Dylan Matlow

Omega Midbass (22mm of xmax)

This is the Omega, the most excessive 6.5" midbass/wideband driver we could manage for the target price for now. I stress this is an exceptional driver even for dedicated midrange use and not just a brute of a midbass driver! It does very nicely down to 70hz IB in car and 45hz in a ported floor standing speaker at home. It could also be used effectively as a wideband driver with a supertweeter.

It comes in 2, 4, and 8 ohm versions. The 8 ohm version has an aluminum phase plug.

th_Prototype_034.jpg

Here are the t/s for the 2 ohm:

Qes = .537

Qms = 3

Qts = .455

Fs = 54.33 hz

Vas = 45.88l

Xmax = 22mm

Re = 1.6 ohms

Le = .05mH

Sd = 140 cm^2

Bl = 2.3 Tm

93.4 dB/w/m

100.4 dB/2.83v

Here are the t/s for the 4 ohm:

Qes = .545

Qms = 3

Vas = 45.85l

Xmax=22mm

Fs = 54.33

Re = 3.2 ohms

Le = .03 mH VERY low due to underhung design and 1mm thick copper on the entire pole.

Bl = 3.23

Sd = 140 cm^2

93.34 dB/w/m

97.33 dB/2.83v

Here are the t/s for the 8 ohm:

Qes = .309

Qms = 3

Qts = .28

Fs = 47.87hz

Vas = 42.66l

Re = 6.4 ohms

Le = .06 mH

Bl = 6.46 Tm

Sd = 135 cm^2

93.83 dB/w/m

94.81 dB/2.83v

Thermal power handling is still untested however 125 watts is a very safe guess... I wouldn't be surprised to see 250 due to this former and high temp vc though.

Black paper cone

Hex aluminum former (patent pending) for better cooling and lower mms for any given rigidity/strength.

10 layer very high temp voice coil

The wire itself is rated for 250C sustained 300C peak, the adhesive used maintains full strength until 600C.

1mm thick copper sleeve on the entire pole

.5mm thick sleeve on the top plate ID

Both sleeves lower inductance and distortion to an extremely low level

3" OD N42 neo magnet

Underhung design with the most xmax of any 6.5" driver

OmegaBL.jpg

Xmag is 23mm

Xsus is 22mm where the surround comes to a screeching halt, makes some noise as a warning, and if you push it too far it would be the first thing to break. The surround has very little influence to the kms curve until about 20mm after which it quickly becomes the dominating restoring force.

The 5.75" diameter spider will give quite a nice looking kms curve, I suspect the best of any 6.5" or 8" in production at the moment.

It sounds *modeless* at least until 4 khz and still sounds quite good full range (good untill between 10-14khz). We will get full FR and distortion measurements in a week or 2 when we get the first production baskets in

Why all this stroke for a "midrange" driver? Hell, I don't know anyone who would need it even for midbass. Seems to be more well suited as a small sub driver.

What is the exact inductance?

Seems a little excessive for just a midrange, or is there something else in mind?

Why all this stroke for a "midrange" driver?  Hell, I don't know anyone who would need it even for midbass.  Seems to be more well suited as a small sub driver.

What is the exact inductance?

Seems a little excessive for just a midrange, or is there something else in mind?

it's not a midrange... in IB it's F3 point is around 80hz... sealed it's around 70hz... it can go down to 35hz ported...

with 125w you'd be seeing something like 114-115db out of this thing across the entire FR range...

Le: 0.03mh on the Omega... which has a copper sleeve on the pole and a faraday on the top plate ID

Dylan described it as a midrange without thinking what that means to people now adays... it's a midwoofer/fullrange/midbass/midrange/tweeter/super tweeter

As far as top end... the omega would get into the 12-15khz range rather easily

the main quality is unlike any "high excursion" speaker around right now this thing ACTUALLY has a flat BL... for 18mm one way... more "linear" excursion by around 4 times than any other 6.5"

it would provide very very lovely SQ out into the 18mm one way range... meaning you can drive this thing IB (look how STABLE it is there vs. the Extremis) without worrying about overexcursion with fantastic SQ to around 6-8 times the level of any other 6.5" speaker....

A single one of these per watt would outperform 4 extremises out until around the 125w input range...

This mid also will give you more output per watt than the extremis from 15hz on up IB so you get more midbass than the 70hz f3 leads you to believe. You can always use an EQ to get a lower f3.

93db/w, 22mm one way, 125w RMS, extension to 12khz, extreme low end and optimized for either ported or sealed? it's beeeautiful

ported and sealed it would outperform any driver on the market I know about... QTS of .5 and 93db/w is good enough... but 125w RMS with low end sealed to an F3 around 70hz? that's just sinful

Edited by Matthew_Rich

ported and sealed it would outperform any driver on the market I know about... QTS of .5 and 93db/w is good enough... but 125w RMS with low end sealed to an F3 around 70hz? that's just sinful

If what you are saying is true, I am in for a pair; however, I can't assume just because you typed something here it is as stated...much more likely here than other places.

If what you are saying is true, I am in for a pair; however, I can't assume just because you typed something here it is as stated...much more likely here than other places.

the prototypes will be sent to testers next week... trust their words not mine ;)

but I assure you it's all true... otherwise I wouldn't send it off for testing :lol:

Edited by Matthew_Rich

Perfect, if they break down and you need relief I have access to a full arsenal of B&K gear, a large anechoic chamber, and a laser vibrometer. The time in the room wouldn't be free for me, but I can make it happen if necessary.

