Budah93

40 hz too high?

I have sa15s the box is gonna be around 7-7.5 cuft box. Would tuning it at 40hz be too high for a daily driver? I want it to be hella loud!

What kind of music do you listen to?

just about everything usually rap/hiphop

That is pretty high. This is where we tuned boxes 20 years ago and only had a few hundered watts to work with. We were also using tape decks alot and there was no real low bass...

You will be OK if you have a SSF that will go that high, it isn't going to sound the best either. I would shoot more around 30Hz, if it were me...

i'm at 35 hz now and i'm building a new one. is 30hz gonna only pick up lows?

Why don't you start by telling us how you feel about your current box instead of arbitrarily picking a number.

I love feeling bass in my chest. I wanna feel the bass and I want flex. I wanna be able to do hair tricks and stuff like that. I can do small hair tricks and i can feel the best i just want more haha

if u wanna do hairtricks then u need to be tuned in the lower 30s....33hz would be good.

Why would you want flex? If you like the way your current enclosure sounds, why are you changing it?

Why would you want flex? If you like the way your current enclosure sounds, why are you changing it?

I think he means he wants to be loud enough that everything flexes...

OP if you wanna move some air tune a little lower to like 32-33. Dropping your tuning slightly won't suddenly make it any louder though. If you wanna move some air get some more 15's or step up to some obsidians 18's (which are on preorder right now for 170 each)

I think he means he wants to be loud enough that everything flexes...

OP if you wanna move some air tune a little lower to like 32-33. Dropping your tuning slightly won't suddenly make it any louder though. If you wanna move some air get some more 15's or step up to some obsidians 18's (which are on preorder right now for 170 each)

Being loud has no relation to flex? Flex is a tell-tale sign of the in absense of proper research and install. You do NOT want flex.

Also, to move some "air", you don't need larger drivers, nor does he need to shop for equipment based on price, which you are insinuating by your last statement. :Doh:

OP, I would not recommend tuning so high, I would shoot for around 35 at the most, if your wanting to go that high, other wise, stick to recommended specs, which I believe are aroun 32hz. It can take many attempts to achieve what your looking for. First thing I would do, is maybe upgrade to larger drivers, not nessecasrly in size, and/or power, and go from there, you may not even need to build another enclosure.

good luck

i don't want 18s they sound like crap and sundown said do 35 hz but i'll trade 32 and see how i like it

I wish somebody would have told me 18's sound like crap. ;)

I have 18"s, and I'm tuned to 40hz.

I wish they sounded good and I could play into the upper 20Hz range...... oh wait....... They do and I can WTF......

I've heard from multiple people to stay away from 18s because they have terrible range. They get loud but the ones i've heard didn't sound that great. I also don't have the room for 18s

I've never heard high end 18s in person i was just going from what i've heard on this forum and others. If i were to get 18s what are some good ones that are in the 200-400 apiece range?

You just stated you didn't have room, then asked about getting some? I'm confused.

What you heard was wrong-plain and simple.

Poor installation can make any driver sound terrible.

You didn't hear that from anyone who has used 18"s in their proper enclosures designed and built properly, I can promise that much.

Here ya go, SSA ZCON 18". 1750 RMS, oodles or motor force. and sexy to boot.

http://store.soundso...-subwoofer.html

Edited by bassahaulic

You didn't hear that from anyone who has used 18"s in their proper enclosures designed and built properly, I can promise that much. Here ya go, SSA XCON 18". 1750 RMS, oodles or motor force. and sexy to boot. http://store.soundso...-subwoofer.html

Budah, I would suggest to just check out some more threads and do a little more research, so you can find some information through your own findings sir. It seems you could pick up a tad bit more knowledge :)

I've heard from multiple people to stay away from 18s because they have terrible range. They get loud but the ones i've heard didn't sound that great. I also don't have the room for 18s

fryingpan.gif

I know a good amount about audio and understand enclosure makes the system. i'm just saying i've been advised from people on this very site to go with 15's instead of 18s and i think with the proper box built i could run 18's the subs just couldn't be right next to each other they would have to be diagonal from each other...unless that's bad for them some how

also my amp has LPF and subsonic can i adjust those to pick up lows better? my lpf goes from 30-250 im at 250 and subsonic goes from 15-35 and i'm around 30

also my amp has LPF and subsonic can i adjust those to pick up lows better? my lpf goes from 30-250 im at 250 and subsonic goes from 15-35 and i'm around 30

250hz for the LPF is way too high for your subwoofers. Generally people cross around 80hz, but really that's sort-of an arbitrary number as everyone's install is different.

And generally for those that use a ported enclosure they set the SSF a few hertz below the tuning frequency of their enclosure. It also isn't uncommon to set the SSF a bit below the Fs rating of the driver.

If your SSF is set too low relative to your enclosure tuning then over-excursion can become an issue.

Edited by stefanhinote