outhopu

My new hooptie, 1980 CoupeDeville. Bumping on a budget.

Good info, thanks! That's something im worried about, getting the mixture correct. Someday i'll tackle a FG job. Once/if i ever decide on 2 pairs of 6.5" , 2 drivers in each door. Keep up the progress! :fing34:

Anytime. I try to share what I know as much as possible. I've learned a lot over the last few years by just checking out other peoples build ups. Sometimes all it takes is a few good pics to make the light bulb turn on and better understand how to do something you though would never be possible.

Getting closer...

Trimmed the base roughly to size and bonded the baffles on using Tigerhair body filler to hold them in place for the next step.I roughed up the surface with a 36 grit disc for good adhesion.

Picture070.jpg

Picture071.jpg

Picture073.jpg

Picture072.jpg

I was in a hurry to get some foam poured tonight so I did get the pics of the prep work for the foam. Here is one side very close to being ready for final layer of glass. I'm trying to make them look like they belong there. None of that stretched fleece look going on here.

Picture075.jpg

Picture076.jpg

Great work and example of how good pics will turn the light on!! :+1:

The pods are coming together nicely!! What do mean you don't a fleece volcano? j/k

Great work and example of how good pics will turn the light on!! :+1:

Thanks. I doubt that I would have figure out half of what I know on my own, so much of how I do my work stems from tweaking other peoples techniques.

The pods are coming together nicely!! What do mean you don't a fleece volcano? j/k

I use to think the volcano look was cool but I feel an evolution of fiberglass work is long overdue. I just like a more refined look these days. Thanks.

I trimmed the driver side and prepped it for foam filling.

Picture077.jpg

Taped it up leaving a strip open for pouring the foam.

Picture078.jpg

After pouring the foam I taped the opening up to keep the foam from flowing out. By sealing it up it forces the foam to expand into the corners and tight spots better.

Notice how much foam is sticking out of the cup. Thats just from the residual amount left over on the sides and bottom of the cup after pouring. It only took 10oz of foam mix (5oz part A & 5oz. part B) to fill the pod completely

Picture080.jpg

Removed all the tape and will begin shaping the foam to it's final contour.

Picture081.jpg

Just read your build. It looks really good. Good build to read because you show really well how to do things. Nice build

Loooookeen goooooood! :fing34: (That was my best Freddy Prince impersonation. :peepwall: )

On with the next progressive slide show Please!!

Just read your build. It looks really good. Good build to read because you show really well how to do things. Nice build

A big part of why I do detailed builds is to help others do better builds of their own. Glad your enjoying the build, and thanks.

Loooookeen goooooood! :fing34: (That was my best Freddy Prince impersonation. :peepwall: )

Thanks.

On with the next progressive slide show Please!!

Ok, on to the next...

I was able to get a layer of glass laid down on each pod today.

I used my air stapler to keep the cloth pulled tight over the corners while wetting it out with resin.

Picture085.jpg

Picture086.jpg

Picture087.jpg

I'll be removing the foam from inside the pods now to give as large of an enclosure as possible for the speakers. I'll also be filling them with poly fill.

Moving right along! Does the resin soak into the foam making it difficult to get out? So you are using the foam as the shape and skeleton for the matting?

nice work, someday I'll give it a shot

wow nice work man! I love it!

quick question though with the ports being on top of 2 out of 4 woofer will that not give you an issue with sub loading or something along those lines?

also that box looks very nice!! I hope it all turns out good for you man!

Moving right along! Does the resin soak into the foam making it difficult to get out? So you are using the foam as the shape and skeleton for the matting?

The foam does not absorb the resin. Yes the foam is simply there to provide the shape I want the glass to be. It's a bit of a pain getting the foam out because it's pretty sturdy stuff. The reason I'm removing the foam is since these pods aren't attached to a door that I could vent them into I wanted as much volume possible. I'm not sure what the "rules" are for mounting these drivers in a sealed box. I'm guessing since they play I/B in doors and rear decks, that bigger is better.

nice work, someday I'll give it a shot

Thanks. Once you do it a couple times you'll be amazed at what you'll be able to create.

I'm jealous of your glass skillz! :P

Everythings looking great, This is a perfect example of 90% install, 10% equipment. You the man :drink40:

quick question though with the ports being on top of 2 out of 4 woofer will that not give you an issue with sub loading or something along those lines?

Thanks.

Honestly, I have no idea what the ports being the way they are is going to do. I'm not into all the brainiac rocket science of building enclosures. If it doesn't sound right I'm just going to convert it into a sealed box, the rear sealed chamber is already the size needed for a regular sealed box. I'm sure between the 2 options 1 of them will work out.

Everythings looking great, This is a perfect example of 90% install, 10% equipment. You the man :drink40:

Thanks. I'm just making the best of what I have.

Edited by outhopu

Got my vote!

Thanks.

Honestly, I have no idea what the ports being the way they are is going to do. I'm not into all the brainiac rocket science of building enclosures. If it doesn't sound right I'm just going to convert it into a sealed box, the rear sealed chamber is already the size needed for a regular sealed box. I'm sure between the 2 options 1 of them will work out.

Thanks. I'm just making the best of what I have.

you are well planned ahead! that is awesome!!!!

Still learning new ways to glass, every time i look at this thread. Keep up the slide shows! Have you mentioned what you're going to cover the pods with yet?

you are well planned ahead! that is awesome!!!!

I try. It doesn't always work out as I plan though. That was the main reason why I decided to give the bandpass design a try since it didn't leave me building a completely new box if it didn't work out.

Still learning new ways to glass, every time i look at this thread. Keep up the slide shows! Have you mentioned what you're going to cover the pods with yet?

I learn new stuff everytime I do another build. I'm obsessed with finding better ways of doing things. I haven't decided yet about what to finish them with. If I can get my hands on some quality vinyl thats a good match I'd like to wrap them to keep an oem look about them. If all else fails I'll paint them with a low gloss automotive interior paint.

A little closer...

I removed the foam and used some 36 grit to rough up the surface to prep them for body filler.

Picture088.jpg

Got the base layer of filler on and also thinned some filler out with fiberglass resin and poured it inside the pods and coated the insides to lock any loose debris from the foam in place.

Picture088.jpg

Tomorrow should bring good progress hopefully. It's suppose to be sunny.

wow, really coming along! watching closely, still :woot:

Those are lookin' great!!! Git-R-Done!!

Thanks guys.

Here is the pic that should have been the 2nd pic in my last post. I don't see and edit button to change the post.

Picture089.jpg

More pics later.

Just about ready for paint or vinyl. Not sure what I'm doing yet on them.

Picture093.jpg

Picture090.jpg

I just need to test fit the other side and drill out some mounting points in them to attach them to the body. I'm going to see if I can get started on the amp racks tomorrow.

Awesome Work!!! They look Very Slick!!