Perfect, if they break down and you need relief I have access to a full arsenal of B&K gear, a large anechoic chamber, and a laser vibrometer.  The time in the room wouldn't be free for me, but I can make it happen if necessary.

haha no that's fine but thanks for the offer nonetheless... few independent testers will have them before we send them off to OEM folks

Including Jim Griffin, Danny Richie, and probably Nugent Dang

:domoslay:

Edited by Matthew_Rich

and a laser vibrometer.

Now THAT will be very usefull actually here in a few months... Thanks for the offer we will keep it in mind for sure. Drop me a PM with how much time costs.

Pricing is a wee bit much for me. Even though i will have MUCH more power on tap that those will ever need.

I don't need the anechoic for the laser work...full scanning vibrometer too. If you want to quantify break-up modes it will do time domain as well.

Hello,

I am from Poth Audio, we've been working on a wideband midrange speaker for quite some time now, but just encountered this driver, and would be curious to test it. How can I get samples? We've tested samples from adire, maxspeakers, peerless, eminence, fostex and a variety of other manufacturers, but wish to do our due diligence, and if the driver says what you're claiming it's nearly perfect.....

Anyway, you can either email me through this site or use the form on my site (I won't list the URL here so as not to abuse your space, but google will bring it up right quick)

Thanks!

Jeff

Hello,

I am from Poth Audio, we've been working on a wideband midrange speaker for quite some time now, but just encountered this driver, and would be curious to test it.  How can I get samples?  We've tested samples from adire, maxspeakers, peerless, eminence, fostex and a variety of other manufacturers, but wish to do our due diligence, and if the driver says what you're claiming it's nearly perfect.....

Anyway, you can either email me through this site or use the form on my site (I won't list the URL here so as not to abuse your space, but google will bring it up right quick)

Thanks!

Jeff

oh it will do everything listed here... and more as far as SQ that I don't get into talking about because it's subjective

I emailed you and you will have one to test in no time

I'm such the skeptic.

Love the inductance figure!

I'm still patiently awaiting the arrival of FR (on and off-axis, hopefully) graph, decay and distortion plots.

I'm still patiently awaiting the arrival of FR (on and off-axis, hopefully) graph, decay and distortion plots.

Sorry, it kind of slipped my mind to ask him about it when he was on earlier... I was too distracted by distributors and keeping everything rolling in the right direction for production...

Jim griffin wants to send the speaker to be tested by John from Zaphaudio after he's finished... I've already approved this...

www.zaphaudio.com will have independent FR's, distortions, decays within 2 weeks

our FR/Impedence plots will be up soon.... busy weekend outside of these speakers for me and the shop...

I will do by best to get them up before the end of tomorrow. Sorry for the delay guys

that would be nice because my current speaker locations are very off axis

with a 6.5" in a component set with a large slope around 3.5khz like our crossovers provide you really won't have problems off axis even 70 degrees... and the tweeter will take over the rest

I will get them to you quickly however

Jim griffin wants to send the speaker to be tested by John from Zaphaudio after he's finished... I've already approved this...

www.zaphaudio.com will have independent FR's, distortions, decays within 2 weeks

our FR/Impedence plots will be up soon.... busy weekend outside of these speakers for me and the shop...

I will do by best to get them up before the end of tomorrow.  Sorry for the delay guys

will these mids be okay independant w/o a tweeter?

I will do by best to get them up before the end of tomorrow.  Sorry for the delay guys

will these mids be okay independant w/o a tweeter?

this is how I've listened to them for the most amount of time... they sound as good on the top end up high (maybe a bit cleaner) than my PHL 1120's

the FR after 10khz just isn't going to be very pleasing, however overall they will get you into the 14khz range...

the midrange, of course, is incredibly clean .... make sure you're on axis if you run these full range... I generally am within 10 degrees on axis for full range listening

I will do by best to get them up before the end of tomorrow.

Maybe I don't know anything but isn't the fs really high. Shouldn't the fs be lower than what you anticipate playing with the driver? Since the fs is so high do these start to lose control below fs, maybe the .5ish qts helps this out.

good luck sealing a door well enough for all that stroke, better get glassin instead.

thanks

b

you would only want to seal panel itself... it's the same for any high excursion driver... if 22 mm is scary the delta does exist to fill the area between .... 2.6" deep with 11mm one way should be easy to manage in any car on the planet and you can get extremely high output

you wouldn't want to throw anything below 60hz at this thing in a door situation. The higher QTS stablizes it's playback considerably however unless you port (and even if you do) I wouldn't go below 40hz for SQ reasons. Does that mean it won't go lower? no. But I would never want a 6.5" making up my sub duties in a home or a car. Low output + large excursion + low efficency means a tall amplifier order to fill for no real output and added distortion for my midrange.

at 93db/w however :runlaugh::runlaugh: 12w tubes per side :woot:

Edited by Matthew_Rich

Can't wait to see the Zaph results. He's usually spot on and a great reference IMO.

looking good. Deff a posibility for future upgrades. But new mids are at the bottom of my system improvements and probably wont happen in this truck...still, goodwork.