outhopu

My new hooptie, 1980 CoupeDeville. Bumping on a budget.

From your cut out sheet How much was done at the store? How close to measurements did they get? and how much did it cost for them to cut for you?

Thats a bad ass box!!!!

Lookin real good

Thanks.

Love the wood work. I need a nice round over bit, that jasper wouldn't hurt either. I have a cheap one that if you don't make sure it's 120% tight it will slide out of place.

Thanks. Good tools make a huge difference for sure. I don't know why I waited 15 years to finally buy a few wood working tools.

From your cut out sheet How much was done at the store? How close to measurements did they get? and how much did it cost for them to cut for you?

Thats a bad ass box!!!!

I had the top, bottom, sides, and baffle pieces cut since they were the longest cuts. I did all the rest at home with a circular saw and a guide. The cuts were pretty close but I will tell you it's a total crap shoot wether they turn out right or not. The guy stressed they would only be "rough cuts" and couldn't promise me anything. I was cool about it and asked if he would just do his best and that there was a few bucks tip in it for him. He didn't even write me up for any cut charges so it worked out good for me. I do all my work alone and don't own a table saw so trying to do that many cuts with a circular saw probably wouldn't of produced any better results. Thanks by the way.

Ive had so-so results with having places like that make my cuts.. first time i went in they told me the same thing..they wont be perfect and i just told him to do his best. Guy cut me out an entire 3 1/2 cube enclosure just about and he did it damn good.. i tipped him about $10.. went back a month later for another box.. total garbage, i was pissed i had to pay for the wood after that shit. So ya.. its a roll of the dice.

I saw this post a few days ago but didnt pay much attention that it was you doing it. All the work you do is badass, ill be checking back here to see any updates you share with us. keep up the good work bro.

The Box came out super clean looking Hopper. Good choice of building material. I am interested in seeing how the front stage comes out.

You sure love them Caddy's. My dad is a Caddy lover too, he probably still has a 500ci or two stashed.

Looks nice!

As far as having Lowes cut it with their panel saw, yes it is a crap shoot if you get someone who knows how to use a tape and take the time to do it. But 99% of the time you give them a measurement and they make a line and cut it. Then don't take into account the width of the blade. What I have found is see what thickness blade they are using and add that to your cuts. So long as they mark it right the cuts will be much better.

I saw this post a few days ago but didnt pay much attention that it was you doing it. All the work you do is badass, ill be checking back here to see any updates you share with us. keep up the good work bro.

Thanks. I really try hard to improve the quality of my work with each project. However this build will not be super elaborate in the interest of time. I haven't had a car thats cruise worthty in close to 3 years and I just want to get it on the road asap. If it all sounds good I'll work on making it look better at a later date.

The Box came out super clean looking Hopper. Good choice of building material. I am interested in seeing how the front stage comes out.

You sure love them Caddy's. My dad is a Caddy lover too, he probably still has a 500ci or two stashed.

Thanks. I'm loving the birch it's so much nicer to work with. As for the front stage my main goal is just to make sure it gets real loud without distorting. I'm not really worried about imaging or stereo seperation and all that jazz. I tend to play mostly rap when I'm riding so loud and clear is all thats needed for this ride. I love old GMs in general. I've got a 81 Pontiac Bonneville also thats turned into a super long project which is the reason why I picked this one up.

Looks nice!

As far as having Lowes cut it with their panel saw, yes it is a crap shoot if you get someone who knows how to use a tape and take the time to do it. But 99% of the time you give them a measurement and they make a line and cut it. Then don't take into account the width of the blade. What I have found is see what thickness blade they are using and add that to your cuts. So long as they mark it right the cuts will be much better.

Thanks.

Got a little bit done today.

I opted not to cram the 4th speaker in the front of the door. Just don't have the time to do a door pod that would look good. So I'm using the 4th speaker in the rear of the door so the rear seat passengers don't feel left out.

Picture044.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Trimmed the door panels for clearnce, mounted the crossovers, soldiered the wires together, and tied the wires to the panel.

Picture049.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Cut the openings in the door and covered the rough edge with some duct tape to keep from slicing my hand open.

Picture047.jpg

Picture048.jpg

Made some mounting rings for a more solid mounting surface.

Picture046.jpg

Mounted the rings making sure the screws all grabbed the sheetmetal of the door to make the mount as solid as possible.

Picture053.jpg

One door down.

Picture055.jpg

I pulled the lid back off the sub enclosure and cut a groove in it and did the same silicon gasket trick on it also.

Picture057.jpg

As always lookin' good!! Keep it coming!!

great work. would love to see what you do in your garage.

is it going to be a front stage setup with subs? or is it front 3, rear 1 with subs?

As always lookin' good!! Keep it coming!!

