Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Happy thanksgiving all !!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Smells like roasted beast in here.  Mmmm.

J, and other cigar smokers...

I snagged up a Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema (6.5X50, in what I guess is a presidente roll), and really enjoyed it. So I have tried a few other Davidoff Nicaraguas, the Toro (54X5.5) and Robusto (5X50) both in a parejo roll.

I loved the Diadema, did not like the Toro, and felt the Robusto was OK, but there was something about it I did not like compared to the Diadema.

I understand that ring size affects the overall complexity of the cigar, and it alters how it needs to be smoked. A smaller ring means that you are burning more of the wrapper, compared to the filler and the wrapper is typically more flavorful. Also, a smaller ring requires a slower smoke with smaller puffs or the cigar will overheat which sours the smoke. Does the way it is rolled really affect it or was it a psychological thing? The Diadema and Robust should have the same overall profile, based on the ring size, but it didn't seem as nice to me.

Next, Ashtons... They may be next on my list. I just ordered a humidor and know about prepping it, so my cigar purchases will be ordered mid next week. I think I may want to try the Ashton ESG. It looks like the 22 year salute is a torpedo wrap, so would I be correct in assuming that the delivery should be the same as the Presidente wrap of the Davidoff Diadema? If you have tried both, how do they compare?

Finally, what other cigars would you recommend based on my love of the Davidoff Diadema? I have had a real Cuban Montecristo a few years ago (actually bought a few) and really enjoyed it on the initial light up, but over time it started tasting like shit. Now I have found out that I was smoking it too fast, so perhaps I might really have enjoyed it more if I was smoking it correctly. I would like to keep the stogies around $30 or less apiece.

Stoked... celebrating with some Double Oaked Single Barrel... and 2 cubes. Sorry, no old fashioneds with this small batch seasonal beverage,

I went to the liquor stores here, no dice on the Woodford Pinot finished sad.png

If you didn't get them day one, you won't get one. I missed them, but a buddy did snag a bottle. I got to taste it, and it was fantastic. They only released 1400 bottles, unfortunately.

Already did the intake gasket, total pita.

Plugs need replaced, haven't got there yet. Coolant bleed was a pita, maybe it needs done again for done reason.

I snagged up a Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema (6.5X50, in what I guess is a presidente roll), and really enjoyed it. So I have tried a few other Davidoff Nicaraguas, the Toro (54X5.5) and Robusto (5X50) both in a parejo roll.

I loved the Diadema, did not like the Toro, and felt the Robusto was OK, but there was something about it I did not like compared to the Diadema.

I understand that ring size affects the overall complexity of the cigar, and it alters how it needs to be smoked. A smaller ring means that you are burning more of the wrapper, compared to the filler and the wrapper is typically more flavorful. Also, a smaller ring requires a slower smoke with smaller puffs or the cigar will overheat which sours the smoke. Does the way it is rolled really affect it or was it a psychological thing? The Diadema and Robust should have the same overall profile, based on the ring size, but it didn't seem as nice to me.

Next, Ashtons... They may be next on my list. I just ordered a humidor and know about prepping it, so my cigar purchases will be ordered mid next week. I think I may want to try the Ashton ESG. It looks like the 22 year salute is a torpedo wrap, so would I be correct in assuming that the delivery should be the same as the Presidente wrap of the Davidoff Diadema? If you have tried both, how do they compare?

Finally, what other cigars would you recommend based on my love of the Davidoff Diadema? I have had a real Cuban Montecristo a few years ago (actually bought a few) and really enjoyed it on the initial light up, but over time it started tasting like shit. Now I have found out that I was smoking it too fast, so perhaps I might really have enjoyed it more if I was smoking it correctly. I would like to keep the stogies around $30 or less apiece.

Seth- first off congrats on CTI!! That is a very big accomplishment, and I am certain you will be a huge success!!!

As for your cigar question, many things effect the flavor and over all smoke. The ring guage of the stick, to how the tobacco was grown (and where), how it was cured, how accurately the blend recipe was followed, how tightly it was rolled, and lastly how long the cigar was stored and the humidity in the humidor.

As a cigar ages some of the oils leak into the plastic wrap. Quite often this brings forth some more subtle flavors than you would notice if it is fresh. As for your Davidoff question, I am truly not a fan of their cigars as they have often fallen apart on me, had burn runs, and had extremly inconsistant flavor. I honestly put them in the swisher sweet, white owl, and dutch master group- suitable only for rolling other things. That being said, have you tried out the Liga Privada, Kentucky Fire Cured, or Natural lines from Drew Estate? I also am a fan of Gurkha, Don Peppin (especially My Father's Cigar), or Alec Bradley? All are some fine sticks, and come in easily under 30 a stick.

One of the best things you can do to compair how a cigar's construction changes flavor is to try a few of the same blend in different styles. DE's Scid line makes a wafe (small box press) blonde (smaller guage stick) and 1300cc (tubo) that all share a similar blend but very different construction. Same with the Java line. They have a thick box press as well as a rolled (50 guage I believe) and are terrific. The thing to keep in mind is that simple things such as the meal before the cigar, beverage consumed with the cigar, and environment can change your enjoyment of the stick.

