jonbearsmt

making a sub encloser for my computer.

ok.. so my car is tuned pretty low, 29 htz or so .. i peak some where around 38,

the problem is .. while im at my computer, picking music that will sound good in my car is a crap shoot.. i have a powered 10'' sub now.. but its not tuned anywhere near as low as i need,

so i have a shit load of 8's laying around...

an old MTX 8 terminator single 4 .. 8 inch no name pretty stout single 4 and i have a pair of kicker comp 8's single 4s

so i was thinking can i build a ported box or a horn or something to go under my desk .. tuned low so i can pick music that will sound great in my car.

hope everything made sense

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Anyone that can help him I would appreciate it as well.

I'm going the same route but a little over board. I'm thinking a 12 inch gcon off a 500watt plate amp tuned to 28hz. Should be nasty.

You could look at plate amps on partsexpress. They can be mounted in or outside the box. Since my desktop speakers hook up to my 3.5mm port I'm using a male 3.5mm to 2 female 3.5mm plugs. My desktop speakers will plug into one female port. Then a 3.5mm to RCA from the second female plug to my plate amp.

Sorry if its confusing.

Edited by Fearz

Depends on the specs of the subs. You won't get near as much cabin gain in a house as your car. If you need to use what you have you need to be able to use software like WinISD to get a good FR for your house. If you want to step it up a bit more then you can use LIMP (part of ARTA) to measure T/S specs of the subs you have.

Or you could use a sealed enclosure for more even sound so you can tell better the output up sub freq ranges... But I use my headphones more than anything nowadays

I have my old 12" ssd in it's ported box hooked up to my surround sound seeing a whopping 25w hahahaha. If I had room, I'd put the 18" btl in there

I have some O Audio Bash 500 amps that I use. I have two for my HT setup, one for my computer, and one that I have no idea what to do with lol.

When building HT/computer style enclosures you have to design them a little differently and a lot of it will have to do with the room and loading itself.

well maybe you can send me one :D

well i have a huge desk that has 3 walls on every side of it.. so i can load off any of the walls..

it seems to be too difficult ... i have a powered 12 that i was thinking to use now.. i have it on my home theather but i have it turned down so far its barely in use.. its fin loud when it up. i may just use it.. i donno.

Not so sure on the giving part, but I could sell you the extra one lol...

Yea, modeling it up would be a bit difficult but I would suggest some testing and see what works.

oh didn't mean give.. i just said send... of course a money exchange would in be order.

2012-04-09125801.jpg

ninja.gif

Edited by aBrokeNinja91

http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html

Those are what I have here. Love them, they do rated or better and will run at 2 ohm with no issues.

Same one I'm getting. Throwing it on a GCON FTW

every time i see your name i think of the movie the sitter, when he enters the bar and jive talks .. fears no tears baby respect it dont neglect it

Just buy a home theater receiver if you're going to be running a good sub for your computer setup. I have a 5.1 Yamaha hooked up to my computer along with Yamaha floor standing towers as my fronts and a pair of Technics floor standing towers as my subs, both have 2 12" drivers each. The technics are actually powered by a seperate plate amp I took out of a different sub. They're only seeing about 125w but they get plenty loud.

I'm going to be purchasing a single DCON 12" soon for some more output and lower extension as they are obviously tuned to home theater specs and don't sound like I really want them to. It'll be in a single ported box tuned to 33hz.

Edited by hatrix

I make all my music with my earbuds. They pick up all the lows!!

There's a little confusion in this thread. With absolutely NO cabin gain in a house you need to port lower than in a car. You are used to a 2nd order gain in the low frequencies in your cars. Add to that the need for reproducing sound effects and it isn't unusual to tune REALLY low at home. The box that I've not gotten around to building for my living room which is connected to a PC I am tuning to 12Hz. It won't have any huge peak like a box tuned higher, but that defeats the purpose and it will extend low even without cabin gain.

And Jon, tuning that low + wanting output means MORE cone area than an 8. I'd either tune low or go sealed for what you want.

i have a AA atlas 15 i can recone...

In all honesty, just a suggestion, I use some old zune earbuds that sample music great from my pc, example: gucci "I cook" sounds pretty much dead on with the lows on em and in the car, Im amazed at how such a tiny speaker in my ear can reproduce music.

Edited by Optimus_Prime

In all honesty, just a suggestion, I use some old zune earbuds that sample music great from my pc, example: gucci "I cook" sounds pretty much dead on with the lows on em and in the car, Im amazed at how such a tiny speaker in my ear can reproduce music.

i hear that i had some ear candy head phones and they sounded great... but i had cranium accessories ... they bug the shit out of me.... head phone. sun glasses necklaces hats... all that shit

If I ever stop being lazy and build it, I'll have an Avalanche 18" in 21 cu ft tuned to 15hz. If only you could fit that under your desk.

I say put the Kicker in a ported enclosure tuned 28-32 hz and let it rip. Dont think much music gets down below 25hz. Unless you slow down a slowed song already...

I had a 6 1/2 inch sub in an enclosure tuned at 30hz and it got plenty low, unloaded it towards a wall and played better with frequencies.