outhopu

My new hooptie, 1980 CoupeDeville. Bumping on a budget.

Well I've had enough of working my life away building cool shit for other people. I scooped up a 1980 Caddy CoupeDeville about a week ago and will be putting a basic hydraulic set up in it. I'll also be using all the various audio gear that I have been storing in the basement for the last 3 years to put a decent system together for it also. I know the gear isn't high end stuff but I bought it before learning about companies like Fi and Sundown. Hey I did by it all at clearance prices at least so I'm going to run with it.

Heres what I have planned for gear as of now.

JVC head unit.

(8) Infinity Kappa 3 way coaxs. May only run 4 depending on room.

(4) 10" Infinity Kappa perfect 10.1 subs in bandpass enclosure (4th order I believe it's called)

(3) Clarion amps (I have 5 to choose from I'll post specs later)

(2) Kinetik 1800 batteries

Big 3

Plenty of 1/0 cable

Alternator to be decided on later.

I decided to give birch plywood a try since I keep reading good things about. Had some of the cuts done at Lowes to save me some time.

Picture001-4.jpg

Laid out the baffles and started cutting with my new circle jig.

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture002-4.jpg

Picture004-4.jpg

Glued and screwed the pieces together .

Picture006-2.jpg

Figured rounding the corner off the back side of the opening couldn't hurt.

Picture005-3.jpg

Picture008-2.jpg

I cut a slot for the center divider to go into for a stronger glue joint since I won't be able to get a screw or nail in from the other side.

Picture009-3.jpg

Picture010-3.jpg

Got the bottom and sides glued and nailed together.

Picture011-3.jpg

Attached some strips to the sides to make stting the baffle in the correct place a bit easier.

Picture015-4.jpg

Dropped the baffle and center divider in.

Picture016-4.jpg

Framed the inside with another strip to give me more flange surface for better sealing and to help prevent the wood from splitting since I'll need to use screws on the top panel for access to the subs.

Picture017-3.jpg

I'm building this exactly to the specs given from Infinity. I know the box seems small but the graphs supplied with the sub shows it should be louder than a sealed box and play lower than their vented box specs out at. I'm still working on port placement.

Looking good, already got a bunch done. me like box builds. :D

May I ask how much the jasper jig was?

Looking good man, good luck with it,

Looking good, already got a bunch done. me like box builds. :D

May I ask how much the jasper jig was?

I'm enjoying building this box. It's my first time using the birch and it's so much easier to cut than MDF. I can't remember exactly what I paid for the jig but I want to say it was around $40 or so. It works great and is well worth the cost. I originaly made my own circle jig but after having to modify it a few times for different dia. I'd had enough of that one. The only thing I noticed with the Jasper though is it seems like the pivot hole I was using already loosened up a little from cutting the dozen holes I did. Nothing that caused any issues but lots of use may lead to some.

Looks good, which direction are you going to face them?

Dang man, you stay as busy as a one legged man in an ass kickin' contest. Enclosure is lookin' great. Your craftsmanship should make some "not so high end peices" as you said, sound great!

Pics of the Caddy !!! :drink40:

Enclosure looks great bro ... :popcorn:

Very nice work! Keep up the pics!

Geeezus! :trippy: You are one busy man. Fine lookin' box. I say finish it off with some Minwax and give it the heirloom furniture look. :P

Looks good, which direction are you going to face them?

The subs will face down but thats not really relivant. The ports ended up having to exit out each side, pics below.

Dang man, you stay as busy as a one legged man in an ass kickin' contest. Enclosure is lookin' great. Your craftsmanship should make some "not so high end peices" as you said, sound great!

Thanks. I have to stay busy. It's the only thing that keeps me from losing my mind in this toilet of a world we live in. I'm sure the bass will be respectable even though the subs aren't monsters. Besides I only need 1400wrms to power all 4 so electrical upgrades won't have to empty my pockets. I've used Infinity Kappa components before and really like how they sounded so I'm not worried about how the mids/highs will do.

Geeezus! :trippy: You are one busy man. Fine lookin' box. I say finish it off with some Minwax and give it the heirloom furniture look. :P

I want to stain and polyurethane it if I can get it sanded down real nice. I need to get some would filler that is stainable so I can fill over all the nail heads to make sure I get a killer finish on it. I may do some paint inlays to match the color of the car also. Time, money, and energy will dictate how much of that actually happens though.

