Budah93

40 hz too high?

i've been advised from people on this very site to go with 15's instead of 18s

By who? The only way I believe that is if you couldn't fit the 18's properly.

I don't remember names but they said don't do 18s even if i had the room because i'm almost go 18s instead of my sundowns but people told me to go with the sa15s. i was looking at some death rows

You either misunderstood or the person who told you that was wrong. And the death rows are an all around better sub than the sundowns in my opinion.

I would love to do an 18" if I had the space and money especially this one >>> LMS Ultra 5400 18" tongue.png

They said i would be more satisfied with the 15s due to the lack of range 18s generally have

They said i would be more satisfied with the 15s due to the lack of range 18s generally have

WRONG

so 18s really aren't that bad??

No

Some are great some are crap, and the enclosure makes a huge difference.... Just like any other sub.

Quite the contrary; assuming one has the necessary space, the largest diameter driver that can fit within a given space is generally the best choice. It provides the most peak output capabilities, generally provides better low frequency extension and with it's increased cone area provides the same output as a smaller diameter driver with less distortion.

Why would you want flex? If you like the way your current enclosure sounds, why are you changing it?

I think he means he wants to be loud enough that everything flexes...

OP if you wanna move some air tune a little lower to like 32-33. Dropping your tuning slightly won't suddenly make it any louder though. If you wanna move some air get some more 15's or step up to some obsidians 18's (which are on preorder right now for 170 each)

Being loud has no relation to flex? Flex is a tell-tale sign of the in absense of proper research and install. You do NOT want flex.

Also, to move some "air", you don't need larger drivers, nor does he need to shop for equipment based on price, which you are insinuating by your last statement. Doh.gif

OP, I would not recommend tuning so high, I would shoot for around 35 at the most, if your wanting to go that high, other wise, stick to recommended specs, which I believe are aroun 32hz. It can take many attempts to achieve what your looking for. First thing I would do, is maybe upgrade to larger drivers, not nessecasrly in size, and/or power, and go from there, you may not even need to build another enclosure.

good luck

I know flex is bad. I was trying to reword it in a way that would make more sense and probably give everyone a better understanding of what the OP wants.

And secondly, you don't NEED larger drivers to move air, but if he wants to go from 35hz down to 32-33hz that isn't going to make a big enough difference to suddenly turn his vehicle into a wind tunnel. When it comes to moving, there's no replacement for displacement. Larger cone area is the easiest way to get more air moving, and the obsidians/sa's are basically on the same level in terms of power handling, so it's not like the OP would be making a bad move to switch up to the 18's (he wouldn't need more power for them so to speak).

I don't want this to turn into a pissing match, but I hope I at least cleared a bit of that up.

Edited by Kangaroux

I didn't mean flex as in roof moving I just meant like tons of air moving i guess haha. and would building a box with subs sitting like this be bad

Sub here

sub here

I read it on this forum i promise you. I was told 18s had terrible range i had heard it from people i know as well. they said if you aren't doing spl don't get 18s which i'm not. I'll ultimately end up getting a different set of 15s probably just because i know i can fit them in the suv with the proper amount of space

alright well this is the only forum i used for car audio at the time i bought the subs and this is where i heard it. and these guys really weren't friends just people I meet doing deals or at spl comps. except for you guys i honestly have not heard good things about 18s except for a few select brands mostly just digital designs

I read it on this forum i promise you. I was told 18s had terrible range i had heard it from people i know as well. they said if you aren't doing spl don't get 18s which i'm not. I'll ultimately end up getting a different set of 15s probably just because i know i can fit them in the suv with the proper amount of space

If you read it on here then you misinterpreted it, terribly. If you read it somewhere else then you were misled. The whole pretext is amusing since range and SPL are the opposite. As for your friends, well they know pretty much nothing about audio as well then.

alright well this is the only forum i used for car audio at the time i bought the subs and this is where i heard it. and these guys really weren't friends just people I meet doing deals or at spl comps. except for you guys i honestly have not heard good things about 18s except for a few select brands mostly just digital designs

Well you sound like you have written off 18's, and don't want to listen.

i just said they weren't my friends haha and i was told do not get 18s if your intentions aren't for spl go 15s for a daily driver. you guys weren't there so you wouldn't know if it was said or not you're assuming it wasn't said when it was.

I never said i have written off 18s i would just have to find a design for a box that would fit. My max width is 36" so the subs would have to sit weird. I could probably only do 1 comfortably

the only reason anyone would tell you to go with 15s over 18s would be because the available volume you have is not adequately large enough to use 18s vs 15s.

Also, if the space were constricted but do-able.. then it would probably only work as a very peaky enclosure used in SPL but would offer nothing advantageous if running large cone area in small volume for music vs proper cone area in optimal volume.

i just said they weren't my friends haha and i was told do not get 18s if your intentions aren't for spl go 15s for a daily driver. you guys weren't there so you wouldn't know if it was said or not you're assuming it wasn't said when it was.

You said it was stated on here. That I doubt without retorts stating the person who said it was wrong. As for the "friends" who cares if they don't know shit and why quote them or believe them which it sounds like you do...

Start with some 6x9s and listen to these guys they are not lying to you.... READ READ READ

no offense but what makes you anymore knowledgable then any of the guys I talk to? Just saying. you are both just people i have met or talked to

no offense but what makes you anymore knowledgable then any of the guys I talk to? Just saying. you are both just people i have met or talked to

Are you serious?