eggyhustles

If your son rapped about raping women and popping pills

10 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• whip his ass
    • send him away
    • sit him down and talk

There's this 16 yr old rapper named Earl Sweatshirt who raps about all kinds of crazy stuff. His mother is a professor and was recommended his mixtape by one of her students. Once she heard it and figured out it was her son, she sent him away to a boarding school in Samoa. He's part of a group called "odd future" who has an enormous buzz in the music industry right now. They're traveling the world performing, getting magazine covers, and making millions while earl is stuck at a boarding school.

Here's one of the songs she heard

Article

earl-sweatshirt-cra-lead.jpg

While the #FreeEARL movement isn’t over, real OFWGKTA can be at ease knowing that the teenage rhymeaholic has been located. Through the super sleuthing of the internet and putting pieces together by statements in songs and elsewhere, Complex tracked down the MIA golf wang emcee. Sources indicate that Earl (real name Thebe Kgositsile) is enrolled at the Coral Reef Academy in Samoa (against his will) by the hand of his overbearing mother that wasn’t pleased with his antics as Earl Sweatshirt.

It hasn’t yet been divulged if Thebe has since returned to the United States or not but I’m sure Tyler will make it known as soon as he does. The only real question left is, will he still rap? let’s hope for the best.

As a parent, what would you do?

IMO, Music is an art and a form of expression. Rap music contains many levels and simply listening and taking the lyrics at face value can make it seem horrible even if there is a deeper meaning. Just look at Eminem who draws a lot of flack for his lyrics, yet his songs have a much deeper meaning that many people miss. There is afterall a huge difference between singing/rapping about such things and actually doing them.

If my son was rapping about those types of things, I think it would certainly warrant a conversation to understand his motivation and what meaning he finds in the lyrics. Punishing him, wouldn't even enter into the conversation.

Depends what he's rapping about. If he was raised right, he probably wouldn't rap about raping bitches, cutting arms off, and putting bodies into plastic bags. :ughdunno:

Depends what he's rapping about. If he was raised right, he probably wouldn't rap about raping bitches, cutting arms off, and putting bodies into plastic bags. :ughdunno:

^^^This!!!

Whip his ass!

^This, does not have much to do with the way he was raised,thats just blaming others for ones problem. :lol2:

His problem is that his parents did not beat his ass near enough.

That video was crazy haha when he pulled his thumbnail off. I know the lyrics etc are bad but just the stuff they were doing in the video was messed up lol

This is not rap, this is hip hop. Rap is when the person is telling a story of their life and stuggles. Hip hop is just bling and bullshit to make money. I have no respect for those in hip hop, they are only concerned about the money. The thing about the great ones is they came straight and from the heart. Tupac, Eminem, NWA, Dre, Snoop, hell even Master P back in the day, they rapped from the heart. They let everyone know what is going on in their world. They were telling a story not just spitting about bitches and money and cars. Hell, we can even go back to Kool Moe Dee, Doug E Fresh, SLick Rick, all the pioneers. Everything out now is just marketing bull.

This is not rap, this is hip hop. Rap is when the person is telling a story of their life and stuggles. Hip hop is just bling and bullshit to make money. I have no respect for those in hip hop, they are only concerned about the money. The thing about the great ones is they came straight and from the heart. Tupac, Eminem, NWA, Dre, Snoop, hell even Master P back in the day, they rapped from the heart. They let everyone know what is going on in their world. They were telling a story not just spitting about bitches and money and cars. Hell, we can even go back to Kool Moe Dee, Doug E Fresh, SLick Rick, all the pioneers. Everything out now is just marketing bull.

You forgot lil wayne and wiz khalifia. :roflmao:

Has nothing to do with this topic....

That first video was just messed up!!! I was to busy being disgusted by the video to even listen to the lyrics!! If any of the video was real, these kids have a world of hurt and prison terms ahead of them!!

That first video was just messed up!!! I was to busy being disgusted by the video to even listen to the lyrics!! If any of the video was real, these kids have a world of hurt and prison terms ahead of them!!

nah, more like millions of dollars and super stardom

odd-future-billboard-magazine-cover.jpg

This is not rap, this is hip hop. Rap is when the person is telling a story of their life and stuggles. Hip hop is just bling and bullshit to make money.

Rap is a component to hip hop music, much in the same way a guitarist or a bassist is a component of a jazz or rock group.

If I was the parent I'd be upset... But my perspective is that this is expression regardless of the words or images displayed I think there is nothing simply wrong with it... I do think this kid "Earl" definitely has a decent flow and kind of had a Kid Cudi type thing going on... Either way, I don't think it is particularly "parental failure" at hand but environment and exposure....

