ryan.

All the years of doing this stuff it becomes automatic O.o

If you google it, they're 40+ page debates over this question :suicide-santa:

Edited by eggyhustles

Go to mathway.com and plug this problem in and it will give you 2. I need to switch to mit or what ever collage they got there diploma from cuz I'd be the smartest person there lol

Go to mathway.com and plug this problem in and it will give you 2. I need to switch to mit or what ever collage they got there diploma from cuz I'd be the smartest person there lol

As I stated before: I used three different high regarded programs and all got 288. Well, technically two programs and one computing language. The confusion here is with the phrase "pemdas". It's just made to help kids in middle school remember order of operations; it isn't perfect guys! This thread couldn't have come at a better time though as we literally just talked about an example similar to this in class. In all honesty, if it wasn't for that example I wouldn't know the correct answer either.

As earlier stated, if the operations have the same value of order (ex: multiplication & division OR addition and subtraction) you work through the problem from LEFT to RIGHT. Outside of parenthesis of course.

What this is here is a poorly written equation.

48÷2(9+3) =288

48/(2(9+3)) = 2

I love parentheses.

If you end up with 48 / 2 * 12 you solve it left to right...

So what if I lived in china and was trying to solve this problem? :trippy::rofl2:

If you were chinese, this problem wouldn't be a problem to you. :ghost:

The answer is 288. For whoever said do parentheses first, its do operations "IN" the parentheses first not do the operation that includes the units in parentheses first. Also, the parentheses basically means multiply so its 2*(9+3). Its just implied.

This is a badly written problem though. This was on a bunch of other forums and its basically will continue on debating like a religion thread.

There is NO religion :peepwall:

Edited by Sencheezy

I'll click the link, you're weak at ninja editing. ;)

LMFAO!!!

The answer is 2 but you can also get 288, in Algebra the answer would of been 2 since you do parenthesis first and it was written write.

If you were chinese, this problem wouldn't be a problem to you. :ghost: The answer is 288. For whoever said do parentheses first, its do operations "IN" the parentheses first not do the operation that includes the units in parentheses first. Also, the parentheses basically means multiply so its 2*(9+3). Its just implied.This is a badly written problem though. This was on a bunch of other forums and its basically will continue on debating like a religion thread.

The answer is 2 but you can also get 288, in Algebra the answer would of been 2 since you do parenthesis first and it was written write.

:)

Did you see the way you wrote it? That's assuming that the (9+3) is in the denominator which would have to be (2(9+3)). Sorry Florida education FTL.

th_Untitled.png

hahahaha dude your wrong put it in mathway.com put it in any way you want it wont get 288....

Then if mathway already assumes that (2(9+3)) is in the denominator then its not doing the original equation. Like I said, this is a badly written problem.

PS- I did use mathway and it gave me 288 when I typed exactly 48/2(9+3)

Idk I do this stuff in class with more advanced problems every tuesday and thursday for an hour and 30 I do it my way and get them right its the same problem just wrote a different way