Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

What do you guys use for leather cleaning and conditioning?

For my car and then also for a leather bag.

I have that Saddleback bag and want to polish a couple scuffs. Want to keep the finish from wrinkling and cracking as much as possible this winter.

You has saddleback?

What do you think of it? I'm about getting the wife one of their purses. I'm tired of her wearing cheap ones out.

I love my bag. I don't think I can type enough to describe how much I love it. I want every size and plan on buying a couple more bags from them.

It's heavy, so my wife hates it.

I have the XL classic briefcase.

What would you like to know about it?

My pinot finish hook up is holding out for a deal on a bed. Sonofabitch!

A free Tempupedic sounds like a worthy deal. It is a spectacular bourbon.

Cardiologist cleared me for fire brigade duties, carpal tunnel tomorrow at the ass crack of dawn, and my give a damn broke somewhere along the way.

Your tool collection is awesome and one hell of an investment!

Thank you kind sir. You are now in my will...

If I could magically afford to fly Adrian, Neal, Dylan, Ryan1, NickM etc. and my car up to Seth for a bonkers have at it..... I would.

There would likely be too much alcohol involved for any real work to get done.

It sure would be fun though. 

Cardiologist cleared me for fire brigade duties, carpal tunnel tomorrow at the ass crack of dawn, and my give a damn broke somewhere along the way.

Congrats!

Nice, I used to be on ours.

My pinot finish hook up is holding out for a deal on a bed. Sonofabitch!

A free Tempupedic sounds like a worthy deal. It is a spectacular bourbon.

Ha!

Great deal. Not that great though. HOPPERS get first dibs.

Your tool collection is awesome and one hell of an investment!

Thank you kind sir. You are now in my will...

If I could magically afford to fly Adrian, Neal, Dylan, Ryan1, NickM etc. and my car up to Seth for a bonkers have at it..... I would.

There would likely be too much alcohol involved for any real work to get done.

It sure would be fun though. 

Indeed, sir!

I love my bag. I don't think I can type enough to describe how much I love it. I want every size and plan on buying a couple more bags from them.

If they are actually a good as the reviews say so. It sounds like they are.

Just saw a commercial for the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro.  Hopped on the net to check it out.  $1300.  . . . .  For what?

They are better than most reviews IMHO.

I think the biggest problem for most would be weight. I don't walk miles with it, and if I did, I use the shoulder strap.

The biggest praise I can give a product is that it gets out of my way. That bag does exactly that.

The PO of the Jeep spilled grape juice (a lot of it) in the cargo area. I found traces of it under the carpet in front of the car. So I had to take out the rear carpet and pressure wash it. I found quite a lot of pem deadener on the floor but I also found mouse droppings, corn seeds, wheat seeds and a lot of dried up grape juice. Gross. 

It's hard to keep organized. That black Macsimizer is an old box. I bought it new about 22 or 23 years ago. It is a 2 bay box, one row of drawers is 36X24, the other row is 12X24 The box is 5 feet wide, and 4.5 feet tall. It has 6 various height drawers on the 36" side, and 4 on the 12" side.

The top drawer covers the entire width and depth of the box and is a massive 4.5'X2' with stunning capacity. It is jammed full with sockets, ratchets, extensions, air tools (3 impact guns, 3 air ratchets, 2 air hammers, 1 mini reciprocating saw, 3 90 degree die grinders, 1 straight die grinder, 2 air drills, 1 air sander... I know I am forgetting stuff) accessories for the tools (air hammer bits, various arbors for the grinders and drills, rotary files, etc), there are 5 torque wrenches in it, and a 4 foot breaker bar. I'd post it, but there is so much shit in it that it looks chaotic and I don't want people thinking I am a slob, I just don't have any room, but I know where everything is.

