Same effect as turning up your gain, ie you are going to clip if you do that. You can't boost beyond the limits of your gear. Definitely the completely WRONG reason for an eq. Save your dough.

I like having an eq. My HU has one built in and works decent. But by no means as extensive as a full standalone unit. I like being able to tweak some. My main issue is my hearing is very sensitive to mid range frequencies, and not so much on the higher end. A simple bass/treble adjustment doesn't do it for me.

But a $1000 eq won't make a poor system sound any better.

What you mean by that

I mean it sounds like you need a bigger amp not an EQ and bass boost.

If you go turning up bass boost and boost low frequencies on a EQ too, you will smoke your subs quickly. Your friend is giving you bad advice.

Actually I dont know if I even need an eq for bass boost cause I didn't install my subs yet lol the way he was explaining it to me mad me want one. But 3500 watts to two z 15's I dout I will need anything else

Same effect as turning up your gain, ie you are going to clip if you do that. You can't boost beyond the limits of your gear. Definitely the completely WRONG reason for an eq. Save your dough.

What you mean by that

I mean it sounds like you need a bigger amp not an EQ and bass boost.

If you go turning up bass boost and boost low frequencies on a EQ too, you will smoke your subs quickly. Your friend is giving you bad advice.

X2

External EQ will not solve your problem, it'll just create more issues and be a waste of money.

Actually I dont know if I even need an eq for bass boost cause I didn't install my subs yet lol the way he was explaining it to me mad me want one. But 3500 watts to two z 15's I dout I will need anything else

No you wont.

Set the gains correctly on that amp and show your friend with the bad advice how wrong he is. LOL

:drink40:

Although I'm a noob I have set volume /gains before clipping from the headunit on down and that is my headunit clips at 28 on volume with bass boost off and built in EQ set to zero. From there I go to RCA's coming out of the clarion EQ and on mine with all the dials centered the volume and sub knobs are about 3/4 turned up with no clipping. Overall I understand it might not be needed but I just don't like how everything sounds with out it. I might just like the fact that the pre out voltage might be giving out a cleaner signal and thats what I like.

From there I go to RCA's coming out of the clarion EQ and on mine with all the dials centered the volume and sub knobs are about 3/4 turned up with no clipping.

Without knowing specifically which knobs you are talking about and what them being "centered" means, it's entirely possible that you are indeed clipping.

I might just like the fact that the pre out voltage might be giving out a cleaner signal and thats what I like.

Not sure what you mean by preamp voltage being cleaner. Assuming you have your gains set correctly there would be no difference in sound just because you had a higher preamp voltage, unless you have a shit ton of induced noise or an extremely noisy amplifier.

On mine centered dials means how they came out of the box all 7 bands have this little dot and when you turn each one theirs a little indention at the "12 O'clock" position.

when I run my RCA's straight to amps everything sounds weak compared to using the Clarion EQ. It has 7volt pre outs I guess that has something to do with it over the 4 volt out my headunit. The only reason why I keep using it is because everything sounds better with it

On mine centered dials means how they came out of the box all 7 bands have this little dot and when you turn each one theirs a little indention at the "12 O'clock" position.

when I run my RCA's straight to amps everything sounds weak compared to using the Clarion EQ. It has 7volt pre outs I guess that has something to do with it over the 4 volt out my headunit. The only reason why I keep using it is because everything sounds better with it

That is a gain setting problem without it, not a benefit of the eq.

Is the center position zero boost or cut (0db)? Or is there some level of boosting at that setting?

And preamp voltage has nothing to do with how the stereo sounds. 7v output and 4V output will sound exactly the same with a properly set gain.

this is pretty much all you see on it

DSC05531.jpg

This is the specs

# 7-Band Rotary Equalizer

# 12 dB Boost/Cut at 50 Hz, 125 Hz, 345 Hz, 750 Hz, 2.2 KHz, 6 KHz, and 16 kHz

# Auxiliary Input with Source Select Switch

# Adjustable Aux Input Sensitivity

# Subwoofer Output Level Control

# Gold-Plated Preamp Inputs and Outputs

# Rotary Volume Control and Fader

# 6-Channel RCA Outputs

# Selectable 60/90 Hz Low-Pass Crossover

# Crossover Slope: 12 dB/octave

# Maximum Output Level: 7V RMS

# Input Sensitivity: 50mV–4V RMS

# Signal-To-Noise Ratio (S/N): 105 dB

# Frequency Response: 10-50,000 Hz

# Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): 0.005 %

# Input Impedance: 10K Ohms

# Output Impedance: 50K Ohms

# Stereo Separation: 82 dB @ 1 kHz

In the ad it says this,

At each of the band centers, a 12 dB boost/cut is offered to precisely adjust the frequencies of each band. It also features a dedicated subwoofer level output for enhanced subwoofer control.

Edited by crunkjuice1