Either way, his mom did what she thought was right and that is her right... I would download their CD.... lol ... Sounds better than half the shyt on the radio today..

I still listen to alot of older music since I cannot totally keep up with the current music going on....although my taste is not that popular or known. :peepwall:

If I was the parent I'd be upset... But my perspective is that this is expression regardless of the words or images displayed I think there is nothing simply wrong with it... I do think this kid "Earl" definitely has a decent flow and kind of had a Kid Cudi type thing going on... Either way, I don't think it is particularly "parental failure" at hand but environment and exposure....

Either way, his mom did what she thought was right and that is her right... I would download their CD.... lol ... Sounds better than half the shyt on the radio today..

I still listen to alot of older music since I cannot totally keep up with the current music going on....although my taste is not that popular or known. :peepwall:

Funny thing is, this is all gonna backfire on her.

He's more popular than ever. Most of his videos have 600k+ plays and mtv jus ran an article about his disappearance. I think she's an idiot. She fucked him out of millions of dollars because she doesn't agree with his lyrics.

You are incorrectly assuming that millions of dollars and super stardom eliminates the possibility of them being in for a world of hurt and prison terms. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I think she's an idiot. She fucked him out of millions of dollars because she doesn't agree with his lyrics.

You've mentioned this atleast three times in this thread, as if the money is the only thing that matters in this conversation or the only thing the mother should be concerned about. It's pretty obvious the money is irrelevant to the mother. The actual core issues to the "story" have nothing to do with money, it doesn't belong anywhere in the conversation. It's irrelevant.

Would you feel differently if they weren't gaining popularity, making money and appearing on magazine covers? Would you suddenly view her behavior as being acceptable if he was still an unknown artist?

You are incorrectly assuming that millions of dollars and super stardom eliminates the possibility of them being in for a world of hurt and prison terms. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I think she's an idiot. She fucked him out of millions of dollars because she doesn't agree with his lyrics.

You've mentioned this atleast three times in this thread, as if the money is the only thing that matters in this conversation or the only thing the mother should be concerned about. It's pretty obvious the money is irrelevant to the mother. The actual core issues to the "story" have nothing to do with money, it doesn't belong anywhere in the conversation. It's irrelevant.

Would you feel differently if they weren't gaining popularity, making money and appearing on magazine covers? Would you suddenly view her behavior as being acceptable if he was still an unknown artist?

I'd feel the same way. How is this any different from the legions of kids writing metal music about similar subject matter? Or a kid writing a novel or short story with a horror element? Or a kid producing anime/manga/etc? Or a kid making a low-budget horror movie? Or making a violent video game? You dont want your kid to follow his dreams when he has a real good chance of making it big in an industry where so few succeed??

All of the above aren't unusual for any high school student.

Oh, I forgot. Hip hop is held to a different standard than almost any other form of entertainment.

Honestly reminds me of the wutang clan when they were outrageously popular with teens and parents freaked out. Same concept

I'd feel the same way. How is this any different from the legions of kids writing metal music about similar subject matter? Or a kid writing a novel or short story with a horror element? Or a kid producing anime/manga/etc? Or a kid making a low-budget horror movie? Or making a violent video game? You dont want your kid to follow his dreams when he has a real good chance of making it big in an industry where so few succeed??

Oh, I forgot. Hip hop is held to a different standard than almost any other form of entertainment.

I wasn't arguing for or against her actions and decisions.

Simply pointing out if you want to argue against what she's doing, do so for reasons not related to the money, which seems to be your primary focus in the story but is really irrelevant to either her actions or the core issues of the story.

I wasn't arguing for or against her actions and decisions.

Simply pointing out if you want to argue against what she's doing, do so for reasons not related to the money, which seems to be your primary focus in the story but is really irrelevant to either her actions or the core of the story.

I see. TBH, why do we get up every morning and work our 9 to 5's? For money. Most of us aren't going to work because we want to. We go because we have to. Rap is very very harmless. I think instead of freaking out at the content of the lyrics and videos...she should have just kept close tabs and embraced it. She's forcing him in a direction in which he doesn't want to go. I'm sure 80% of SSA if not 90% are regular guys that work various careers. But that's a CHOICE we made, right? Those were our life decisions. Earl didn't even have a chance to make a choice. If he isn't acting on the things he raps about I don't see the harm.

If anyone is interested, the leader of the group breaks down the rape stuff

start at 1:27

Edited by eggyhustles

Or a kid producing anime/manga/etc?

?? Don't see how that is similar to what Earl is doing at all.

Or a kid producing anime/manga/etc?

?? Don't see how that is similar to what Earl is doing at all.

how is it not?