Angelboy863

Is it bad to buy used batteries?

Friend wants to know and idk the answer lol. He wants a kinetik battery and found one on craigslist. Kinetik 2000 for $130. We are debating whether he should buy it or not. I guess the thing to check is it's voltage?

Have you guys experienced buying used batteries?

And if it isn't bad, would you guys buy them used?

do u have a load tester?

The basic ones are very cheap and a good tool to have too.

I would measure voltage, load test for ~3seconds then measure voltage again.

I do not. I will have to buy one.

I use an old load tester on 'em the same way Shizzzon does. That's a pretty good price too.

Oh cool. Cause there was another guy selling a kinetik 1400 for $100 I might grab it. Have to buy a load tester first lol.

Here are just a few I found real quick, there are nicer ones if you're looking to spend more, but any of these would probably work just fine.

This one is similar to the one I use - http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7612-Battery-Load-Tester/dp/B0009XQUJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314459966&sr=8-1

HF has these on sale until tomorrow - http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6-volt-12-volt-battery-load-tester-90636.html

This one looks good for the price - http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BT-100-Battery-Load-Tester/dp/B000AMBOI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314459966&sr=8-2

Thanks ohjay! It's Funny because harborfreighttools was the first store I thought about going to for a load tester. I might go later today depending on my work schedule.

Yea batts on craigs list are pretty shaddy every time I ask what voltage it rests at no one responds

I bought a used battery on here, and it's fine... as far as i can tell :D But he is a reputable seller, not some random dude on craigslist.

Alot of them probably don't know what you're talking about steveo.

Yea batts on craigs list are pretty shaddy every time I ask what voltage it rests at no one responds

word of advice, even if they show a pic, or hell, even a video of them measuring rest voltage on a battery, that doesn't mean it's good!

If i were selling a battery and i made a video of me showing you the battery is resting at 12.8v, that doesn't mean much.

Put a load on the batt and it won't even be able to turn on your headlights if it's damaged bad enough.

It's best to do these tests in person and if the seller refuses, then obviously they are trying to scam you.

Yea the dude seems like they only wana sell it don't even wana make sure it works

people like that make me wonder if it's stolen....

Agreed. We are going to check voltage and put a load tester to it. If he won't let us then we won't buy it.

Hey angel advance auto does load tests for free just fyi

Or put in your car as your starting battery and see if it starts your car no problem.

I've had a Redtop I could charge to rest at 12.8 for days and days with nothing on it, and once I tried to start my car, it wouldn't even turn the motor over.

So that's a prime example resting voltage doesn't always tell you how "good" a battery is.

I bought a used battery on here, and it's fine... as far as i can tell :D But he is a reputable seller, not some random dude on craigslist.

I wanted that d1200, bastard! :P

Bought the battery. Stable around 13-14v. 'twas a great deal!

I scored a d3400 for 50 bucks works fine

Lol good deal. I now have two kinetik 2000s one kinetik 1800 and one xs 3100. Too many batteries, I think not lol.

You can never have too much power.

Lol yeah. Hey what do you guys think of running a ssa dcon at 4 ohms on a saz 1500. Would it sound better than a rf t500.1 at 1 ohm. Rf would push 500 rms SAZ would push 400 rms. Ported box 1.25 cubic ft 30hz

It probably wouldn't make to much of a difference, but if you don't have either, that rockford would put out more than 500 watts for sure! Although it is nice to have the headroom from the sundown..

I have both amps. Well the rf is hooked up in my gf's car but the sundown I have in my truck. I'm putting the dcon in my maxima and selling the truck