J

Is an upgrade from an i5 to i7 and 128gb to 256 gb worth $170?

Yes but your workload may not notice the upgrade.

Stoked... celebrating with some Double Oaked Single Barrel... and 2 cubes. Sorry, no old fashioneds with this small batch seasonal beverage,

I went to the liquor stores here, no dice on the Woodford Pinot finished :(

If you didn't get them day one, you won't get one. I missed them, but a buddy did snag a bottle. I got to taste it, and it was fantastic. They only released 1400 bottles, unfortunately.

I am looking around here as we have a few mom and pops stores that carry a wide variety of higher end whiskeys but do not sell much.

J

Seth, this is my personal fast format of cigar love. I don't know the Davidoff you speak of directly, but Nicaraguan is my favorite usually.

#1 I like wide ring size. The wider the better. That for me. Some like smaller, but I want as wide as I can comfortably smoke and means up to a 65 ring.

#2 I like high ligaro content. Especially if drinking a bourbon.

#3 I have not found a cigar better than the caine Daytona or F1 cigars unless I spend more than 2 times the amount. Even then, it's only better in some ways. Oliva does magic with the caine series.

Ashton spellbound and dreamweavers are great. They are not as well packed. It is a faster smoke then.

Diamond crown has some amazing cigars too. They are exceptional and subtle.

I do not like really dark cigars in general, nor do I like really light. It's brand specific however. Some black as night maduros are nicely flavored, where most are harsh. Since I already prefer the highest nicotine leaves from ligaro focused cigars I don't need the wrapper or filler to be blacked to get great flavor.

Maybe with a coffee I would like dark full ligaro cigars, but for me cigars are for drinks and me time or yard work. Maybe a celebration or special event too.

Seth- first off congrats on CTI!! That is a very big accomplishment, and I am certain you will be a huge success!!!

As for your cigar question, many things effect the flavor and over all smoke. The ring guage of the stick, to how the tobacco was grown (and where), how it was cured, how accurately the blend recipe was followed, how tightly it was rolled, and lastly how long the cigar was stored and the humidity in the humidor.

As a cigar ages some of the oils leak into the plastic wrap. Quite often this brings forth some more subtle flavors than you would notice if it is fresh. As for your Davidoff question, I am truly not a fan of their cigars as they have often fallen apart on me, had burn runs, and had extremly inconsistant flavor. I honestly put them in the swisher sweet, white owl, and dutch master group- suitable only for rolling other things. That being said, have you tried out the Liga Privada, Kentucky Fire Cured, or Natural lines from Drew Estate? I also am a fan of Gurkha, Don Peppin (especially My Father's Cigar), or Alec Bradley? All are some fine sticks, and come in easily under 30 a stick.

One of the best things you can do to compair how a cigar's construction changes flavor is to try a few of the same blend in different styles. DE's Scid line makes a wafe (small box press) blonde (smaller guage stick) and 1300cc (tubo) that all share a similar blend but very different construction. Same with the Java line. They have a thick box press as well as a rolled (50 guage I believe) and are terrific. The thing to keep in mind is that simple things such as the meal before the cigar, beverage consumed with the cigar, and environment can change your enjoyment of the stick.

J

Gurkhas, huh?

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST284

I saw this sampler and steered clear, due to the price. Is it worth it?

Anything specific I should look for in the suggested cigar lines? I prefer a medium to mild smoke now.

Also, knowing how much Bill Cosby loves cigars, and that he prefers Ashtons, I wanted to grab one for this weekend from my local cigar shop.

I usually smoke with some bourbon... either on the rocks or in an old fashioned. The bourbon and stogie really compliment each other IMO.

Is an upgrade from an i5 to i7 and 128gb to 256 gb worth $170?

Depends on which version of the chips and your needs.

If anyone needs new sunglasses, my favorite kind www.fedthrill.com is running a BF bonus with the "turkey100" coupon.

J

Gurkhas, huh?

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST284

I saw this sampler and steered clear, due to the price. Is it worth it?

Anything specific I should look for in the suggested cigar lines? I prefer a medium to mild smoke now.

Also, knowing how much Bill Cosby loves cigars, and that he prefers Ashtons, I wanted to grab one for this weekend from my local cigar shop.

I usually smoke with some bourbon... either on the rocks or in an old fashioned. The bourbon and stogie really compliment each other IMO.

The Centurian and the Beast are the only cigars I would smoke from that sampler.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/specials/you-pick/gurkha-gorge-fest

Much better deal from a much better company. The Make Me An Offer section is a great place to check out too. Some serious deals available, and you choose how much you want to lowball to start.

J

Well, fawk, looks like none of my old amps fit under the seats of the new Jeep. NICE....

I wonder if I can find a narrow spare, that way I could keep my old amps. 

turkey.gif turkey.gif turkey.gif turkey.gif turkey.gif turkey.gif turkey.gif turkey.gif turkey.gif turkey.gif turkey.gif turkey.gif

Well, fawk, looks like none of my old amps fit under the seats of the new Jeep. NICE....

I wonder if I can find a narrow spare, that way I could keep my old amps.

Mount the tire on the roof?

J

What the hell happened there Ryan?

Baby Momma no can drive.