Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

Whoops!

Hunt Cup...

Say it outloud and for some reason it reminds me of saying "Mike Hunt" out loud....

:shurg:

Hunt Cup...

Say it outloud and for some reason it reminds me of saying "Mike Hunt" out loud....

:shurg:

the scary thing is that there was a Mike Hunt in school, a year older than me

:greddy2:

Precisely.

Then whats the piont of it lol...

:lol2:

We plopped the protos in my install in the BMW. As Nick said our real-deal prototype sounds damn near identical to a full fledged D2 except with less output potential. I was very impressed... the proto mid-line actually had plenty of output for what I'm looking for out of a subwoofer.

Um, we REQUIRE pics you tease.

I attached a pic of the mess I have right now in the trunk... it isn't of the proto (thats a Mag installed), but hey, it's all I got :)

Edited by sundownz

now dats a clean install

*laughs*

95% of the wires are tied up in bundles with zip ties, thats about as neat as it gets in my trunk and the moment.

This isn't an issue since I'm building a raised false floor to cover the whole deal. I'll have some slats cut-out to pass the bass through (might even use 4-6 end-pieces from aeroports), but it'll otherwise be solid. Even the slats or port holes will be covered with the factory rubberized carpet piece.

I just need to get the install nailed down before I build this floor... the mess of wires and crap you see on the left is the bundle of resistors and barrier strips I used to make 4 seperate L-Pads for my mids and tweeters to even out their output relative to the midbass drivers (which were equalized with the L-R balance). Still only 90% certain that is totally correct, so suffice to say it's not ready to roll :)

how do you like the soundstream amps?

See those right-angle adapters for the RCA's on the right amplifier? They're so close to the sub that they have to be removed in order to get the speaker out. It's a TIGHT install and when Jake gets done it'll look like the factory floor is there and nothing more.

But that BMW trunk is a bass TRAP. Like he said, only two little holes that bass is coming through.

Can't wait to see the final pics.

They are decent for the cost, although all in all the small MTX is a better sounding amp (hence it's application on the midrange drivers). Of course the MTX has next to nothing as far as crossover functionality (full, and 85 Hz selectrable HP or LP). If I had it to do over... I'd probably purchase something else. This is definatly not up to par with the likes of old school Soundstream and the current upper lines of Soundstream.

They are decent for the cost, although all in all the small MTX is a better sounding amp (hence it's application on the midrange drivers). Of course the MTX has next to nothing as far as crossover functionality (full, and 85 Hz selectrable HP or LP). If I had it to do over... I'd probably purchase something else. This is definatly not up to par with the likes of old school Soundstream and the current upper lines of Soundstream.

have you thought about a ZED 4 channel with burr brown?

have you thought about a ZED 4 channel with burr brown?

Zed doesn't make anything small enough to fit where I need it to. I thought about alot of stuff but it comes down to what fit in there and wasn't going to cost me a fortune. The HiFonics ZX6000 I wanted to use at 14.88" x 2.63" x 10.39" didn't even come close to fitting. The Zed 4-Channel is 17.48" x 2.91" x 11.9" so it's definatly out of the question.

For comparison the Soundstream amps are 9.5" x 2.5" x 6" in size, and the MTX 4122 is even smaller than they are, but I only had one of them and it's an old model.

For now it's going to work out fine. I stuck the MTX on the midrange drivers which cover most of the important stuff (350 - 7,000 Hz I believe) and that made things work out nicely.

If I want to change the setup I'd have to ditch the ZX1000, which I don't want to do, and use a small footprint Class-D amp to free up some room.