sundownz

4x SA-8s + CRX -- Part II

Car Audio Classifieds -- Part I of this project from April 2010.

Continued from last year... since we proved the prior box worked so well even made from super low grade plywood we finally got around to making one from genuine Russian 13-ply birch plywood.

Derrick was up for some testing yesterday and was able to stay up here to work on this box for me today -- on to the pictures :

CIMG5426.JPG

* Back wall cut -- have some weight on the port to hold the glue down for a bit as it will be permanently attached from the inside.

CIMG5427.JPG

* High strength 3M Epoxy glue to hold it in.

b]

* Derrick working on cutting out the rest of the pieces.

CIMG5430.JPG

* Front baffle completed with holes cut.

CIMG5431.JPG

* Rounded over internal braces (wave guide technology... LoL)

CIMG5432.JPG

* Cut-Outs rounded over on the inside

CIMG5433.JPG

* Glue is dried -- port is flushed into the inside wall of the box.

CIMG5435.JPG

* Epoxy bead around the outside of the port as well. Derrick had the idea to fill the whole area in with resin which I think I will do later on.

CIMG5436.JPG

* Box is coming together !

CIMG5437.JPG

* High tech glue bottle !

CIMG5438.JPG

* Box is really taking shape.

CIMG5439.JPG

* Braces inserted between the woofer holes.

CIMG5440.JPG

* Old box laying around still for reference.

CIMG5441.JPG

* Cheap pine wood -- 5 ply.

CIMG5442.JPG

* Nice birch wood -- 13 ply.

CIMG5443.JPG

CIMG5444.JPG

CIMG5445.JPG

* Port is locked in there for good by the side walls.

CIMG5446.JPG

* All outside edges rounded over.

CIMG5447.JPG

CIMG5448.JPG

* Compared to old box front.

CIMG5449.JPG

* Compared to old box rear -- old box just had the port screwed to the back.

----------

Should have some results later today or tomorrow !

Very sexy!

Did a quick power clamp (old box)

4240 clamped watts = 152.8 dB

1300 clamped watts = 148.7 dB

So far:

3790 watts @ 152.6 dB with new box.

At the moment it won't support more power (two small SP1000 12v batteries and stock alternator) -- I may drop my 16v batteries in tomorrow.

That looks awesome

Very nice!!

Great craftsmanship and the port flares look great!

Love the look of that box very simple but impressive looking at the same time.

Nice job!! But Jacob, dont make me come out of retirement and rip your azz up!! LOL!!! J/K, nice work dude!!

I'd love to see some crazy 8s numbers from you Ray :) Thanks!

Nice job!! But Jacob, dont make me come out of retirement and rip your azz up!! LOL!!! J/K, nice work dude!!

Seriously...after the holidays I can come down to your shop, for a weekend and build a crazy 8 set up.

CIMG5496.JPG

CIMG5497.JPG

Gonna see how the v.2s like this box :)

Sadly one hole is slightly too small so I won't get to play with it tonight... but probably at some point tomorrow I will get to do so. Have to get home for the night tonight!

:o very nice. Look forward to what happens with those V.2!

Seriously...after the holidays I can come down to your shop, for a weekend and build a crazy 8 set up.

hands down THE MAN when it comes to 8's getting stupid loud!!

My frequency dropped a few Hz with the v.2 models in there -- likely due to the softer suspension on them. These also have a good bit more displacement so the effective box is smaller. So I may need to re-design the box and/or port a bit to really optimize these guys :)

Good news is I'm within a few tenths at the same power at a lower frequency so I'm very pleased. What I am looking for is a better max score when more power is applied due to significantly more suspension travel.

Another plus of the v.2 design is that I can add a single extra spider for SPL if I like as the bottom spider has no leads so it can easily be stacked on -- this idea failed in the v.1 (made one for TommyK) as I had to add TWO extra spiders as they came in packs. I think one extra would be useful in some SPL apps :) More testing to come with time on that + a newly designed SPL coil for this motor.

Waiting to see the results! Those V.2's are menacing looking and make that box look tiny!

1545_SA8s.jpg

We've found in our testing so far that the v.2s don't do as well at 50+ Hz in their current prototype state so I dropped v.1s back in on a 4500D @ 0.5 and 16v

Here is what we got so far ! Legal, sealed, on the dash.

(I will be building some revised v.2s soon to get everything in check for production)

153.6 at the show in Macon over the weekend -- between my HU acting up and varying weather conditions I was down some. But still not bad !

We've been SO busy that I still don't have my SPL 8s in here... but today I made some time... took the 16v stuff out, put a big 12v in back, and dropped an NS-1 in there. No testing today... just a picture of the NS-1 :

CIMG5856.JPG

Once the v.2 subs arrives I will drop in four of the "SPL" versions with CCAW coils and then later I will also build four customized with an extra spider to compare as well to see what does best for this car. So... stay tuned for that.

I will get some NS-1 testing on the stock subs sometime soon, though.