outhopu

My new hooptie, 1980 CoupeDeville. Bumping on a budget.

Awesome Work!!! They look Very Slick!!

Thanks. I'm pleased with them. I could have done more with them but I'm trying not to spend an exessive amount of time on any one part of this build. My goal of having it done before memorial day is not looking good as it is.

Got the other pod mounted up and it's looking decent now. I'll still have room for the hood release handle to go back in. :)

Picture094.jpg

Picture096.jpg

Picture095.jpg

I think I'm going to do a textured paint finish on these. Just need to find the right color.

Built the frame work of the amp rack. I drilled and tapped all the mounting holes to accept allen head 10-32 bolts to save from having to use nuts on the back side (no homo).

Picture097.jpg

This is the lay out. I'm planning on trying to get the mounts done in the trunk tomorrow if the weather permits.

Picture099.jpg

last 2 images dont work for me?

These are looking really freakin' good. If i make a wood model will you glass it for me? :D

The pods as I said before look great!!!! I :wub: that on the drivers side you are still able to use the hood release in the factory location and from the pics you should have good access to the fuse block. Keep it coming!!

last 2 images dont work for me?

These are looking really freakin' good. If i make a wood model will you glass it for me? :D

Thanks. Photobucket acts up from time to time. I'd say yes but I have already overloaded myself big time. I'm a single father so I have to get creative at finding the time I need for all these projects. Lets just say there are lots of late nights.

The pods as I said before look great!!!! I :wub: that on the drivers side you are still able to use the hood release in the factory location and from the pics you should have good access to the fuse block. Keep it coming!!

Thanks. That driver side pod took a bit of planning to get it to turn out right but it was worth it.

I was looking for some paint today but didn't find what I need yet. Hopefully I'll have the pods painted installed and wired up by the weekend.

Now more progress...

Amp rack is all welded up and ready for action. Used a couple 1/4" bolts per side to mount it.

Picture100.jpg

Picture101.jpg

Picture103.jpg

Picture102.jpg

This is what it will look like in the final install, well almost, the box will be level when I'm done.

Picture104.jpg

Picture105.jpg

The spare tire obviously won't be accessable from the trunk. I'm going to make a cut out behind the seat that will allow me to slide the tire out through the back seat if needed. I plan on driving this car as much as possible so I have to have a spare.

ooooh all the pictures work now :)

Looks very clean. :wub: This is motivation to go get my ass in gear and build a frame for my false floor :fing34:

wow very nice man!

do you plan to carpet the box at all? or paint? or rhino line it?

Excellent idea on the spare tire!!! I ussume you still need to squeeze in the bats and pumps.

Looks very clean. :wub: This is motivation to go get my ass in gear and build a frame for my false floor :fing34:

Thanks.

I expect to see pics when you do. :peepwall:

wow very nice man!

do you plan to carpet the box at all? or paint? or rhino line it?

Thanks.

I'm going to stain and clear coat it.

Excellent idea on the spare tire!!! I ussume you still need to squeeze in the bats and pumps.

The spare idea came out of neccessity and desperation. I just simply could not fit everything and keep the spare accessable from the trunk. I will be adding 7 group 31 batteries and 2 hydraulic pumps into the "empty" space in the pics.

I will be adding 7 group 31 batteries and 2 hydraulic pumps into the "empty" space in the pics.

:o:trippy: :trippy:

Thanks.

Of course! Keep a lookout, should be happening soon. This friday is payday, that means i can get these little things that are holding me back ordered and installed :detail:

empty space? i didn't see much of that. very impressive amp rack you have there. whole car in fact. i'll be on the look out for it this summer.

I will be adding 7 group 31 batteries and 2 hydraulic pumps into the "empty" space in the pics.

:o:trippy: :trippy:

Thats a small set up. I usually do much larger.

Thanks.

Of course! Keep a lookout, should be happening soon. This friday is payday, that means i can get these little things that are holding me back ordered and installed :detail:

:drink40:

empty space? i didn't see much of that. very impressive amp rack you have there. whole car in fact. i'll be on the look out for it this summer.

There is quite a bit of space still available in the trunk. It will be very full when I'm done though. I will drive this as much as possible this summer. I have a feeling $5.50 a gallon gas is coming soon though so I may just have to find good spots to park and hang out instead of cruising.

Well things are moving along. Tackled mounting the head unit and EQ tonight.

