Angelboy863

Help with preventing voltage drops?

Hello everyone.

There have been numerous times where my voltage drops to 11.7. I usually have a constant 12.8, or 12.9 (never 13 :o)

On idle with music a little bit up (volume knob at around 20 out of 30) and/or other electronics in car I'm around 12.5 but when I'm at idle and my music is up it can get to 11.7-11.8

I have a 96 civic. Stock alt is 70amps. I have a kinetik 800 under hood and big three done with 1/0 kicker wires. Those are currently the only electrical upgrades I have.

I have a temporary system in while I'm saving up for some good stuff. Just a 12" Sony xplod on a 250w monoblock xplod amp. My voltage drops from this? Gain is 1/4 up I'm not een stressin the amp. Could this be a sign that my alternator is getting weak?

What would you guys recommend I do. A HO alternator isn't an option at the moment. .

Is upgrading big 3 to 4/0 going to do anything or would I be wasting my time without upgrading my alt. More batteries? Plan to run an almost 1000wrms system soon. I do plan on getting another battery in the back again, like a kinetik 1800.

don't upgrade wire... that's pointless...

You need better battery support for later.. But I think maybe a slightly upgraded alternator would help alot for you..

Your alternator is on its way out if you never see above 13v. It takes more voltage than that to maintain and charge an agm which you have.

Your alternator is on its way out if you never see above 13v. It takes more voltage than that to maintain and charge an agm which you have.

Alternator and or voltage regulator, not sure if that car has it built in with the alt.

Additional batteries will increase your "power reserve", but if your alternator can't properly charge a single battery then don't expect it to be able to charge multiple.

I would get the alternator / regulator issue fixed, then go from there. A new working stock alternator is better then an old failing one. smile.png

Otherwise, a few more batteries, bigger amp, and failing alternator = killing your batteries' lifespan, and eventually getting stock on the side of the road one day.

Edited by stefanhinote

Gain is 1/4 up I'm not een stressin the amp.

Doubt that.

Dangg, I guess I'll check out the alternators at autozone. I was around 13.4 - 13.7 when I had two batteries in the car but I sold the second one and since then voltage never was over 13. My gain is 1/4 up. Before it was 3/4 bit that was about a month ago. Since then I sold my second battery and eased up on the gain because voltage was so low.

Dont set your gain by how many batteries you have, learn how to protect your equipment and install it right before it causes problems.

Your gain matches the pre-out voltage of your source (i.e. head unit).

Just emailed excessive amperage to see if they can build me an alternator around 160amps. Hopefully the price won't hurt too much.

So my dad and i got a new "high output" alternator from ebay. its supposely 165amps but not sure yet (how to figure out actual amps?) wayy better than my stock alt. we got it for about $150 shipped. we installed it today and voltage is at a steady 13.6-13.7. pretty impressed so far but again we JUST installed it so i hope this lasts. not bad for $150 though. still only kinetik 800 under hood and big 3 so i c ant wait till second battery is in, hopefully it'll boost that voltage a little bit.

If its a Honda I think you can do a ELD bypass To charge in the 14v range.

if i had that car, i'd be gettin some facts first before buyin stuff and potentially wasting money where you do not have too.

Call a reputable alt company that knows imports. Mechman and DC Power both know these cars well.

Ask them what is the normal charge voltage for this car.

Tell them you are only ever seeing 13.7v all the time.. that's not normal but can be if it's setup that way from factory.

You need to know what's normal and what cancan't be done first.

I'm assuming the alt and new alt must be charging because if they weren't, you wouldn't be able to drive back and forth after just 30-60minutes without major electrical problems.