Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Girlfriend wanted to come to the gym with me. Since I never looked at anything for women's training, I asked the coach to help her. So first day was leg day and her goal is to build a bit of muscle and tone up.

Matt2, any tips or ideas on a training plan for her?

Make her do what you do. If it's too hard for her, have her do 15-20 reps not 6 reps. Her foot position for squats will change. Because hips. :-)

Her shoulders will be narrow so benching becomes harder. Some women find dumbbells better for benching. Maybe it's mental and the bar freaks them out.

Whatever you do, don't let her talk some old bull shit about how weights will make her huge. Unless she eats huge she won't get huge. And women's bones are at more risk, so weight training is much more important for their general health.

If she works out with you, yelling and grunting might turn her off.... Maybe it will turn her on though.

:-)

If she has a "problem area" she wants to target let me know and I can be more specific. If her target area is the tummy....... Start biking 16miles and lifting. Lol calorie deficit is the only way to help the tummy.crunches might make it bigger.

Girlfriend wanted to come to the gym with me. Since I never looked at anything for women's training, I asked the coach to help her. So first day was leg day and her goal is to build a bit of muscle and tone up.

Make her do what you do. If it's too hard for her, have her do 15-20 reps not 6 reps. Her foot position for squats will change. Because hips. :-)

Her shoulders will be narrow so benching becomes harder. Some women find dumbbells better for benching. Maybe it's mental and the bar freaks them out.

Whatever you do, don't let her talk some old bull shit about how weights will make her huge. Unless she eats huge she won't get huge. And women's bones are at more risk, so weight training is much more important for their general health.

If she works out with you, yelling and grunting might turn her off.... Maybe it will turn her on though.

If she has a "problem area" she wants to target let me know and I can be more specific. If her target area is the tummy....... Start biking 16miles and lifting. Lol calorie deficit is the only way to help the tummy.crunches might make it bigger.

Avoid crunches for another reason, your back is a joint, and as such has limits till it begins breaking down. Save that for more important shit. Simply put planks, mountain climbers, and flutter kicks are best.

J

Seth, do you have access to Mercedes schematics? I'm looking for the cylinder order for their OM642 3.0L V6 diesel engine. It's used in the Sprinter vans.

The dealership swapped out one of the glow plugs but I'm not sure if they did the right one...

Squats, lots of squats!

tumblr_mzywnzpr4Y1s5ed2ao1_1280.jpg

20140130_173431_zpswgwy6yex.jpg

project today.  Got the nexus 7 ready to install

woot.gif

In my stupidity I went to the friend with the CNC, we figured out the radius of the nexus, the angle and we cut based on the internet dimensions. 5mm off in the length. Sat till 1:30 AM to finish it, I was fucked the next day at work. 

Looks good, personally I would sand down the edges to give it a smooth transition to the screen. I like where you have the bass knobs too.

Yeah its not finishes. noticed the bump on the left side also. 

With my wife I really had to slowly work in the "manly" workouts to make her comfortable. Also, with my wife it looked liked she didn't even have to try but raising the weight 5 lbs would have been too much.

Also, do shit she wants to do as well even if it's not "the best" makes her feel good and as her workout IQ improves her choices will get better.

You can also work in more body weight workouts (dips, pull ups, planks, gymnastics holds) Holds insane good IMO for building your joints and with her lighter weight she'll probably be able to beat you in many areas, which makes her feel good and not inferior.

Sharp drywall screw on a screw gun that I have to use force to drive, or a flat smooth bolt I can just thread right in by hand . IDK which one I should pick?

T-nuts bother me when they fall off or when the sub cutout isn't much smaller that the mounting hole diameter. If you want to go deeper, how many times is a sub removed/installed? biggrin.png

With all that in mind, I've used T-nuts on the RLi enclosure laugh.png

Drywall screws work great for most install's but heavier subs I prefer a T-nut. It sucks either way if the cutout is to big or screw holes are off center. :P

Wishing I could be out washing the cars right now.

20"+ of snow and still falling. I had to steal the wife's Xterra to drive to work. The city is clearing snow with front loaders. 

Sharp drywall screw on a screw gun that I have to use force to drive, or a flat smooth bolt I can just thread right in by hand . IDK which one I should pick?

T-nuts bother me when they fall off or when the sub cutout isn't much smaller that the mounting hole diameter. If you want to go deeper, how many times is a sub removed/installed? biggrin.png

Drywall screws work great for most install's but heavier subs I prefer a T-nut. It sucks either way if the cutout is to big or screw holes are off center. tongue.png

my subs are 75lb and held up in a wall just fine with spax screws

It's all about reps, reps, reps. For muscle gain, women's physiologies respond better to 7-10 rep sets than the typical 3-5 for men. Throw in 20 rep sets and cardio for calorie burn. Repeat ad nauseum.

'Toned' is just a fancy word for muscular, as far as I'm concerned.

20 rep deadlift sets are quite effective

Drywall screws work great for most install's but heavier subs I prefer a T-nut. It sucks either way if the cutout is to big or screw holes are off center. tongue.png

my subs are 75lb and held up in a wall just fine with spax screws

I used them the last few installs as I wanted to use allen head bolts for aesthetics. I have allen head screws also so could of went that route. I usually use blue Loctite either way.

Use button head cap screws, looks nicer than regular SHCS I think.  

There were several body builders at my gym that were successful, I would be over there with chalk, bands and chain work and they would be doing slow massive reps with 135 on the bar. I never understood it really........

I guess different strokes for different folks.

It's for the pump. More blood, more nutrients. Etc.

Now a lot of powerlifters transition quickly to bodybuilding. Safer lifting is everywhere now, and frankly, the drugs are better, or rather the info on how to use them is better.

Haven't bodybuilders been successful transitioning into powerlifting? Ie: they built all the raw muscle then they transition to strength work.

I could be full of shit, I don't really follow either group much, but that's what I heard from someone I consider smart on the matter. biggrin.png

I am sure it has been done. But power lifting gets even less endorsements than bodybuilding, so it's less likely.

Also age. 10-20 reps starts looking nice at 30 if you spent your whole 20's chasing one rep max.

Back in the days of Zane, Ferrigno, & Schwarzenegger, most of the people showing up at powerlifting meets were bodybuilders, and vice versa. This was before the health & gym craze that started in the late 70's; back when action stars like Eastwood couldn't be seen publicly lifting weights because of the stigma that only homosexuals & other "weirdo"s hit the weights.

ninja.gif

Also, the powerlifting/weightlifting/bodybuilding community back then was tiny. Wasn't any reason not to do both.

Edited by Penguin4x4

new car. cruisin' for grannys if anyone want to come lol

photobucket-26839-1391200489299_zps27894

With my wife I really had to slowly work in the "manly" workouts to make her comfortable. Also, with my wife it looked liked she didn't even have to try but raising the weight 5 lbs would have been too much.

Also, do shit she wants to do as well even if it's not "the best" makes her feel good and as her workout IQ improves her choices will get better.

You can also work in more body weight workouts (dips, pull ups, planks, gymnastics holds) Holds insane good IMO for building your joints and with her lighter weight she'll probably be able to beat you in many areas, which makes her feel good and not inferior.

Really good tips. My wife is diesel as fuck though. Lifted as much as my roommate before I really got his workouts on track. Her pushing similar weight probably made him motivated too lol

It was similar in many ways to other "controversial" groups/hobbies/activities. Rock and roll music during the days of Jim Crow, heavy metal music during the 70's, gangsta rap in the late 80's/early 90's. Violent video games.