Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I am going between the Mil-spec 1911 or the loaded both SS. $200 difference

If you go cheaper you can ALWAYS buy custom parts and make it your own.

1911 is like the AR of the pistol world.

BTW I have a Springfield and love it. It's my wife's favorite pistol to shoot. I got the XDm 9mm but she MUCH prefers the 1911.

Same with me I want to like the XD lines, but the 1911 feels so natural in my hand. I can get the Mil-spec for $699 and everything I have been reading on it seems for the money it is hard to beat.

I did hold the Glocks and they feel very much like the XD line.

That's wild. Glock and XDm were night and day to me.

1911s feel the absolute most natural to me however.

I'd have gone with a 9mm, but that is just me.  

I like standardization, and I've got most in 9mm and around here .45 is 50%+ more expensive than 9mm.  

Yesterday I almost broke down, seeing how my dog is. She can't get up anymore, she can barely walk and when she wants to get up she barks to let me know. Taking her to the vet today to see what we can do :(

Sorry to hear Adrian. How old is she? What breed?

Hope the vet gets her fixed up for ya.

J

Touches my face after dealing with peppers. Fudge me that sucked.

I've made the mistake of rubbing my eye after eating fire Cheetos without thoroughly cleaning all the powder off my fingers first...that was pretty hardcore suck age as well
I've touched my face after wrestling with a guy covered in pepper spray. that sucks huge.
Pepper spray directly to the face sucks, as does being shot with a tazer in the back. Both make the CS chamber seem like childs play.

J

They felt similar not the same. The XD depends on the magazine size, single stack is narrower grip, double a bit wider like the Glock. Regardless both are awesome guns, the 1911 feels more at home in my hand. 

You can never go wrong with getting more education....Knowledge is everything in life!

Experience trumps knowledge every timr.
No offense, but in my experience that's something people with no degree say to justify their lack of higher education. Your statement is definitely true in many cases, but also very wrong in many others. I have hired several people who have absolutely proven that statement wrong many times over. One of them still works for me...not enough to justify firing her yet...but should have all the experience needed to excel, and absolutely does not. Performance is average on her best day.

I went to what was ranked as the 2nd best college in the nation, have a Physics degree and no one has ever yet cared about my education.  My experience, absolutely.  I also ignore degrees pretty much when I hire.

Maybe it's just my resume then. Damn near 10 years of experience in HR, in charge of processing evaluations and awards for more people than I care to count, lead 2-25 troops at various times, two combat tours for a total of 27 months, and references that all hold me in a 'second to none' reguards. Yet no real offers.

If anyone wants to glance over my resume, PM me your email address. I will gladly send it over for critique.

J

They felt similar not the same. The XD depends on the magazine size, single stack is narrower grip, double a bit wider like the Glock. Regardless both are awesome guns, the 1911 feels more at home in my hand.

Have you put lead down range with both in the same in caliber? Hand comfort is one thing, being accurate and comfortable as the trigger is squeezed is another.

J

Blazer ammo 50ct here is $4 more a box for a 45, so yes a little more but nothing crazy.

Also keep in mind I buy lots of boxes when I buy. Just for reference I have 26 boxes of 525ct and 12 boxes of 325ct 22Lr. You can do the math, but I might have an addiction. :) 

Yea, my buddy Joe has a collection of Glocks and I have gotten to shoot his. I have not shot the XD. I have been window shopping hands on for feel and I keep going back to the 1911.

Honestly the more I thought about if I were to go with a 9mm, the Ruger sr9 is a sweet gun for the money.

J I have been told I like a heavier trigger by how I was shooting. Not sure how Joe could tell that but he has not given me bad advice yet.

Experience is often more valuable, but often those with experience are still lazy.

Education is useful because people in debt are motivated!

:-)

28-years-old-tl4ml0.jpg

I have never met anyone that meets that criteria.

That was me up until three months ago.

You can never go wrong with getting more education....Knowledge is everything in life!

Experience trumps knowledge every timr.
No offense, but in my experience that's something people with no degree say to justify their lack of higher education. Your statement is definitely true in many cases, but also very wrong in many others. I have hired several people who have absolutely proven that statement wrong many times over. One of them still works for me...not enough to justify firing her yet...but should have all the experience needed to excel, and absolutely does not. Performance is average on her best day.

I went to what was ranked as the 2nd best college in the nation, have a Physics degree and no one has ever yet cared about my education.  My experience, absolutely.  I also ignore degrees pretty much when I hire.

