HawkEye

Can I Still Use This Battery?

Hey all.I just got this battery today and I opened the box and found this.Its cracked right by the negitive terminal!!!

2012-02-18_09-31-30_840.jpg

So my question is can I still use it?Its soposed to me a deka 9a31.Help me please!!!

Edited by HawkEye

I would call the people you got it from and let them know about this ...

I should work, but MIGHT (not sure) give off fumes if you plan to have it inside the vehicle ...

I would call the people you got it from and let them know about this ...

I should work, but MIGHT (not sure) give off fumes if you plan to have it inside the vehicle ...

Well I plan on using it inside my car along with another one of the same thing.Can anyone give me any more input on if I should or shouldnt use it?

Is it a dry cell, gell cell ?? what type of battery is it ?? If it is a regular battery "Sealed", it will give off fumes that might kill you Sir ...

I say do not use it (if you plan to use in inside your vehicle) until you have contacted the manufacturer on the condition and the contents of that battery ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Is it a dry cell, gell cell ?? what type of battery is it ?? If it is a regular battery "Sealed", it will give off fumes that might kill you Sir ...

I say do not use it (if you plan to use in inside your vehicle) until you have contacted the manufacturer on the condition and the contents of that battery ...

its a AGM battery is all I know and its made by alliance parts, part number A06-30097-011 or AE8A31

Also I didnt buy from a company I got it from a guy on another forum.

Edited by HawkEye

so we are looking at the top of the battery? and there is no post? or did a little plastic cover just fall off? The only time when I wouldn't use a battery is if it was cracked!

that battery just looks like it is missing something to make it look pretty! and don't worry about fumes! no death ever!

so we are looking at the top of the battery? and there is no post? or did a little plastic cover just fall off? The only time when I wouldn't use a battery is if it was cracked!

that battery just looks like it is missing something to make it look pretty! and don't worry about fumes! no death ever!

That battery looks cracked ... and you are telling me that carbon monoxide is not poisonous ??

Yes that is a pic of the top of the battery and it is indeed cracked.The crack is right below the negitive terminal post.I took the nut of the terminal so I could get a better pic.

Also,thank you for the link Cablguy184.I emailed customer support about it.

Edited by HawkEye

That battery looks cracked ... and you are telling me that carbon monoxide is not poisonous ??

I can't see this crack all I see is a missing piece of rubber if it is cracked I would need to see a different picture of this crack and how far it goes.

yes carbon monoxide is not fun stuff

but why would he be using a non sealed battery in his car? He has not even called them or given us a model so for all I know this is a sealed battery

and humor is hard to express on the web, seriously look at what I posted "don't worry about funes! no death ever" I assumed it was common knowledge that CO was bad stuff but since I don't even know what kind a battery this is or nor if the battery is cracked or how bad all I know is it is an AGM battery the OP needs to do some more research and then go from there bottom line!

Yes that is a pic of the top of the battery and it is indeed cracked.The crack is right below the negitive terminal post.I took the nut of the terminal so I could get a better pic.

Also,thank you for the link Cablguy184.I emailed customer support about it.

umm with a little more info now the picture is a bit more clear, it almost looks like the terminal was pushed in a bit. I wouldn't e-mail them I would just give them a call an go from there.

good luck and let us know what you find out. also get intouch with the guy who sold it to you maybe there was should shipping damage and if this battery is done for get some shipping insurance for it. then again if it was shipped to you with the terminals in and the box was dropped or put not right side up the extra weight on that point of the terminal and crappy packaging could have led to damage!

at any rate if the battery is damaged and you didn't know about it before buying I would file a claim with paypal and see about getting your cash back! either or if it is done for you deserve your coin back!

Edited by CrazyKenKid

He gave us a part number here ... That and Google is all you need Sir ...

its a AGM battery is all I know and its made by alliance parts, part number A06-30097-011 or AE8A31

I posted everything i knew about the battery above. Also i just looked over the battery and it does say sealed lead acid battery on it.

so did you google this? and if so what did you learn about this battery? sealed or not ?

point being that is the OP job to do and let us know, isn't there rules on this forum called noob posting guild, and don't those say something like do research and then ask based on what you find?

Edited by CrazyKenKid

so did you google this? and if so what did you learn about this battery? sealed or not ?

point being that is the OP job to do and let us know, isn't there rules on this forum called noob posting guild, and don't those say something like do research and then ask based on what you find?

All the info I have posted came strait off the battery labels I read.It says on the label sealed lead acid battery.Here is a picture of it.

2012-02-18_11-11-02_943.jpg

I've seen ppl use CA glue to seal cracks with no issue, would I do it? No lol

We now know its cracked, lead acid, and should not be used inside your vehicle Sir ...

But, the battery might still be operational, just not inside a vehicle ... Then again, might blow up under stress ...

My suggestion would be to contact the person you bought it from, let him know what is wrong with the battery, and go from there ...

Best of luck to you Sir ... Please let us know what happens ...

Thanks

Randal ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Just got an email back from support and they said I should not use it.

This really sucks.I bought 3 from the guy and I got 2 today and one is not usable.I have no clue where the 3rd one is either.GRRRRRRRRRRR

Teach me to buy used batteries lol

Lol are you seriously still asking this? I mean...I'm not trying to be an ass but you said yourself it says "Sealed Lead Acid Battery" and it has a crack in it.

Si...............why would you want lead acid fumes floating around in your car? Just on a common sense level. I know you already bought it and want to use it but seriously this is a really easy decision.

EDIT: Aww you ninja'd me. Well glad to see you care about your health haha.

Edited by An-i-no

You contact the seller OP? I think you should let him know you received a damaged battery.

You contact the seller OP? I think you should let him know you received a damaged battery.

Yes I contacted him as soon as I got it.I havent heard back from him yet though.

Just got a phone call from the guy who I bought the batteries from and he is sending another battery out tomorrow.Very cool guy.Thanks for all the help guys.

glad to hear the seller is a nice guy and is willing to hook you up!

Lead acid batteries give off hydrogen and oxygen gas when they are charging, not carbon monoxide.

Hydrogen gas can be explosive if the concentration is high enough.

Glad you're getting this taken care off.