Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

The guy is not building a purpose built car. He's building something he wants to have fun. Quit analazing everything to be logical in the purest sense or economical. I assure you the hotrodder will always win on the money front.

Can't be logical. Probably the ugliest car ever made both interior and exterior. And building for bragging rights is shameful as for being unique, it isn't.

In reality a $200 4.8 with 100k miles add turbo will RAPE your "national idea". It isn't 1980 don't try to make it come back

Exactly. There are things now like more than 2 valves per cylinder, overhead camshafts...

Even my diesel is DOHC.

The LS 4.8 I cited doesn't have 2...but it will still rape any Grand National motor. Not having a completely modern Fuel Injection system is retarded if you are building a car. Obvious exception is old shit with a carb, but once you go injected use a modern piece.
The GN used port injection, so the fuel system is virtually the same. He would have to go stand-alone or adapt (which would be simple given tbe Camaro already has the same system basics) the existing system. Basically a pump/injector/regulator swap, and a good tune.
Complete drop in LS with harness and ECU are dirt cheap.

The dumb thing here is that in a Turbo motor it isn't the motor that makes power but the Turbo. Comes down to what will run the Turbo more efficientliy and this is where the LS will destroy things. Doesn't suck that if you pop a stock motor you can pick one up for $200.

Plenty of guys running stock bottom ends near 1000hp with them. Good luck with a GN motor doing that. That alone tells the whole story.

Your argument was that the fuel system is archaic when indeed it's not. While we're at it, the Buick 3.8 architecture has changed very little since the 70s, so even the GN engine could be considered modern. Hell, if you want to argue further, there's nothing advanced about the LS design either. Most all it's technology is old and proven and been in use for decades, so. . I really see no valid points here.

His stock harness will almost plug right in, so there's half the battle won. GM used both the 3800 and 3400 in them.

I personally would use the Vortec 4.3 if doing a six.

You also have to remember your definition of cheap is far different than many others on the board.

Not everyone wants an LS swap. Hotrodding encompasses all types.

With boost, computer controls, and advancements in materials and machining, it's relatively simple and economical to make big power with anything.

More interested in the ECU from 98 on than the motor. That was my comment. Sure you can do an aftermarket and I realize not everyone wants an LS, but in a car that will never be worth anything starting off with the cheapest way to make power is logical.
The LS is not logical in his instance. He has to source more parts and perform more labor. He could literally run down to the junk yard, get a 3800 slap on the turbos, drive to the tuner and be driving daily. LS will require harness removal and installation, relocation of some underhood and chassis items, a new driveshaft, extra parts he won't need for the V6, and so on.

The only advantages the LS provides is the potential for more power and the huge aftermarket.

The LT1 has more capability to make power than the 3.8 for less too. If I were bothering to do a swap though I wouldn't step backwards.

You're missing the point entirely. You're calling the guy stupid and telling him he's wrong because it's not what you would do or what you think is best. It doesn't matter what you think or know, it's not your car.

The part I said he is wrong on is the unique aspect. As for building the car, I don't understand even buying one of those things.

In reality a $200 4.8 with 100k miles add turbo will RAPE your "national idea". It isn't 1980 don't try to make it come back

Exactly. There are things now like more than 2 valves per cylinder, overhead camshafts...

Even my diesel is DOHC.

The LS 4.8 I cited doesn't have 2...but it will still rape any Grand National motor. Not having a completely modern Fuel Injection system is retarded if you are building a car. Obvious exception is old shit with a carb, but once you go injected use a modern piece.

The GN used port injection, so the fuel system is virtually the same. He would have to go stand-alone or adapt (which would be simple given tbe Camaro already has the same system basics) the existing system. Basically a pump/injector/regulator swap, and a good tune.

The dumb thing here is that in a Turbo motor it isn't the motor that makes power but the Turbo. Comes down to what will run the Turbo more efficientliy and this is where the LS will destroy things. Doesn't suck that if you pop a stock motor you can pick one up for $200.

Plenty of guys running stock bottom ends near 1000hp with them. Good luck with a GN motor doing that. That alone tells the whole story.

Your argument was that the fuel system is archaic when indeed it's not. While we're at it, the Buick 3.8 architecture has changed very little since the 70s, so even the GN engine could be considered modern. Hell, if you want to argue further, there's nothing advanced about the LS design either. Most all it's technology is old and proven and been in use for decades, so. . I really see no valid points here.

His stock harness will almost plug right in, so there's half the battle won. GM used both the 3800 and 3400 in them.