I should clarify, my ONLY expectation of anyone with a degree is that in college they learned ONE and only one thing.  

Yep. I agree 200%.

I don't have a college education and you will find very few technicians in this nation who can, and do, perform at the level that I do. Without blowing smoke up my own ass, I feel I am in the top 5% of techs in this country, my coworker said he feels I am in the top 2-3%. I work hard, and work very well. I worked while cancer was destroying my body, I went to work puking from chemo, I went to work when I was unable to walk across my shop. Even being that ill I performed at a greater level than 2 of 4 other techs at my shop.

I have worked with techs who have engineering degrees, and in fact I work with a guy with his engineering degree. His drive to work is no where near my level. He is quick to leave when he has no work or if he has to go hunting. He feels he is so smart that his time is best spent elsewhere if he is not seeing the hours he wants.

I have found that people who hide behind "those without a degree are lazy" are hiding their laziness behind their degree.

But what do I know? I am a long haired druggie, alcoholic who doesn't have to scrape up a few pennies for a POS car... in mmy early 40s I had enough money to retire comfortably... but I don't have a degree, all I have is a little experience; so I must not work hard.

I am glad a dude like Sean can see past a piece of paper. It is leaders like him, with vision, who realizes that a degree means very little compared to drive and experience.

Springfield makes a 9 and 45 in the 1911 I want, but they are the same price. So to me it makes no sense to buy the 9. If I want a 9 I will go with the XD line for 400 less.

Ammo prices not that big of a difference. Yes the 45 is a little more, but I will not be shooting this like we do our 22's.

If I was buying a 1911, it would be a Kimber.

Seth based on what I know of you, I agree with your coworker.

Springfield makes a 9 and 45 in the 1911 I want, but they are the same price. So to me it makes no sense to buy the 9. If I want a 9 I will go with the XD line for 400 less.

Ammo prices not that big of a difference. Yes the 45 is a little more, but I will not be shooting this like we do our 22's.

They are very nice, he'll I even priced them too. A former cop friend has all Kimber and national has them in stock. The Kimber 45 that I like is $895.00 with a 5" barrel.

Seth based on what I know of you, I agree with your coworker.

Much appreciated, but honestly when you get into the top 10%, that is a big fuckin' deal, and it is hard for people outside the industry to understand exactly what that means. When we see stuff that comes from dealerships that were not able to be repaired with engineer's help and we fix it, that is huge.

I had a 2003 4Runner with a 4L today that was at 2 local dealerships with P0136 and P0156 (both O2 sensor downstream circuit error codes). There is a factory TSB that has an update for the downstream O2s, and all 4 O2s were replaced. The O2s dropped to dead 0V after running for ~2 minutes. The dealerships replaced the MAF sensor, CTS, all 4O2s, both upstream cats, intake gaskets, and the PCM. This vehicle went through tech support (Toyota factory engineers) at 2 different dealerships. Within 1 hour of it in my stall I made a call. I replaced the brand new updated downstream O2s that were replaced at the dealer last week. I fixed the car. She spent 4 grand at the dealer, and $600 with me.

Those of us at that level are 6 figure earners, and it is hard to set yourself above the pack. I am a natural leader, which makes my job easier. I do lean on others for input, which at a high level you don't see a lot of. We are arrogant, and cocky... but I do remember where I came from. Years of experience with brilliant techs taught me what I know, and how to think outside of the box.

They are very nice, he'll I even priced them too. A former cop friend has all Kimber and national has them in stock. The Kimber 45 that I like is $895.00 with a 5" barrel.

I have an old Colt 1911, and it is a great gun. It fits well in my hand as well, but I like the M&P for carry. It is also not fatiguing, which is surprising. If it is a carry gun, I might suggest that the 1911 is a big piece. Just keep that in mind, bud.

I have literally not slept in 52 hours. Even the sleeping pills have not worked.

Experience is often more valuable, but often those with experience are still lazy.

Education is useful because people in debt are motivated!

:-)

28-years-old-tl4ml0.jpg
I have never met anyone that meets that criteria.

That was me up until three months ago.

How long were you unemployed since your last job?

I have had bad experiences with Kimber, not my gun, a friend's. I think they had a short time where quality was shit... I think I read that. It could be just talk.

My Springfield is about 4000 rounds in and only the buffer pad needed replacing, and I don't know how many rounds it had on it before that.

If I were to be in the market for a new 1911 it would probably be some exotic frame like an Sti double stack or similar.