tips for building a wall

Maybe a sore subject with you, but I always enjoy M5's posts. If you really read his posts he always posts responces that make you think but only if you don't get your panties in a wad because he did not just come out and give the answer. I do my best to read his responces to different threads to promote my thinking. There are always many varibles that can help/hinder an install. One thing that he posted was using a common chamber. Why would he say that in your case?? When I read that my thought went to the idea that building 2 enclosures in your vehicle that are of equal size might be difficult, hence using a common chamber. (thought process in motion). Most of the time thinking can put you ahead of the next guy. Exactly why I feel M5 promotes responces to make members think. Good luck with your build!!

Hope I didn't "F" that up....

Tip for building wall. Buy lots of wood.

Please do some research before asking questions. This forum is not like SMD. I have learned a lot from this website, especially from ///M5, acting like you are towards him is disrespectful.

Did he just make Team Skar? :woot:

Haha hell naw :roflmao:

You tried so hard, I'd feel bad if I didn't throw you some bone. Way to man up :)

Of course, the critical questions you left out and took offense to. Considering all we have is your subjective idea of something and a lofty and strange goal of a number its hard to go on.

Why 150dB, what kind of music, is it doctored, how much of a frequency range do you need, why do you think you need a wall versus an enclosure, yadadadadada. I don't quite follow your wants or why and YES they will determine really what you need. :)

You tried so hard, I'd feel bad if I didn't throw you some bone. Way to man up :)

Of course, the critical questions you left out and took offense to. Considering all we have is your subjective idea of something and a lofty and strange goal of a number its hard to go on.

Why 150dB, what kind of music, is it doctored, how much of a frequency range do you need, why do you think you need a wall versus an enclosure, yadadadadada. I don't quite follow your wants or why and YES they will determine really what you need. :)

lol. well i know 150db is good number to shoot for...i would like to score higher but 150 would make me happy. i listen to rap mostly... young jeezy. gucci mane. gorilla zoe. all low hitting bass. what do you mean by doctored ?? freq range ?? i want to hits the lows good so i was thinking between 28-30hz... i dont think i need a wall really... im thinking about building 2 boxes like the ones i have now... just bigger and bigger ports... but im not good with the design programs as ive never used one before :(

lol. well i know 150db is good number to shoot for...i would like to score higher but 150 would make me happy. i listen to rap mostly... young jeezy. gucci mane. gorilla zoe. all low hitting bass. what do you mean by doctored ?? freq range ?? i want to hits the lows good so i was thinking between 28-30hz... i dont think i need a wall really... im thinking about building 2 boxes like the ones i have now... just bigger and bigger ports... but im not good with the design programs as ive never used one before :(

Why 150dB? And over what frequency range?

*never heard Young Geezy, Gucci Mane, Gorilla Zoe and so on. Don't care to. Either way the step for you remains the same. If you are sure what range the bass notes play and for what you truly need 150 on then your goal is not yet defined.

Why 150dB? And over what frequency range?

*never heard Young Geezy, Gucci Mane, Gorilla Zoe and so on. Don't care to. Either way the step for you remains the same. If you are sure what range the bass notes play and for what you truly need 150 on then your goal is not yet defined.

M5, gucci, gorilla zoe, jeezy basically all float around mid 30s in their songs, some drop low for a little, but mainly mid 30s.(in all their music i would say total bandwidth of main basslines is 28hz rarely up to 47hz, a lot of constants and a lot of 3 bassline wonders.(44hz to 35hz to 44hz to 28hz back to 35hz and so on)).

Maybe a sore subject with you, but I always enjoy M5's posts. If you really read his posts he always posts responces that make you think but only if you don't get your panties in a wad because he did not just come out and give the answer. I do my best to read his responces to different threads to promote my thinking. There are always many varibles that can help/hinder an install. One thing that he posted was using a common chamber. Why would he say that in your case?? When I read that my thought went to the idea that building 2 enclosures in your vehicle that are of equal size might be difficult, hence using a common chamber. (thought process in motion). Most of the time thinking can put you ahead of the next guy. Exactly why I feel M5 promotes responces to make members think. Good luck with your build!!

Hope I didn't "F" that up....

I will second everything the Great Sefugi has just said here. ///M5 has helped me many times. And I absolutely love reading his comments/conversations. If he hadn't posted so many times. I honestly may not have read this thread full through.

OP,

You want to be able to play ~30hz - ~45hz very loudly (spectrum most rap music is), thus you said breaking the 150db mark. Correct?

The advantage to a wall is that it decreases the cabin volume. Less cabin volume, easier to pressurize (more output). This is assuming that the wall is sealed off from the rear of the cabin. Obviously your driving visibility gets thrown out the window.

Another thing that may be considered, perhaps not (not entirely sure on this one), is the wavelengths of certain frequencies you want to play. I believe the lower the frequency, the longer wavelength.

The more cabin volume, more room for the frequency (more so with lower frequencies) to propagate (more cabin gain).

Not 100% sure on this, perhaps someone more knowledge will clarify.

Not enough cone area to hit 150 across that whole range. Going to have to narrow it down. Also going to require a box that is designed to peak pretty hard at the expense of the rest of the range. Better make sure you are willing to make that compromise.

Just wall off.... and tune low... Fck the numbers man.. That shit will be intense regardless.!!!

Just wall off.... and tune low... Fck the numbers man.. That shit will be intense regardless.!!!

That's sound advice.

Although I agree with not chasing numbers unless competing, I would rather actually design a setup that works well for my needs instead of just throwing it all together in a wall, and tuning low.

Sure the latter option can get loud, but why not put some effort into a design and get it even louder.

I wanted to cut my rear deck at one point but then I said, shit I won't own this car forever .. Maybe next car I will mod the fck out of it... I'm just gonna stay sealed and power high... My Xcon is fcking loud, I don't know the numbers and probably never will... That's not for me.. :ughdunno:

if you don't know the numbers and don't compete, then never use that as a reference for OTHERS to gauge your knowledge as it's for you.

However.. if you ever get that feeling that you want to dig deeper and learn how to get louder install-wise only, a meter is required...

I can tell you now though, if u have a wall, don't invest in a meter in terms of getting audibly louder as the main thing that will control that is tuning!

For street boxes, there are MANY things to do to enhance score because.... you can move them :)

A street box install can easily gain 3db with many mods that cost next to nothing...

For pure daily.. that is my reference.