sundownz

NS-1 and SAE-500D Prototype Pictures

CIMG4969.JPG

* An SAZ-4500D next to a pair of NS-1 prototypes.

CIMG4970.JPG

* NS-1 has speaker outputs on the other side.

CIMG4971.JPG

* Little SAE-500D Prototype hanging out -- this is not the final case; just have not tooled up the case I'll use yet.

CIMG4977.JPG

* SAE-500D guts -- stout little amp.

CIMG4978.JPG

* Guts of 4500D and NS-1

CIMG4979.JPG

* Guts from the other side.

CIMG4984.JPG

* Top view of the guts.

Inductors.jpg

* Significantly larger output inductors on the NS-1 to handle the additional power output.

Transformers.jpg

* While the NS-1 has fewer transformers they are much bigger.

I have not been able to locate my power clamp so no testing on either yet. I'll keep looking for it... not sure I'll be able to get to the NS-1 today or not due to the electrical requirements and the power handling requirements of something to test it on. Will have to set something up just to test it.

:wub:

Very impressive! The NS-1 is a beast!

New SAE-500 series going to utiize a similar casing as traditional SAZ series amps?

New SAE-500 series going to utiize a similar casing as traditional SAZ series amps?

Yes it will look as similar as possible to the SAX/SAZ lines.

SAE series looks to be small and compact. Very nice layout. Cannot wait to see more on the new SAE lineup.

very nice... saw most of these pics on facebook.... like the small footprint SAE... :fing34:

Woot woot!

Thanks for posting :)

SAE-500D Results are in... thing is a little beast of an amp! I am using my Extech Power clamp meter as usual :

380976 - Single Phase/Three Phase 1000A AC Power Clamp Meter

The results as follows -- simply a wide open test so therefore there is going to be clipping present. I am just getting an idea for what it can handle as far as abuse and what the maximum level of power that it can make without regards to THD.

1 ohm nominal - 60 Hz (two NS v.1 in ported box)

740 watts

40 v

18.5 A

2.16 ohms

0.5 nominal - 50 Hz (free air on Monster prototype v.1)

860 watts

36.5 v

23.56 A

1.54 ohms

Current Draw : 80 Amps on the dot

Voltage Drop : 14.6v to 14.0 v

Efficiency @ 14v : 76.7%

I made within a few % of 860 watts anywhere from 50-60 Hz on the test woofer.

I was pretty impressed by it... ran quite a bit of testing on it wide open like this without ever hitting protect mode on the amp or over-heating it.

So I am confident that 500-watts is a good, conservative rating for it at a reasonable THD.

Also -- the SAE-500D should run right around $200 from an authorized dealer.

I'll likely be doing testing next week on the NS-1. The 4500D was 1625 MAP and the NS-1 will be about 1900 MAP from an authorized dealer. The NS-1 actual power is expected to be ~7k on a 12v system and ~9-10k on an 18v system -- actual testing pending to make sure the design performs as expected in real applications.

I expect that we'll likely see most of these in Team Sundown / Team Sundown Russia vehicles -- with the way our Russian friends are going they might have more of them than we will in the USA :)

Looks great Jacob....just in case you don't know....the size of a torroid,isn't as important......as the turn ratio is.....that's what really matters :fing34:

Edited by Mr.Sears 153 + Trunk

The SAE-500 will be a great seller. Very nice price point.

That little sae500 is exactly what Ive been looking for to put the gf's car. Keep up the nice work Jacob! :fing34:

Fantastic!!!! I assume a presale will be coming on the 500D's??

Once I get a vehicle that I can run dual alts the NS-1 is mine :fing34:

That little sae500 is exactly what Ive been looking for to put the gf's car. Keep up the nice work Jacob! :fing34:

X2!!!!

That 500D looks pretty small in size. What are the approximate dimensions?

Can you tell us what the controls on the 500d look like? xovers? subsonic filter? Just doing a bit of brainstorming. :gayhaaay1:

Once I get a vehicle that I can run dual alts the NS-1 is mine :fing34:

Just run a big alt and 4 good batts. :) that's what I gotta do for my lil car

Some initial NS-1 testing in Brandon's truck -- we haven't gone in depth yet to see if we can squeeze more out of it; just a quick initial test before we head home today. Best clamp was 6090 watts @ 1.3 ohm actual @ 12.1 volts actual using my Extech True RMS power clamp meter about 6-8 seconds into the tone to avoid picking up initial spikes. I think we have more left in it - more testing to come as we get it dialed in a bit!

380976 - Single Phase/Three Phase 1000A AC Power Clamp Meter : This is the clamp I use here for product testing. You will find it reads much lower than using two normal clamp meters separately for voltage and current as this meter was made to measure power. So not directly comparable to any other testing but my own with the same clamp.