HawkEye

Quick Noob Question About Double Baffle/Flush Mount.

Hey all here is a noob question that I need answered.How do I double baffle where my subs are going to be?Like do I just glue 2 peices of MDF together or do I have to do something differenet besides glue?I know this is a major noob question but I am going to be attempting to build a box for my 4 10's and I want to double baffle and flush mount where my subs are going to be and wasn't 100% sure how to do it.Thanks in advance.

HawkEye

yes, just use a lot of wood glue and slap the 2 pieces together. Then either clamp/screw/nail or set something heavy on them to press them together while the glue dries.

What are you going to use to cut the holes? Depending on what you have it could be easier to cut them out first, then glue them together. Rather then gluing them together and cutting them out afterwards

yes, just use a lot of wood glue and slap the 2 pieces together. Then either clamp/screw/nail or set something heavy on them to press them together while the glue dries.

What are you going to use to cut the holes? Depending on what you have it could be easier to cut them out first, then glue them together. Rather then gluing them together and cutting them out afterwards

Ok cool thank you for the info.Also,I planned on cutting out the holes first then glue the peices together.

If you have a router then you will want to do it together which will be the most accurate way. Do the outside first then the hole

what i've done is put the pieces together dry, drill the pilot hole for the circle jig, then you can pull them apart and cut the holes seperately with it still being just as accurate

Edited by Tim Harmening

^ this.

Also you can cut the outside piece to the sub outer diameter and the inner piece to the sub inner diameter to flush mount.

Or if you want to flush mount with a double baffle on the sub mount as well you will need 3 pieces. 2 cut to the inner diameter and the outer cut to the outside diameter

DSCN1189.jpg

Basically you take two sheets (or more) of the material being used, line them up, add wood glue and weight or screws, let them cure before cutting the holes for your woofers.

DSCN1334.jpg

It isn't a box if it isn't flush mounted IMO.

It isn't a box if it isn't flush mounted IMO.

Flush mounting is definitely the way to go... My boxes were built for a purpose, and were constantly being torn down and fiddled with for SPL purposes, I wasn't as worried about flush mounting back then.

what i've done is put the pieces together dry, drill the pilot hole for the circle jig, then you can pull them apart and cut the holes seperately with it still being just as accurate

You can do that. Just make sure you drill the pilot hole straight down. A slight angle after going through the first 3/4 can put you a 1/16th off very easily.

I just use a big upcut bit and go down 3/4 or whatever depth I choose to flush mount. Neither way is wrong. One thing that sucks is trying to remove a heavy sub if flush mounted tightly, need a little room to grab that monster