ludachris5150

Gain setting "dilema" - Drop some knowledge on me

1st off let me say that a dd1 is not currently available anywhere around me at the moment. And I just got my system installd so I wont be able to afford a dd1 for a month or 2. Also no shops around me have a scope (dont ask me how they set their gains). So I have to temp DMM set it. Question is ive read alot of people saying to set it to the HU preouts which would be 2volts. Even on volume 29 the gain is pretty much all the way down at 2 volts. Or do I set it from the watts/ohms chart that ive seen around the web? Which would put me around 38-42volts? Which of the 2 should I go by? Also what setting do I set the DMM to, I know its Vac, But is it 200, 2000, ... ? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

1st off let me say that a dd1 is not currently available anywhere around me at the moment.

Great, you don't need it.

And I just got my system installd so I wont be able to afford a dd1 for a month or 2.

Great, then you haven't already wasted money on it. Don't.

Also no shops around me have a scope.

No problem, it wouldn't help you anyways.

So I have to temp DMM set it. Question is ive read alot of people saying to set it to the HU preouts which would be 2volts. Even on volume 29 the gain is pretty much all the way down at 2 volts.

What? You set the output of the amplifier to 2V? They were telling you to set the input sensitivity to the 2V setting....not that that info is necessarily "correct" anyways.

Or do I set it from the watts/ohms chart that ive seen around the web? Which would put me around 38-42volts?

You would set it based on Ohms Law, if you were using the DMM method....which isn't necessary. But even then if you are using a 0db test tone you will end up unhappy with the results, more than likely.

Best to just set it by ear.

Which of the 2 should I go by?

Neither, set it by ear.

If you absolutely feel you must use a DMM to set the gain, then you would set it according to Ohms Law... sqrt(Power*Impedance) = Voltage

But, see above.

Also what setting do I set the DMM to, I know its Vac, But is it 200, 2000, ... ?

200, or leave the DMM in the toolbox and set it by ear.

1st off let me say that a dd1 is not currently available anywhere around me at the moment.

And I just got my system installd so I wont be able to afford a dd1 for a month or 2.

So I have to temp DMM set it. Question is ive read alot of people saying to set it to the HU preouts which would be 2volts. Even on volume 29 the gain is pretty much all the way down at 2 volts.

What? You set the output of the amplifier to 2V? They were telling you to set the input sensitivity to the 2V setting....not that that info is necessarily "correct" anyways.

Or do I set it from the watts/ohms chart that ive seen around the web? Which would put me around 38-42volts?

You would set it based on Ohms Law, if you were using the DMM method....which isn't necessary. But even then if you are using a 0db test tone you will end up unhappy with the results, more than likely.

Neither, set it by ear.

If you absolutely feel you must use a DMM to set the gain, then you would set it according to Ohms Law... sqrt(Power*Impedance) = Voltage

But, see above.

Also what setting do I set the DMM to, I know its Vac, But is it 200, 2000, ... ?

All this plus setting it by EAR!

Neither, set it by ear.

But, see above.

All this plus setting it by EAR!

prob the best gain setting response I've ever heard haha, nice.

If the volume goes up to 62 like it does on my Pioneer then turn the volume up to 52. If not turn the volume up to 75%. Then put it on the hardest hitting song you have and slowly turn the gain knob up until you hear slight distortion then back it down till that is gone and there you go. This would even be better to do it with a test tone at say 45-50hz. If that seems too difficult just set the gain to 12 o'clock, with bass boost off and listen for any distortion. Just be smart and listen for any funny sounds, its not difficult to set the gain by ear.

Glad you haven't wasted any money on the uberuseless DD-1.

This may help:

Ear > O-scope > DMM > Poop > DD-1

I have always used my ears and eyes to set my amp. DD1 = a paper weight with LEDs, and if you need a paper weight there are still better options.

Well then ... Looks like we got the DD1 thingy contraption covered here ... LOL

Doesn't bother me in any way considering I run "0" amp gain in my ride.

But yes, I totally agree with setting your gains by ear.

Edited by Cablguy184