Miles

Got a Fi BL 12 for FREE!

As stated i just got back my 2007 Fi Bl 12 from the kid i sold it to a couple of years ago. He said it was blown so i went and picked it up. Come to find out one of the tensile leads was broken at the connector and the coils both read perfect. Coil still looks great and suspension is still pretty stiff. My questions are:

1.) Can i lengthen the tensile lead with shielded 12 gauge speaker wire?

2.)What How much would a complete recone run (psi or fi)?

3.) Once i fix it how much could i sell it for?

FI should have recone price on their site. I wouldn't use wire to lengthen it, but maybe that's just me. As for how much can you sell it for? Depends on who buys it and how bad they want it. I'd personally recone it. Fi takes a couple weeks to recone. Psi is fairly quick and a little cheaper.

Ok. Never dealt with psi but they look like great products. And i was just going lengthen it to play it a while before a recone, not permanent. Haha.

Psi from what I've heard at comps, half the guys here are running psi recones woofers.

I think you would be better off getting exact replacment parts rather than something close.

PSi parts are garbage. Do not deal with them.

Get Fi parts, they are multitudes better.

Stick to Fi recones, whether you have them do it, or you do it.

Don't waste your money with PSI.

cheap recones are easy to pay for when you blow them often. I buy Fi parts.

I see no reason to buy the recone from a different place. That would be like owning a Ford and going to a Lexus dealership to replace your blown engine.

Fi offers recones. Why in the hell would you even consider not having it reconed with original parts from Fi?

Ok. Thanks for the replys guys. I considered psi because ive heard their are a reputable company and provide a good product. I know this is a pro Fi/SSA/IA forum, but i just wanted unbiased opinions from people with experience of both products. I will probably be going with a factory recone.

And i know its not "proper", but being honest, would it be OK for me to solder in an extension of the lead. It wont noticeably change resistence and with the sub seeing about 1000the watts, 12 gauge wire should be able to handle it.

wouldn't bother with the leads really. You can "fix it" how ever you want and make it work though.

As for a recone. If you are just going sell it then I would say get what ever you can for the best price. If you are going to use it then I would suggest getting a 100% custom recone for what you want. Fi has some decent products, but if you go custom it will be tailored to you not a "catch all" configuration.

That is an unbiased and true opinion.

Edited by pro-rabbit

It's not about being pro (or against) a brand, it's more like being pro doing things right.

If it were me, I'd try to extend the lead.

Thank you pro-rabbit. Thats a good response. I should have mentioned earlier that a lengthening was only going to hold me over until a recone. I love all of the options psi has. I have yet to get a quote back from them yet, but i know its $120 from fi. Im glad someone chimmed in that has experience on both sides.

Thank you pro-rabbit. Thats a good response. I should have mentioned earlier that a lengthening was only going to hold me over until a recone. I love all of the options psi has. I have yet to get a quote back from them yet, but i know its $120 from fi. Im glad someone chimmed in that has experience on both sides.

It sounds like your sold on psi before even making this post asking for opinions? I wouldn't extend the leads myself, not a fan of band-aids, I would just wait for the recone.

pics of where its broken?

There are a few options out there other then just PSI. Several forum members on various forums offer custom recones. I'm not saying PSI is a bad company or that you shouldn't go with them. I'm just saying that looking at all of your options before making a choice is the best way to go. It will allow you to make the best choice per what you want and with in the budget you are looking to stay in.

I see no reason to buy the recone from a different place. That would be like owning a Ford and going to a Lexus dealership to replace your blown engine.

that would not be that stupid ... lexus > ford in my book

that would not be that stupid ... lexus > ford in my book

If you think a Lexus shop can rebuild a Ford engine better than a Ford shop can...then yeah, good luck with that.

His point was that the people who designed and builds the woofers on a regular basis will probably have a better grip on what parts it needs and what would make it perform the best. That's why you would want Fi to do it. They know more about the BL than anybody else.