I'm trying. We just got 3 or 4" of snow today. This weather is killing me. I just can't get the ball rolling and keep it rolling.

great work. would love to see what you do in your garage.

is it going to be a front stage setup with subs? or is it front 3, rear 1 with subs?

I don't know if you saw this build or not. But it gives you an idea of what I do in the garage for the most part. Pages 1-12 are the audio build and the chassis work starts on 13.

I'll be running all the 6 3/4"s off a 2 channel amp. The speakers are 2 ohm so I'll be doing a series parrallel configuration to give me a stereo 2 ohm load. The subs will be run off a pair of mono amps. I'm not worried about being able to fade between the speakers since the ones in the rear of the door are low and the seat blocks them from my ears.

Thanks guys.

Edited by outhopu

i mean actually watch you work in your garage. I'm not far from you. I not see what you're saying with the speaker setup. looks like it'll end up great. keep going

I like it !!! :drink40: I would like to cruize in it ... :fing34:

i mean actually watch you work in your garage. I'm not far from you. I not see what you're saying with the speaker setup. looks like it'll end up great. keep going

Where about do you live? I don't mind company as long as they are the honest hard working type.

I like it !!! :drink40: I would like to cruize in it ... :fing34:

I'm looking forward to being able to take my daughter out for a cruise in it. It's been a while since we have been able to and she is super excited to get to ride in it.

Progress...

Both doors are now done.

Picture.jpg

Now I need the weather to warm up a bit so I can start glassing up a set of kick panels.

Looking good as usual! Keep up the great work!

looks great...!!!

Oh yeah, looking good!! Can't wait to see the kicks come together!!

Picture.jpg

Effing awesome. Not everyday you get to put both the front speakers and the rear speakers in the same door. :P Looks good, definitely going to be a very nice cruiser. :woot:

Thanks guys.

Nothing beats an old school GM 2 door in my eyes. I won't even buy an old school unless it's a 2 door. I realy wish I had the time to do door builds and keep all 4 up front but this will work for now.

Started prepping the passenger kick panel area for some fiberglass but was unable to get any glass down due to the heavy rain that rolled in. :angry:

I used a double layer of foil to be on the safe side.

Picture060.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Pulled the lid back off the enclosure to check on the "gasket" and to run the wires for the subs. I feel good about the gasket idea. It looks like everything is going to seal up real nice.

Picture059.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Now I just need some dry days to get the kick panels done.

Got back on laying down some glass today.

I actually used some spray adhesive on the foil to keep the cloth in place while I brushed the resin on. It worked out pretty good. It's just going to take forever to cure since it's not nearly warm enough outside. I did a couple layers of heavy weight cloth.

Picture062.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Moved onto to dropping the subs in and getting them wired.

Picture066.jpg

I did the connections different than I usually do. Not sure if this the standard way but I usually slide the wire into the hole on the side and run the nut down. I liked how this new way keeps the wires from touching anything they aren't suppose to.

Picture064.jpg

Picture065.jpg

All wired up and bolted down. I also ran a bead of silicon down the ports to keep them from rattling against the sides of the enclosure.

Picture067.jpg

Since the rear sealed chamber is the same specs as what they call for when running these sealed I think I'm going to leave the lid off and tune the sub amps in before closing it up. One bad thing about bandpass boxes is it's harder to hear distortion in the drivers.

Alright got the kicks to cooking!! Awaiting the next step!

Like seeing FG jobs, want to do a pair of pods myself someday. You guys that make it look easy are my inspiration. What's the difference in using a heavier material, like you did rather than smaller pieces of lighter material, like "kitty hair" or whatever it's called.

Alright got the kicks to cooking!! Awaiting the next step!

Well then here it is. The other side is glassed up. Sun was actually shining so it helped bake them both once the car was closed up.

Picture069.jpg

Like seeing FG jobs, want to do a pair of pods myself someday. You guys that make it look easy are my inspiration. What's the difference in using a heavier material, like you did rather than smaller pieces of lighter material, like "kitty hair" or whatever it's called.

The woven cloth that I use comes in different oz. per yard ratings. A heavier cloth is thicker and will get you strength using much fewer layers. The down side is it leaves a rough surface and can be difficult to get it to lay down without wrinkles. Lighter cloth requires more layers to be layed up to make it strong but is easier to get it to lay down wrinkle free and leaves a smoother finish. I never use chopped mat because it's weaker pound for pound compared to a woven cloth piece. The biggest mistake I see people make is using too much resin when doing glass work. The strength is in the cloth not the resin. Resin is just a binder and a part that is too rich in resin is heavier and weaker, not stronger as most will lead you to believe.

Good info, thanks! That's something im worried about, getting the mixture correct. Someday i'll tackle a FG job. Once/if i ever decide on 2 pairs of 6.5" , 2 drivers in each door. Keep up the progress! :fing34: