little_yellow

fi bl 10 wiring issue

ok double checked the wiring on all 4 again. put it all back together. tried a cd. still getting this finny noise.

have pictures of the headunit and amp settings. the amp had to be mounted upside down so the skin is upside down. so there are the 2 pictures of the amp. and the wiring diagram that i used t wire it up

IMG-20111022-00065.jpg

IMG-20111022-00063.jpg

IMG-20111020-00062.jpg

IMG-20111020-00060.jpg

IMG-20111020-00059.jpg

IMG-20111020-00057.jpg

IMG-20111020-00056.jpg

IMG-20111020-00055.jpg

Edited by little_yellow

Turn 'Loudness' off right meow.

Do you have any other subwoofers laying around?

Hook them up to see if it makes the same noise

loudness off does the same thing. already tried that. and turned my source level to 0. im going to try different subs tomorrow. hook them up to my buddies 4 10's.

Put the source level adjuster to 0.

Put your loundess to off instead of high.

Your gain looks quite high, but i could be wrong.

Upload a video of the sound, first turn it up to 9 turn the camera to the woofers.

Then turn it up to where it sounds like horsecrap and video the woofers.

thats how it was set on the video. gain is under half. all the dials are at about the same spot.about 1/3 of the way up. its hard to hear but you can tell more near the end of the video where it starts to sound funny. im going to try a different set of subs hopefully today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pacUhsbpjlw

When they make the "funny" sound does the amp go into protect?

what are the dimensions of the port? it looks as if it has zero depth in the video.

port is about 20 inches long then goes down the side of the box about 15 inches. sounds great till it cuts out. sounded awesome with the w7 in there. the amp isnt going into protect and there isnt a voltage drop when it does this. they do move more then the video shows. i dont have a better camera.

Im really guessing it's your amp.

You are clipping. I had that exact sound before when i did some testing with 0dB test tones, and i could clearly hear the clip. It sounded identical to your sound. Next do the box to Fi specs, and find someone local who can help you set you gains corectly. And always stay away from "loud" settings too.

When you get that setup right those bl's are gonna hit. Good luck with this.

had them put in a box that was about the correct size. i turn my gains down and its super quiet. if i set it to the point where it doesnt make that sound they are quiet as hell. im going to test the setup at the same settings on my buddies 4 clarions tomorrow. and again on my old jl w7 that i sold in the afternoon. if everything sounds good on those 2 setups im going to go to a stereo shop and see what they have to say. the only reason i havent done that yet is because the closest one is a fair ways away minimum of a hour and a bit.

I bet the majority of the problem lays in the box, if the subs are moving -that- much they might be reaching their mechanical xmax?

i tired it in a recommended size box. the other box that i tried them in is 2.7 ft^3 with would be 1.35 per sub which is inside of the recommended box size. and it still did the same thing. it seems like they cant take any more power. there not moving enough to reach the limits of the coil. not at the amount of power there getting. im testing another set today. if both of those sound good im going to be pointing the finger at the subs.

i have tired 2 different wiring diagrams on the box. did the 9-v battery test. took the subs out and rewired the inside of the box. tested the subs on someone elses system. and tested them in a different box which has the correct volume specifications for the subs. now if i test mine on someone elses and it sounds good. then the only thing left is to drive all the way up to a stereo shop and get them to look at it.

Unless your shop is one of the few that would actually help you with something other than they sell, I'm going to bet that if they haven't heard of Fi, they are going to say the subs are the problem. Or, charge you $600 to build a box. Can you give us just a drawing of the max deminsions of the box you have now, so we can see exactly how big the box is and what it's tuned to. Not to say you did measure right, but it's always good to have someone else do the calculations.

If i've said it once..i've said it a million times.

Speakers are stupid, they simply do what you tell them to do in the environment that you place them in.

A speaker will not 'distort' unless it is fed distortion, if you've got your buddy there..jump wires from his amp in his car to the 2 10" subs (what is it tuned to?) in the other box and see what it sounds like...

It..just dawned on me.

You also only have 1 2500 on all 4 subs..that's going to be part of your problem because you are going to try to get the amp to do more then what it is meant to do. You're looking at maybe 600 watts a sub..IF that.

I'm going to guess that if he just hooked 1 of the subs up to the amp in the same box, that it's the box that's the problem. It honestly sounds like cancellation of the subs, but if they are wired correctly, the amp tested good, and the headunit tested good, that only leaves 1 thing: the box. The Bl's are great subs, but they need >900 watts to make them shine, and of course a box with the correct amount of volume and port area.

I'm going to guess that if he just hooked 1 of the subs up to the amp in the same box, that it's the box that's the problem. It honestly sounds like cancellation of the subs, but if they are wired correctly, the amp tested good, and the headunit tested good, that only leaves 1 thing: the box. The Bl's are great subs, but they need >900 watts to make them shine, and of course a box with the correct amount of volume and port area.

:WTFBubble::bull:

Not true, they can be much much louder then in the video on the same wattage.

To the topicstarter, how do you set your gains?

Do you use a oscope? or a DMM or a other device?

It really sounds as if you are clipping in the video, a clear case of clipping.

Get a picture of the amp settings, so we can truly know if it is clipping or not.

But still the box is too big for the BL's.

Edited by kirill007

Never said they wouldn't be loud on <900 watts. They can be loud on 500 watts, but give them 1000 watts and they will really be loud. Like giving a door speaker 5 watts when it's rated for 15. Yes it will sound fine on 5, but it's made for 15 watts.

Never said they wouldn't be loud on <900 watts. They can be loud on 500 watts, but give them 1000 watts and they will really be loud. Like giving a door speaker 5 watts when it's rated for 15. Yes it will sound fine on 5, but it's made for 15 watts.

You won't hear the difference between 500watts and 900-1000 watts. Same for the speaker, it will sound about as loud on 5 as on 15 watts, maybe a tiny bit louder but not really noticiable.

Umm...you're going to hear 3dB of difference..possibly more with double the amount of power (assuming he has around 500 watts a sub now)

ok so the box is to big. not the point. they go from sounding good to one more volume up and sounding bad. that doesnt sound like a box issue to me. im goiing to try to shorten it up at some time but not right now. if i cant get them to sound semi decent im not wasting my time making another box.

i posted pictures of my amp and the deck. the settings are there on the amp. take a look at those. all the settings are under half.

the amp is rated at 2607. thats what it tested from the factory. thats about 650 per sub. yeah not far off from what you said. i know its less then they are looking for for power but is that really going to play this big of a part in the way they sound? granted its not peak power but is that going to make them distort?

i havent set the amp gains using a scope or anything yet. when i got to a audio store im hoping that they can help me out with that. otherwise i was going to set it with a ddm.

IMG00087-20110822-0923.jpg

there is the way that my box is set up. i have changed dimensions a little when i started building it. port is opened a inch wider and the front face where the subs sit is 2 inches back from there also. thats all that i changed.

i also did try 2 subs in another box. dont know if everyone missed that. it still made the same noise when i did that. so thats why i dont think it has anything to do with the sub box that i built.

Another question that i don't think has been asked: What volume are you turning your headunit up to? IIRC the Pioneers go up to 62?