You also have to remember your definition of cheap is far different than many others on the board.

With boost, computer controls, and advancements in materials and machining, it's relatively simple and economical to make big power with anything.

More interested in the ECU from 98 on than the motor. That was my comment. Sure you can do an aftermarket and I realize not everyone wants an LS, but in a car that will never be worth anything starting off with the cheapest way to make power is logical.

The LS is not logical in his instance. He has to source more parts and perform more labor. He could literally run down to the junk yard, get a 3800 slap on the turbos, drive to the tuner and be driving daily. LS will require harness removal and installation, relocation of some underhood and chassis items, a new driveshaft, extra parts he won't need for the V6, and so on.

The only advantages the LS provides is the potential for more power and the huge aftermarket.

The LT1 has more capability to make power than the 3.8 for less too. If I were bothering to do a swap though I wouldn't step backwards.

You're missing the point entirely. You're calling the guy stupid and telling him he's wrong because it's not what you would do or what you think is best. It doesn't matter what you think or know, it's not your car.

The part I said he is wrong on is the unique aspect. As for building the car, I don't understand even buying one of those things.

Maybe you should watch this huh2.gif  Not far from stock with a single T66..

Even my diesel is DOHC.

Maybe you should watch this huh2.gif  Not far from stock with a single T66..

I don't even need to, pretty easy to know what a T66 can support. Engine is only a way of making a turbo spool pretty much.

And to be clear, what I did was stupid. An Escalade will NEVER be fast. Of course I never plan to race anything. I don't give a shit what people think of it. I didn't build the truck to be original, to show off, but just to make me happy as I drive it around and fill my needs for a vehicle.

If I didn't have a driveway that was a cliff, need to pull a snowmobile trailer since we never get snow, and have kiddies to transport around I'd be in something EXTREMELY different.

Don't get me wrong, the GN was wicked in its time. So was the 64 GTO though. You surely don't see too many people swapping a 389 into a 4th gen GTO. The other way around though is becoming commonplace. Sure it would be more unique to have the older mill in the newer car, but why?

Simple math too. With a turbo that supports 700hp and having 2 you will need one hell of a bottom end to support that. The economics of getting a wee 6 to do it versus and 8 is confusing. Normally once you eclipse 7-800 or so is where the transition to an LS becomes super cheap in comparison.

I think the LS is a turd btw. Antique technology. It has one super advantage on most other things though and it is economy of scale.

3.8 stock bottom end can support about 500rwhp, no?

I briefly searched for a 231 shortblock that could support real power. Jegs/Summit etc don't sell them. That tells a story....

I really wish the Galpin Rocket was not $125k. Frickin' gorgeous.

Hmmm

IMG_20150521_083218_zpsaiaa4npt.jpg

IMG_20150521_093057_zpsd68vvpc9.jpg

IMG_20150521_112331_zpsndmysafl.jpg

Getting closer.

Hell yeah !

Is that huge new cooler in front for the tranny ?

The cooler is the radiator for the supercharger. I may have to pull it off later and add another tranny cooler.
Interesting, so you are running a charge cooler, nice

Even my diesel is DOHC.

I knew that and i implied that it's a better choice to run something more modern and by more modern i meant more efficient.

You do suck

I bet he can suck a golf ball through a garden hose !

I think that's his warm up. I believe his real act is suck starting a diesel.

J

Mine was a quote from full metal jacket :F

Rain rain go away. Last year we were dealing with droughts this time of year, now everyday we are under a flash flood warning. My allergies are fucking me big time.

My mother in law (who is a seemstress) is currently waiting on a bride to pick up her dress. The bride is getting married at 5pm today.

It is currently 3:14 here for you guys in other time zones.

3:18 now.

She isn't getting married.

So, superglue and baking soda doesn't like hot antifreeze. On Monday I will boil some epoxy in antifreeze. Bison brags that their 5-minute epoxy works up to 100*C. If they are conservative, it should be fine boiling it

The fix on the overflow tank started leaking and came off way too easily. The section on the radiator is leaking through slowly, after 300 miles

Kind of bummed that the fix doesn't hold. But i still have 2 weeks until leaving on the trip. Still need to build the downpipe and figure out a small airdam.

I had plans to do some work today on the only nice rain free day we've had in weeks.  I have been dealing with a mirgraine all day and closed up in my room, all light blocked.  . . .   And it's supposed to rain the next three days.  Go figure.

3:18 now.

She isn't getting married.

She picked it up at 3:35. Walked out with it without looking or knowing how to bussel it.