jorscrivens

Second Skin vs Sound Deadener Showdown

Weird, someone clicked the minus at my post. Kind of weird since no one said i was wrong or anything like that.

But like i have said before, SS is a good product and the performance per dollar is great.

Just hit the plus to zero it out. I'm sure somebody did it by mistake.

i have never used SDS ... but my homeboy Steve mead swears by it.

i like my second skin, it works great, its easy to apply and it has not fallen or pealed,

and i have also gained DB's from just doing my trunk lid alone, with damp pro,

i also used damp pro in my doors, along with luxury liner pro, that helped me gain more mid bass, and also stop road noise,

the guys at second skin are easy to deal with now that they are under new ownership, and i have a local friend that has had amazing results with stopping his resonant sound from his Honda's loud muffler

Second Skin DAMP PRO fo sho. lol. I love mine! :sleepwerd4:

I would personally recommend SDS. Don is quite easily one of the most knowledgeable and helpful individuals in the sound deadening industry, and on top of that offers some of the best products in the industry. Those two reasons combined make him and his business the best place to spend your hard earned money, in my humble opinion. He'll be able to assist you in purchasing the products that best meet your goals instead of the products that make him the most profit.

x2. He'll help you give him less money lol.

From testing , if you do 50% coverage instead of 25% coverage, it will be at most 3db's better.

If you do 100% coverage instead of 25% coverage, it wil only help for at most 5db's.

But in a lot of cases 25% coverage is enough, if you want to have less sound get in the car you have to use soundbarriers.

The bolded statements: I haven't heard about/read this anywhere else in all the research I've been doing. Not saying it's wrong by any means, just a first time I've seen it.

Is there much truth in that/been proven/verified anywhere?

Thanks.

- Dave

Edited by Dave88LX

From testing , if you do 50% coverage instead of 25% coverage, it will be at most 3db's better.

If you do 100% coverage instead of 25% coverage, it wil only help for at most 5db's.

But in a lot of cases 25% coverage is enough, if you want to have less sound get in the car you have to use soundbarriers.

The bolded statements: I haven't heard about/read this anywhere else in all the research I've been doing. Not saying it's wrong by any means, just a first time I've seen it.

Is there much truth in that/been proven/verified anywhere?

Thanks.

- Dave

lol no. You can LOSE Db's with some vehicle's installments.

Yikes. Absolutely not based in any scientific facts whatsoever. In fact, the whole point of CLD is to reduce panel noise. Implying that it then changes the output of your subs while possible, it isn't a guarantee.

When I sealed my passenger side door up for burps, I actually ended up losing 2.x db's from sealing them 100%...

Anyone know how to get in touch with Don? I have emailed him and he hasnt responded. Does he have an account on here? Im trying to purchase some CLD tiles. Any advice would be appreciated.

When did you email him? I know during the time we were going back and forth and few of my emails got shot to his junk folder. Otherwise he was great about answering and im sure that hasnt changed. He is Rudeboy on here.

Anyone know how to get in touch with Don? I have emailed him and he hasnt responded. Does he have an account on here? Im trying to purchase some CLD tiles. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/user/2609-rudeboy/

Shoot him a PM, or try emailing him again.

Thanks guys, I would have replied sooner but I had some password issues on here. Got it all fixed! Also, he PM'd me himself so I appreciate the help guys!

I just wanted to shoot my opinion here since I just met Don the other day, to pick up his product. First off I just wanted to say...DO NOT BUY ANY OTHER SOUND DEADENING PRODUCT. PERIOD.

I am located about 20 minutes outside Baltimore, MD. I noticed Don was located in Manchester, MD (about 35 minute drive from my home) and asked if it's possible to come pick up the product instead of having it shipped. He said of course. He's already saved me tons of money, NOT having to pay for a shipping cost. Some companies may not allow that just so they can get some more money from shipping. On my way up there, my dumbass forgot to bring my measurements of the doors/trunk (the only things I'll be applying deadener too). When I get there, he comes out, introduces himself and he's already got a pen, paper and measuring tape in his hand. Bada-bing, he takes all the measurements and we go inside. He works inside a shop, out of one room (crazy).

Don provided OVER-THE-TOP customer service and made sure everything I wanted was taken care of before he threw in his opinions.

Now here's the kicker...and where shit literally came out of my pants.

After we have already discussed a time to meet via e-mail (this is before I go meet him in person to pick up the product) he e-mails me saying..."Erik, I keep cosmetically flawed materials around that I can give you for FREE"

This guy is so flippin confident in his work that HE GAVE ME HIS MATERIALS FOR FREE! Charged me 20$ for some vinyl cement and some Velcro but...FOR FLIPPIN FREE. He said he doesn't sell anything that is dented, nicked or even cut wrong (like ends of rolls for MLV)...I was literally speechless.

Now I'm not saying he'd give all of his cosmetically flawed materials away for free (so don't go spamming him for it!) but based off my experience, the experience he gave me, his knowledge, professionalism and just being an overall great guy, I will NEVER go to anyone else.

I hope this helps anyone trying to choose a deadener for their vehicle.

I just wanted to shoot my opinion here since I just met Don the other day, to pick up his product. First off I just wanted to say...DO NOT BUY ANY OTHER SOUND DEADENING PRODUCT. PERIOD.

I am located about 20 minutes outside Baltimore, MD. I noticed Don was located in Manchester, MD (about 35 minute drive from my home) and asked if it's possible to come pick up the product instead of having it shipped. He said of course. He's already saved me tons of money, NOT having to pay for a shipping cost. Some companies may not allow that just so they can get some more money from shipping. On my way up there, my dumbass forgot to bring my measurements of the doors/trunk (the only things I'll be applying deadener too). When I get there, he comes out, introduces himself and he's already got a pen, paper and measuring tape in his hand. Bada-bing, he takes all the measurements and we go inside. He works inside a shop, out of one room (crazy).

Don provided OVER-THE-TOP customer service and made sure everything I wanted was taken care of before he threw in his opinions.

Now here's the kicker...and where shit literally came out of my pants.

After we have already discussed a time to meet via e-mail (this is before I go meet him in person to pick up the product) he e-mails me saying..."Erik, I keep cosmetically flawed materials around that I can give you for FREE"

This guy is so flippin confident in his work that HE GAVE ME HIS MATERIALS FOR FREE! Charged me 20$ for some vinyl cement and some Velcro but...FOR FLIPPIN FREE. He said he doesn't sell anything that is dented, nicked or even cut wrong (like ends of rolls for MLV)...I was literally speechless.

Now I'm not saying he'd give all of his cosmetically flawed materials away for free (so don't go spamming him for it!) but based off my experience, the experience he gave me, his knowledge, professionalism and just being an overall great guy, I will NEVER go to anyone else.

I hope this helps anyone trying to choose a deadener for their vehicle.

:)