Sign in to follow this  
superman814

my first ever ported setup

all my life i have been a sealed guy, i just love the sound of a sealed setup and how low and deep they can play, so i got talked into going ported for my next system..im going with 3 18'' fi Q series, fi suggest 6-10 cu ft per sub, im thinking of going in the middle with 8 per sub, im also going to throw 800 watts at each one, what do you guys think about this? i will be using this for daily driver and i listen to both rap and rock music..so im hoping the subs can keep up with the fast beats..also 28hz sound good to you guys?

First of all, can you fit 24 cubic feet in your vehicle?

That's gonna be a big ass enclosure, should sound great and be very loud though if you can find the room. What amp/s will you be running to power them?

You're going to need more space than that.

You're going to need more space than that.

X2 if you are planning on porting the enclosure!

You've got room for about 8 cubes each sealed, you'll need a good bit more to compensate for the port, sub, bracing displacements not to mention the double or triple baffle.

It'll work perfectly fine. No it won't maximize the potential Output of the subs. But it will be louder than sealed. I have already worked up both enclosures. Going with his available dimensions he will get a relatively smooth curve with a "f" of around 31. And an f3 of about 27. Where as the "optimal" specs the box would have a 3-4 dv peak between 37 and 42 hertz. With a f3 of around 30

The smaller enclosure will have a tab bit more oomph in the lower 30's however it will not be as loud as the larger enclosure which is expected. Personally if I was dead set on 3 18's I would go with the smaller ported enclosure over a sealed enclosure. But that is my personal preference

Also, just wondering. If you listen to rap and rock and you want the kicks and stuff to be clean. Why are you tuning so low? I normally hear people who listen to slowed and low music tune to 28 and people who want to have a good sounding box for rock and rap go around 34-36.

well i said 28 hz, cause thats what fi suggests, but im open to opinions..im not one of these guys that thinks he knows everything and everything that comes out of my mouth is final..lol i honestly know nothing when it comes to enclosures and i do need help..especially being my first ported setup..i measured my space in my truck and this is basically what i have to work with

w=48''

d=44''

h=26'' but i can go 4 inches higher and kick it up to 30'' IF absolutely needed

these are my maximum specs i can go, do you guys think i should sent FI a email and change my order to 15's? ive always wanted 18's but if it means i dont have the space for them to properly operate i dont want to sacrifice quality of sound and performance just to say i have 18's...please let me know..thank you

after doing some thinking and seeing the big difference in enclosure from 15's to 18's i decided id rather go with 15's so i sent FI a email to change the subs from 18's to 15's...so now i have a different set of questons..they suggest from 28-33 hz for tuning..for my neededs of a daily driver listening to rap and rock what would you guys suggest? also for box size they suggest 2.8-4 per sub..i have 800 watts im going to throw at each one..so for my music needs and power available what would you guys suggest?

32hz in my opinion on my 18 BTL, gets loud but also sounds good when i turn the bass down. =]

Use the largest volume possible with the tuning that will give you the flatest response curve with the lowest bass extension so you can enjoy all music.

Who ever builds your box will be able to model this for you and show you what combination will work best.

However most every daily system never has a flat response. Almost all manufacturer recomended specs will have a 3-5 db boost in the 40 hertz range and still have good low end output.

If you still want me to build the enclosure I will take the time to model 5 or 6 variations to show you how the different combinations react

Use the largest volume possible with the tuning that will give you the flatest response curve with the lowest bass extension so you can enjoy all music.

Who ever builds your box will be able to model this for you and show you what combination will work best.

However most every daily system never has a flat response. Almost all manufacturer recomended specs will have a 3-5 db boost in the 40 hertz range and still have good low end output.

If you still want me to build the enclosure I will take the time to model 5 or 6 variations to show you how the different combinations react

do you prefer i contact you threw your yahoo email or pm's on here?

In my opinion I think you should go with two 18's. Slightly less cone area than 3 15's, but you can wire to one ohm and have plenty of room for a nice ported box. With the three subs depending on if you get dual 1 or 2 you will have to wire to 1.5 or 1.33, and with that amp most likely being over rated with imp rise you will probably only see ~500 a piece.

On a side note lance has 4 18's zcons in his Yukon xl which is not much longer than a tahoe and I'm sure is not "optimal" and everyone is just giddy over it.

Start another thread in my section I'll post the response curves along with the reasoning behind them so people can fully understand tuning an enclosure

do you prefer i contact you threw your yahoo email or pm's on here?

Start another thread in my section I'll post the response curves along with the reasoning behind them so people can fully understand tuning an enclosure

I'm kinda with ricksi

I'm kinda with ricksi

I'm kinda with ricksi

:roflmao: this makes me feel a little better about my fail a few minutes ago

Sign in to follow this