You saw a few of the drawers on the left. Those are the only drawers I have that are not jam packed. I have a 36X24 drawer full of vise grips, pipe wrenches, chain wrenches, c-clamps, and other such oddities. Below that is a drawer full of bolt extraction and thread repair tools, from extractors, drill bits, taps, dies, thread chasers, hurricane sockets, stud removers, and other related equipment. The bottom drawer is chock full of engine tools, from ring expanders, ring cleaners, ring files, ridge reamers, straight edges, valve spring tools, head stands, bearing drivers, calipers, micrometers, dial indicators, various cam/crank/balance shaft retention tools, oil pump drive primers, etc.

On the right side I have just a small personal drawer on top, below that is a drawer full of hammers, punches, chisels, drifts, bearing and seal drivers, and just about anything that you can think of hitting with a hammer. Below that I have a drawer full of brake specialty tools, tubing tools, steering column repair tools, etc. The bottom drawer on that side is super deep and stuffed with manuals and training literature.

I also have 3 carts slam full of tools (one is a big ass roller with 4 drawers and a large open top section that I keep most of my electronic tools, scanners, and all other equipment required for electrical or drivability diagnosis work), and my old Snap On box I have stuffed with doubles, extras, rarely used tools. Finally I have 2 benches with bottom shelves slam full of specialty "in the pretty box" tools.

It's pitiful that one must acquire so much shit just to fix cars... and people look down on this profession. I have more money in tools than many people have in their homes.

That is a lot of tools. Then again since they are your bread and butter in this industry, I cannot say I am shocked.

I do want more and better tools once I move. Especially since my snap on wrenches were swiped.

J

You can never have too many tools!

I don't know... the iHop may have too many tools :eek5wavey:

Not even close, I'm starting to amass my own tool collection slowly but surely. Grab a pair of Kleins here, some channel locks here, etc... I have a 300 piece Pittsburg set that I hope lasts me until I can find a deal on a better set of sockets and such.

One day a fantastic tool deal will run across Craigslist...

I have beaten the hell out of the Pittsburg tools I have. Some broke, but at the price I paid, I cannot bitch.

J

Just saw a commercial for the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro.  Hopped on the net to check it out.  $1300.  . . . .  For what?

A tablet...

Seth, do you find people do "look down" at you for your job?

Mechanic is a job I hold in higher regard than most.

They are better than most reviews IMHO.

I think the biggest problem for most would be weight. I don't walk miles with it, and if I did, I use the shoulder strap.

The biggest praise I can give a product is that it gets out of my way. That bag does exactly that.

And of course weight is a big deal to some.  Personally I buy a bag based on configuration first then weight.  Has to look at least reasonable though and be of quality to last.

....but my needs are different.  I schlep my bag miles on some days.  When I travel I walk a ton and carry my shit with me all the time.  If I only ran bag and forth to the office it would be a completely different set of needs.  

Same reason I bought an ultrabook for a computer which btw was the best decision computerwise I've ever made.  Next PC will be like the Yoga/SurfacePro as lighter is better for me although a high resolution 13" screen is a pre-requisite as anything  smaller deflates its use IMO.

Those are gorgeous though and I love the idea.

I thought I would be upset not having pockets. I keep a lot of random small things in my bag.

The design works. If this bag lasts more than a year, it will be the longest lasting bag I have ever had.

Economicly, if it lasts 3-4 years I break even. It could easily outlast that.

Functionally it works better than other bags I have had.

I also care what I look like in my professional world. It makes a huge difference. I haven't gone to a meeting yet with peers or people above me where no one mentioned my bag.

I thought I would hate the buckle too, but now I appreciate what it does that a zipper doesn't. And I can work it one handed without looking now. The extra 2 belt straps are a bit silly, but maybe someday, I will need them to tie down a wild and crazy woman so turned on by my bag that she needs restraints.

The large would be better for almost everyone if not smaller.

I throw my dress shoes in there in the winter and have some room yet. Not easy with 13EEE

I have very particular needs and that is that everything I carry has a place.  This includes my car keys as I almost only use it when I fly.  Bag rocks for that.