Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Who wants to go into the distilling biz with me?

I want to make great booze for the rest of my life.

Me.

tWgV7Q6.jpg

Edited by Penguin4x4

ninja.gif

ninja.gif

Happy late turkey day Aaron!!

I just finished the Arturo Fuente stick. I enjoyed it with an old fashioned. I think I really need to try stogies with an old fashioned. I love the blend of bourbon, orange bitter hints, and a good cigar.

The flavor was extremely nice. It was mild, and tasted of a bit of pepper. Honestly, it is different from the smooth, complex Davidoffs I have really enjoyed thus far. The A. Fuente was not as complex or rich as the Davidoff, but it was really a great flavor for an every day smoke... but... I hated the draw.

it was really tight. I understand that a perfecto is supposed to start with a snug draw, then open up... but it was hard to keep lit until I got past the restrictive tip. I felt the draw was too tight through the entire stick. I also found out what it means for a cigar to unravel. I had always assumed that it meant the cut end started to shred. I tend to get that as I like to chew the stick, and I always Guillotine. I don't like plugging or wedge cutting as the tar build up in the small opening is a turn off to me. But this stick started to boat, and then just opened up. It didn't split like it was dry, the wrapper just unwrapped! It was not a huge deal, but with all I have been learning about cigars (and believe me, I have been reading a shit ton on the cigar), this is a hand wrapped piece of art, and this is not acceptable.

As I said, it is an artform. Yes, growth, aging and wrapping it, but also the process of smoking it. I have taken to looking the stick over. Look for a smooth wrapper that is consistent. Ensure there are no bulges, and you want to see a little oil being excreted so you know the humidity is right. Then you roll it in between your first 2 fingers and thumb, with modest pressure. You feel for hard spots or bulges. The wrapper should not crack or split (in this case, the wrapper made a cracking sound, and I did see a small split in the wrapper). The entire stick felt tighter than the Davidoffs. But I didn't know what it meant. Next, smell it. With the pressure the smell should open up. Interestingly the smell really does give you an idea of the flavor of the stick. Even as green as I am, I had a rough idea of the flavor profile by smelling it after adding pressure to it.Now you cut the end. There are 3 real cuts for a cigar, the guillotine (also a scissor cut), the wedge (a V shaped cut meant to expand the surface area of a smaller cigar) and the plug (a razor sharp hole is pushed into the end of the cigar, opening up just a small circular hole). For small sticks, the wedge works well, as it opens up more tobacco surface for a good draw. But for most sticks, this creates an odd surface area that builds up tar that gets in the mouth, souring the flavor of the cigar rather early. The plug does the same thing. There is so little opening that tar forms quickly. Plus, because of how the stick is wrapped, you limit your draw to the filler, not the flavorful binder and wrapper of the cigar. You limit the complexity of flavors by restricting the draw to the center of the stick. The guillotine is the preferred method. The crown of the stick (where it starts to reduce in size) gets cut at a slight angle. You should see that slight roll. This allows you to drag off the entire width of the cigar, providing a great flavor. Also, since the cigar cut is so broad, you see considerably less unsavory tar build up in one location. Finally, light it. Use a non-sulfur match, or a cedar stick. Keep it away from the stick, as direct flame does alter flavor. roll the stogie in your hand, allowing the entire end to be lit evenly.

I am spending a ton of time researching the cigar, and I am growing to appreciate it more every day.

Keep in mind for every 10 pieces of 'advice' you may recieve, only 2 will be true for you. This is in part due to the unique complexity of your palate.The lighting of a cigar is accurate reguardless.

I am a Gurkha and Drew Estate guy. I also enjoy a punched cigar. While you do get more of the filler flavor, they used excelent fillers. The guillitine cut is a close second. The cut I choose usually depends mainly on what is available, and size of the stick. Also, most of my cigar parings have been with steak or chicken and often with near beer, soda, or water (no booze 'allowed' in combat zones). When home my usual pairing is with whiskey or Canadian beer.

Much like food, drinks, and music, you will not know what is a good fit for you without trying.

J

Me.

We need to figure that out!

I spent a while reading what it takes to get into distilling.....

Not simple, but a small investment could turn into a ton of $$$ in 4 years.

Me.

I could be into the idea.

J

Hmmm what would this pinot noir finished pair well with??

I was shocked they had 3 bottles left......23093 of 36334

Preseason sled rip today. Ditches were fun. I like the new beast a lot

I'm envious. I would seriously sit back and enjoy 4oz with 2 cubes in a nice small snifter. I might enjoy it with a mild stogie, so the stick doesn't overpower the drink.

I would have grabbed all 3 bottles.

Preseason sled rip today. Ditches were fun. I like the new beast a lot

Super jelly!

I would have grabbed all 3 bottles.

I'd be willing to ship if anyone wants a bottle.

I'm envious. I would seriously sit back and enjoy 4oz with 2 cubes in a nice small snifter. I might enjoy it with a mild stogie, so the stick doesn't overpower the drink.

No stogie for the first try for me. I want to enjoy the taste first round.

J

My rental car is a '13 Civic with 46K miles.  What a piece of shit.

So I bought some Gcons from Neal for a trio of 12s my buddy wanted.  He changed his mind shortly after.  He got online last night and saw the Fi sale and had me buy 4 of the 90dolla10s, and guess what he tells me this morning. . .

He doesn't have the money?

J

6ccefdd3491b73102f973be94e765e42.jpg

We'll see how it does shortly.

J

I have thought about trying to make my own whiskey... but I don't have the patience to sit around and wait for 8 or 9 years to try it.

You don't need 8 or 9 years for a small batch. A 5 L barrel ages whiskey much faster than a 55 gal barrel due to the surface area to whiskey ratio.

Me.

I could be into the idea.

J

Garrison Brothers started in Texas and they were 5 million in the hole after 4 years and started turning a profit on the 5th. I bet they are doing really well now though. They make some delicious and unique whiskey