Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Hows that resume look?  

Should be polished up by now...  

That fucker probably got you sick.

There is a time to come in when sick, and a time when you shouldn't because you jeopardize your coworkers.

Your boss doesn't get it.

There is a time to come in when sick, and a time when you shouldn't because you jeopardize your coworkers.

That i7 box is a killer!

That i7 box is a killer!

Is it?

I didn't know if I had left BOINC on!? Good.

:)

2 weeks I am partaking in a global conference discussing pretty much exactly this, but in the mechanical (non-propulsion) portion of the response.  This year I am not presenting but will be at at least one if not two presentations next year.

http://gamcinc.com/gamc_new/conferences/body-congress/

Any idea when more stride in aerodynamics on bigger vehicles might be made? It seems like so much effort is focused on smaller cars than anything else.

J

It is shocking what they accomplish on big vehicles already.  Wind tunnel testing is a HUGE focus in particular on big vehicles since they are the ones that have the most ground to make up.

Willing to dig for any info you want.  I know the directors for most of the programs.

No real need, but thanks. Honestly my focus is all on propulsion, and what we need to expect over the next several years. Things like direct fuel injection, which is proving thus far to be a nightmare but it appears to be the future, and alternative fuels like CNG, as well as (obviously) hybrid and electric car designs. The classes were on advanced technology vehicles, and it was pretty cool. I was happy that the main focus was hybrids. As you know, I have laid all my bets on hybrid vehicles being the future. Apparently the general consensus is that I am right.

Clearly we are going to be on the lookout for more aerodynamic vehicles, lighter weight vehicles, etc. Structure will be extremely important.

The work I do on propulsion is only test.  The work on structure I help bring the CAE closer to reality.

Catalyzing reduces efficiency and sure the dipshit greenies aren't helping, but that isn't a current focus to improve so I don't see how that has all that much influence. Curious as to why you think so.

When I think emissions regulation I think about it hurting efficiency. You might be right that the focus is now having less unburned fuel, but I ALWAYS think of catalytic converter, restrictive EGR and DEF. Most of actually hurt MPG.

Efficiency eliminates the need for any of that.  Those are bandaids.

If cars were so efficient they had no unburned hydrocarbons coming out of the motor there would be no cat....

That i7 box is a killer!

Is it?

smile.png

trippy.gif trippy.gif trippy.gif trippy.gif trippy.gif trippy.gif

2 weeks I am partaking in a global conference discussing pretty much exactly this, but in the mechanical (non-propulsion) portion of the response.  This year I am not presenting but will be at at least one if not two presentations next year.

Any idea when more stride in aerodynamics on bigger vehicles might be made? It seems like so much effort is focused on smaller cars than anything else.

J

It is shocking what they accomplish on big vehicles already.  Wind tunnel testing is a HUGE focus in particular on big vehicles since they are the ones that have the most ground to make up.

That's why I am curious in that department. I would imagine there is still ample room for improvement, I just want to know when and how.

J

J

That's why I am curious in that department. I would imagine there is still ample room for improvement, I just want to know when and how.

J

there is VERY little room for improvement without changing size

Saw a show a few years back about a crazy car designer that improved the fuel efficiency of a Semi by 30% based strictly on improving the aerodynamics. That was without touching the drivetrain, strictly aerodynamics. Of course the thing looked like a space shuttle and probably wasn't street legals....

Catalyzing reduces efficiency and sure the dipshit greenies aren't helping, but that isn't a current focus to improve so I don't see how that has all that much influence. Curious as to why you think so.

When I think emissions regulation I think about it hurting efficiency. You might be right that the focus is now having less unburned fuel, but I ALWAYS think of catalytic converter, restrictive EGR and DEF. Most of actually hurt MPG.

Efficiency eliminates the need for any of that. Those are bandaids.

^-------that

That i7 box is a killer!
Is it?

smile.png

trippy.giftrippy.giftrippy.giftrippy.giftrippy.giftrippy.gif

Do we win all the points?

I haven't even overclocked it yet.

Lol

Efficiency eliminates the need for any of that.  Those are bandaids.

Exactly. For decades car manufacturers have been slapping components on to reduce emissions, rather than engineering the engines to be more efficient.

Complete, efficient, combustion produce only 2 compounds, H2O and CO2. Unfortunately we have hundred of other factors that reduce how efficiently combustion occurs, and this adds HC, CO, and NOX emissions to the mix.

Increasing efficiency also increases output... so we have a bonus here.

I need to go back through my books, but I'm pretty sure over 99% of fuel is burnt each cycle.

Yes, complete efficient combustion only produces 2 compounds, but there is also many other compounds in air. Nitrogen will always be present at 78% absorbing heat from combustion. The heat from combustion get's high enough to disassociate the compounds (i.e. N2 seperates into elemental Nitrogen) and then they quickly recombine creating NOx particles.

There is also wave propagation in a combustion engine. The flame starts at one location and propogates through the combustion chamber. It is extremely hard to control the beginning and end of combustion where a lot of the inefficiencies exist. Also, there is a boundary layer at the walls of the piston stealing heat from the equation. Not to mention heat does not create power; Thermal expansion creates the linear power that is converted to rotational power.

Ideal-stoichiometry.jpg

Looking at the image above you see that lean mixture results ins the best efficiency. Unfortunately lean conditions also result in the highest combustion temperatures (more fuel actually cools the combustion cylinder), the largest chance of dissociation and thus more chance of pollutants.

There is so much more that I'm missing, but it's just been too long. I can promise you there is a lot of work done to get most out of the combustion chamber with out after treatment. My professor worked on Low Temperature Combustion, where fuel is injected into a diesel engine 6 times per cycle to control the burn rate. it reduces efficiency and power but controls temperature in such a way that reduces NOx emissions.

My girl wanted a picture with her favorite uncle. What a kid and she is in the haunt.

http://s386.photobucket.com/albums/oo305/nealmunro/?action=view&current=IMAG0537.jpg

MK, you are missing the point completely.  Details of why it is hard don't matter.  With efficiency come less emission gases.  This is by definition.

The problem has always been the most cost effective solution doesn't yield good efficiency so we use it.  Since it burned like shit we added cats to clean up the mess.  Sure we get tree hugging dipshits in California that expect cleaner air in the tailpipe than the intake, but by default if we designed an engine that worked right in the first place that wouldn't be a concern.