sundownz

Sundown SD-2 "500-watt" Line Photos

Prototypes arrived today... working on doing full break-in to measure official specs. Honestly I am super happy with the prototypes -- I do plan to tool a magnet boot and put our logo on the cap but I don't think any other changes are needed at all.

SD-2 12" Measured Mounting Depth = 5.25"

SD-2 10" Measured Mounting Depth = 4.75"

-----

Early price estimates -- MAP price (actual price paid from dealer)

(SA cost for comparison)

SA-10 v.1 : $185

SA-12 v.1 : $195

SD-2 10 : $150

SD-2 12 : $160

Pre-ordering would be something like :

SD-2 10 : $115

SD-2 12 : $125

That would be shipped in the continental 48 states.

Once I do some testing we'll have an ETA and a time when pre-ordering will begin.

-----

CIMG4937.JPG

CIMG4938.JPG

CIMG4939.JPG

CIMG4940.JPG

* Quite a bit less depth than the SA series for depth restricted applications.

nice!

what is the diameter of the motor on the SA vs the SD-2?

Also what kind a box is recommended for these SD-2s? say 0.75-1.0 cubics?

nice!

Motor diameter is the same, actually. SA looks a bit wider with the boot on is all -- both use 180mm diameter magnets. The SD-2 literally has one SA motor magnet slug.

For sealed the 10s will enjoy about 0.5 cubes and the 12s about 1.0 cube or so... can go smaller with poly-fill if you like.

Edited by sundownz

nice!

Motor diameter is the same, actually. SA looks a bit wider with the boot on is all -- both use 180mm diameter magnets. The SD-2 literally has one SA motor magnet slug.

For sealed the 10s will enjoy about 0.5 cubes and the 12s about 1.0 cube or so... can go smaller with poly-fill if you like.

this kind a sounds like a SI bm shallow subs a bit... how would these compare to something like that? or I am looking at an apple and trying to compare it to an orange?

These are much deeper than the BM MKIII and also do not feature a linear BL topology.

So in effect they are quite different woofers.

thanks this I didn't know!

again great job on releasing another line of sub! you are awesome!

So unless I missed something... These are gone be a Shallow-Mount / low power sub??

So unless I missed something... These are gone be a Shallow-Mount / low power sub??

Yes and Kinda :drink40:

Following Sundown tradition they will be pretty rugged too... obviously with less x-mech and a smaller coil not quite SA level but more than you would expect from a 500-watt "shallow" driver in this price class.

Little bit of testing while breaking it in for T/S measurements.

Getting on it pretty hard here in the video.

Awesome Vid Bro !!! Very Cool Product !!! I'd like to hear these in a vehicle !!!! :drink40::popcorn:

Yes and Kinda :drink40:

Following Sundown tradition they will be pretty rugged too... obviously with less x-mech and a smaller coil not quite SA level but more than you would expect from a 500-watt "shallow" driver in this price class.

Kool... I'll have to look into these if I ever finish the build i'm work on now... Hummm after see that video might have to talk my homie to try these on doors & skip the neo's!

Taco, Paco, and I have spent the last half hour trying to break the SD-2 prototype with no luck... two YouTube videos coming up. Ran out of camera memory on both of them trying to break it *laughs*

PS: Taco and Paco are summer interns.

Could not break it... part II uploading now as well. This thing is super rugged.

VERY COOL VID !!! :drink40: Awesome Driver !!!

:popcorn::fing34: Damn that little guy goes, don't it.

LOL and this is a "shallow" mount :popcorn:

I love all the testing videos. Thanks!

Wow... I think a subtle, yet suitable nickname for it should be: God-mode. Pretty freakin tough! Any luck on trying to destroy such a work of art? Also, is the clicking I hear the sub bottoming out, or is it something else? Wicked beastmode dudes, I'm grinning so hard right now!

Where is part II??

Why didn't you put a pole vent on these? Just the keep the ability to have the rear of the enclosure close without the air movement issues?

Wow... I think a subtle, yet suitable nickname for it should be: God-mode. Pretty freakin tough! Any luck on trying to destroy such a work of art? Also, is the clicking I hear the sub bottoming out, or is it something else? Wicked beastmode dudes, I'm grinning so hard right now!

That was the triple joint ring hitting the top plate.

That was the triple joint ring hitting the top plate.

Correct. I designed it so that ring hits before the coil -- coil smashing steel is alot more damaging than plastic ring smashing steel :)

Where is part II??

Why didn't you put a pole vent on these? Just the keep the ability to have the rear of the enclosure close without the air movement issues?

My DSL connection upload speed is SLOW so I may need to re-start it on my work system. I'll check on it later as GoToMyPC is also down this morning so I cannot remote in.

In any event... the depth issue is a large reason for no vent. Then way this driver is set up the coil still gets cool very well as you can tell.

pre order prices look good to me, ill be ordering up atleast 2 of these.

Will these be suited for Sealed or Ported?