Decided not to use the factory location for the head unit because there is nothing but empty space once the factory radio is removed and don't want the trim bezel supporting the weight. So I removed the ash tray and modified it to hold both the head unit and EQ

Picture106.jpg

Picture107.jpg

Picture108.jpg

This was fun to weld. I didn't have any .023 wire so had to weld it with .030 wire.

Picture109.jpg

Tabs for the EQ

Picture110.jpg

Nice and compact.

Picture112.jpg

Picture113.jpg

Test fit. I'll need to make a trim piece to hide the sides and give it a more finished look but it's a nice sturdy mount supported by 4 bolts that go into clip nuts.

Picture114.jpg

This is what I was saying about there being nothing to support the head unit. It's all just open space.

Picture115.jpg

I'll be converting the original radio location to a gauge pod. This car only has dummy lights and I want to be able to monitor the oil psi, water temp, and volts.

Doing some awesome work making everything fit and mount up :drink40:

Mod after mod after mod!! Never a dull moment in this thread!

Taking the dash apart to a whole new level! I'm too scared to do that to my car, i dont even like drilling holes! :peepwall:

Doing some awesome work making everything fit and mount up :drink40:

Thanks, thats the goal.

Mod after mod after mod!! Never a dull moment in this thread!

It's all about the mods. Stock is just so boring.

Taking the dash apart to a whole new level! I'm too scared to do that to my car, i dont even like drilling holes! :peepwall:

Come on don't be a pansy. It's only a car not brain surgery, nobody dies if you slip a little. :suicide-santa:

Started the gauge panel. I'm using some gauges I had left over from an old ride. Since there basically is no modern gauges that will look good I'm going to recess mount these behind smoked lexan so they aren't visible with the car off.

Cut out the radio slot and painted the cut edge black.

Picture123.jpg

Used some scraps of MDF for the panel

Picture119.jpg

Picture120.jpg

Test fit looks like it's going to work out good.

Picture116.jpg

Picture118.jpg

Come on don't be a pansy. It's only a car not brain surgery, nobody dies if you slip a little. :suicide-santa:

:roflmao: Sorry watts09, but that's damn funny!

You kicks, kick ass, and I'm not talking about those ass kicking boots you wear. :P Loving that sculpted look to them. Interesting choice of gauges. Air/Fuel Ratio meter? In an 80 Caddy? Planning a turbo upgrade? Just messing. Keep up the good progress. :fing34:

It was meant to be. I can crack a good joke from time to time.

You kicks, kick ass, and I'm not talking about those ass kicking boots you wear. :P Loving that sculpted look to them. Interesting choice of gauges. Air/Fuel Ratio meter? In an 80 Caddy? Planning a turbo upgrade? Just messing. Keep up the good progress. :fing34:

Thanks.

I've had the gauges for years from an old ride I got rid of. This car is still carburated so an air fuel meter isn't a bad idea to help me fine tune the carb. I don't think I would have bought it for this project but since it's just collecting dust I figured what the hell throw it in. I do have a Stinger digital volt meter also that will be mounted similarly in the little square opening on the bottom right of the bezell.

Ya'll are just haters :P

Just curious, why put gauges in? Just added security?

wow... some people have all the imagination in the world.

Ya'll are just haters :P

Just curious, why put gauges in? Just added security?

I like to keep an eye on things. The car only has dummy lights and by the time they flash on (if they even work) the car will already be worse for wear. Nothing worse than the radiator boiling over being the indicator for the motor over heating.

wow... some people have all the imagination in the world.

Now if only I had all the time in the world I could really dazzle you.

After searching high and low for tinted lexan I came up empty handed. So I had to pick up some clear lexan and some window tint. It worked out alright but set me back a day.

I blacked out the pod and installed the gauges.

Picture125.jpg

Glued the lexan into the bezel.

Picture126.jpg

I shined a flash light across the face for this pic. They are completely unseen otherwise.

Picture127.jpg

I just ordered all LED lights for the instrument panel and gauges to brighten up the dash. These old GMs never did look good at night.

That's going to be sick when they light up!!! Turned out really nice!!

That's going to be sick when they light up!!! Turned out really nice!!

But wait theres more...

Added a digital voltmeter to the lower right corner and did a test run of the lighting. The gauges will be blue and should be much brighter once I get the LED bulbs installed in them.

Picture129.jpg

Picture128.jpg

The 3rd gauge in the pod doesn't light up like the others. It has a series of lights that sweep from left to right when the car is running thats why it's not lit up in the pic.

If the rain stays away I'll be painting the pods tomorrow.