Thanks everybody for all the positive comments. Now more pics.

This is the only pic I have of the ride right now. My daughter and a good friend of mine took a 4 hour road trip looked the car over bought it and drove it 4 hours back home. Ran and drove like a champ. Only issue we had was one of the dry rotted front tires started coming apart, hence the donut spare. I'm looking for some wheels for it and already have a plan for the hydraulic set up. Just need to get the sounds done first.

Picture020.jpg

Finsihed framing the inside and carved out a V groove that will get filled with silicon to create a gasket to seal the lid. The groove should hopefully keep the silicon from blowing out.

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Cut the ports to size bored the holes for them and did a test fit. I'm not real happy with the port placement but it's the only way I could fit them. Each side will have 2 ports. The top isn't trimmed or attached yet.

Picture021.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the rest of the box done in the next couple days.

I agree with the stain and varnish part love the furniture look on classic cars! love my urethane box :)

I'll probably get it test fired before doing the finall finishing of it though. I've already spent a fair amount of cash so I'd like to know it plays the way I want before investing any more into it. It's been over 15 years since I've built a bandpass, so I'm not 100% confident that I'll be pleased with it.

Getting closer.

Radiused the edges on the ports and painted them black.

Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Laid down a bead of silicon, covered it with plastic wrap and put the top on with just a bit of pressure to flatten the bead a little. It should have a little more than a 1/16" thick silicon gasket . I'll remove the top and plastic wrap after it's all cured and see if it worked out as planned.

Picture030.jpg

Sweeeet, the build has progressed even more!

And that's awesome about the jasper, sounds well worth the cost. Gotta be easier then pen, string, and board.

looks great man!

Love the detail of the radius on the ports!

Sweeeet, the build has progressed even more!

And that's awesome about the jasper, sounds well worth the cost. Gotta be easier then pen, string, and board.

It's moving along. I'm just really wishing I would have dropped the coin on a higher quality router. I keep having issues with the chuck coming loose and the bit slipping.

looks great man!

Thanks.

Love the detail of the radius on the ports!

All I did was put the port in the box and used my router with a 1/4" radius round over bit and bam! Poor mans aero port. Word to the wise though, have somebody standing there with a shop vac to catch the sahvings. They become highly staticly charged and cling to everything. I looked like I was tarred and feathered when I was done.

I wanted to make sure the silicon fully cured so I got started on trying to pick the location of the mids/highs. I'm trying to do (4) 6 3/4" per side up front.

I can fit 2 per kick panel. I removed the parking brake assembly to make more room and relocated part of the fuse panel.

Picture031.jpg

I'm not sure if I like this lay out here or not yet. I'm going to play around with it a bit more before I pull the trigger on it.

Picture034.jpg

Oh my, you got a lot of work ahead of you for fitting all those up front. Should look sweet though. :drink40:

Oh my, you got a lot of work ahead of you for fitting all those up front. Should look sweet though. :drink40:

I'm still debating on if I like how 4 look there. I may just do 3 since putting a single driver in the door will save lots of time. I'm going to pull the door panel off to check for clearance before I go any further in the design.

Here is a another pic of the ride.

Picture035.jpg

Drilled the top and put a few screws in it so I could get all the edges sanded even before routering the corners over. It will need more sanding to smooth it all down if I decide to satin it.

Picture036.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Fits nicely with room for the amps and hydraulic set up. I should even be able to keep a spare tire as well.

Picture041.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Looking at that you may want to start building furniture instead of speaker enclosures! Great Work!

Looking at that you may want to start building furniture instead of speaker enclosures! Great Work!

Thanks. I just wish I had the cash and room to pick up some good wood working tools. I'd love to get into doing more wood working but I desperately need a good table saw to be able to make precise cuts. If it doesn't sound goof I'll just turn it into a cool toy box for my daughter. lol.

Lookin real good

Love the wood work. I need a nice round over bit, that jasper wouldn't hurt either. I have a cheap one that if you don't make sure it's 120% tight it will slide out of place.