Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

Whoops!

Well during our testing tonight we had ... a development. :Doh:

We tested two prototypes tonight and when we took the second prototype out the motor fell off.

The prototype that survived was our mid-line prototype that we got in a few days ago.

And in case I haven't posted about it, we are coming out with a mid-line speaker. They'll be available in 10's and 12's.

So yeah, here's some pics. The first two pics are of the busted driver and the third pic is of our new mid-line 12.

lol im guessing thats your introduction to the new midline? watsit gonna be called?

Uhh. . . . . . . . . .

Oooo a mid-line ... nice :)

I can't wait to hear about the price:performance ratio. :domoslay:

Haha, the driver that fell apart wasn't from our current build house. The driver that lost its motor was from a build house that we were toying around with using parts from. Jake literally picked up the driver and said "whoops!" when the basket/assembly came up and the motor stayed in the box. It was quite funny.

The prototype from our current build house (picture 3 BTW) held up without fault. It sounds like a Mag but without the output that a Mag is capable of (expected). It is everything we could have asked for and we are going ahead with the idea.

The driver that lost its motor was from a build house that we were toying around with using parts from.  Jake literally picked up the driver and said "whoops!" when the basket/assembly came up and the motor stayed in the box. 

I believe that that is what is referred to as the 'paper plate on a voice coil' driver ;):finger:

Yeah, I wasn't happy with its build from the get-go but when it's motor fell off that pretty much sealed the deal.

The prototype from our current build house uses a much smaller motor and smaller coil than what's on the Mag but it still performed very well. "It was topical, it was erotic, I give it a 9.5! I still got wood!" (can anyone name the movie where that quote comes from?) I seriously need to charge the batteries in our camera - I should have taken a video of the proto moving. We had it going a solid inch to an inch and a half. It was neat seeing the SI logo move that far knowing it was a mid-line speaker.

2 Questions: Price Point ? gimmie like a within $100 ish rough guess, if the price is right I can probably sell ALOT of these to my friends...

Also, how big is the coil? If it's right I may need to be getting ahld of you for some "custom work" if you're willing.

2.5" coil & nice efficiency (i assume/hope)...

Sounds damned good Nick.

Yeah I know I said 10's are for wussies ;) but a lot of people have been asking for them and I understand how some literally cannot have anything larger than a 10" due to vehicle limits. Right now it's 10's and 12's on the drawing board.

wow thats great news, that will really help business, and it will get SI out to a larger customer base

I'm glad the motor fell off that other proto...those baskets are so ugly...

We plopped the protos in my install in the BMW. As Nick said our real-deal prototype sounds damn near identical to a full fledged D2 except with less output potential. I was very impressed... the proto mid-line actually had plenty of output for what I'm looking for out of a subwoofer.

We plopped the protos in my install in the BMW. As Nick said our real-deal prototype sounds damn near identical to a full fledged D2 except with less output potential. I was very impressed... the proto mid-line actually had plenty of output for what I'm looking for out of a subwoofer.

Um, we REQUIRE pics you tease.

is there a name chosen?