Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Thanks for all the compassion guys. Please don't assume the people here who abuse the systems here are anything like the upstanding fellers in the hope. :)

Just sharing my thoughts.

So, I made a deal to buy a new car today. Spoke with the dealer last night, made a down payment, told them I'd be there around 2PM today. I get halfway there and they call and tell me they sold the car. I was an hour into the drive, and how the fuck do you sell a car with a down payment on it? I'm thoroughly pissed.

Another raw deal!

I'm drenched in sweat. My store looks fuggin sexy doe.

Boomshakalaka.

Trying to decide if I fell like playing with the tranny tonight trink40.gif

Trying to decide if I fell like playing with the tranny tonight trink40.gif

GAY!!!! Only play with the TRANNY'S on the weekends huh? Edited by Stephen93s10

OK headphoners...

I looked at the Grado RS-2s and while I think I would be in sonic nirvana, I see too many shortcomings for these to suit my needs. The biggest is comfort. In all my readings the size of the ear cups and the rigid foam seem to be long term listening hindrances. I'm certain I don't want to suffer comfort issues if I am spending $500-850 on a set of cans (the RS2e and RS2i respectively). Obviously they produce better than my other finalists with regards to midrange clarity and high end detail, really only lacking in depth compared to the Senns. I love their sensitivity and the super low impedance (32ohm) make them desirable as well. My headphone amp is perfectly capable of 32 ohm loads, and it handles my Senn Momentums easily.

Now on to the Senns, which is really where I think I am going to end up...

The question is, what do I gain by spending the extra $110 going from the HD600s to the HD650s? From what I can discern, the 650 is just more nicely appointed, using real metal cups and hardware, while the 600 uses plastic on the cups and as a cover for the band. While the 650s are listed at 10 Hz - 39.5 KHz and the 600s are listed at 12-39K, it seems they use the same drivers and architecture. They are both 300 ohm units (which is a bummer, but they are really efficient, and they will be driven with my tube amp), both are reviewed as beyond exceptionally comfortable, and they are really the only competitors to the RS-2 I feel I want to use.

Finally, and I know I have beaten around the bush about this before, but I am going to ask a few questions directly... If I go full size on the Momentums I am moving into closed cups. Benefits: Bass responce and noise cancellation. How loud are the 600s and 650s externally? Obviously they will be audible, and I tend to listen to cans by myself, so it isn't a huge deal, but I don't want to be ridiculous at the same time. Also, is it really beneficial to have the cans so open and airy? I understand the benefits of a dipole, but I also understand the drawbacks... With a good dipole speaker you need a strong bottom end boost, so exactly how much does the dipole can suffer from bottom end losses? Or do I really need to shut the fuck up about the momentums and go with the open 600/650?

Amp:

I was bummed with the Mullard 6V6GT tubes. They really were nice and warm and had great depth, and they broke up really nicely, but the midrange was really muddy. Vocals were very distant. I have a set of Tung-Sol 6V6GTs in it right now. They are still breaking in, but everything is much more vibrant. So far I think I am a fan of the Tung-Sol (Russian made tubes). I am going to be trying a few other sets in the near future and will post about them if they are worthy.

smDSCN3156_zpsrmvi8x7q.jpg

smDSCN3149_zpsboqcqjsc.jpg

Love that picture.  I'm itching to order the 598's.

Hell yeah. The 598s look awesome. They are 50 ohm units so they will fair well with higher output devices like iPods, good phones, and good laptops, plus they are high enough load that you should have a good headphone amp selection available to you if you go that route..

I'll have to get a shot with the Tung-Sols in it. They look better then the 6P6Ps.

Trying to decide if I fell like playing with the tranny tonight trink40.gif

I think Kaitlin Jenner is really a woman now, so it isn't tranny fuckin' now, bruh...

Next purchase, DAC. I want fairly compact, USB in, 3.5mm or stereo RCA out (Prefer the 3.5MM though, as I have an awesome 3.5-Stereo RCA cable) unit. I want a 24bit 96kHz unit. Looking at the Audioquest Dragonfly and the`Schitt Modi. Yes, seriously, Schitt. the Schitt Valhala was one of the tube amps I was looking at initially.

Jesus, I'm gonna have a chunk into my damn headphone setup.

Modi

modi%202%20main%201000.jpg

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

Dragonfly

dragonFly_colors550.jpg

http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac

40 now. 1-2 shifts flare or pull torque management is nutso strong

Get some miles on them to scuff the finish layer, then see how they bite.

Ha, I have no rear sway bar atm either.  Lost a bolt, waiting for a bushing.

They GRIP big time from a dead stop.  6000lbs and 4 305's and even with >650hp they don't burn like hell.  Stock tires I couldn't keep from spinning, these grab.

Of course my transmission isn't particularly healthy at the moment, but that deserves another post.

So, I made a deal to buy a new car today. Spoke with the dealer last night, made a down payment, told them I'd be there around 2PM today. I get halfway there and they call and tell me they sold the car. I was an hour into the drive, and how the fuck do you sell a car with a down payment on it? I'm thoroughly pissed.

Another raw deal!

You get fucked harder than anyone I know.  2nd up is my brother.  He had the same thing happen.  End result though was that they bought him a car from an auction that was exactly what he was looking for and sold it without markup.

Another raw deal!

Next purchase, DAC. I want fairly compact, USB in, 3.5mm or stereo RCA out (Prefer the 3.5MM though, as I have an awesome 3.5-Stereo RCA cable) unit. I want a 24bit 96kHz unit. Looking at the Audioquest Dragonfly and the`Schitt Modi. Yes, seriously, Schitt. the Schitt Valhala was one of the tube amps I was looking at initially.

Modi

Dragonfly

dragonFly_colors550.jpg

Behringer UA202 (IIRC)  202 for sure.

Has BB DAC's and sounds killer.  I have a few of them.  $20, but I wouldn't personally spend more.

Transmission update.

2-6 Clutch is going out.  The rest of the transmission is in good to great shape.  It is AMAZING what you can do with a tune.  I am now searching for a 6L90 to build.  Bought myself a good month of driving and some time with the tune.  Figure if I upgrade the transmission I might as well go to the 90 over the 80.  Will make building it right easier.  Still not cheap, :Doh:

With torque management off I cannot shift into 2nd gear above 4500rpm.  Not even close.  Does fine below.  Added some extra TM on that shift, lowered the shift point to 4000 ( :( ) and now the truck drives real well everywhere.  Tightened up the shifting too.  Downshifts are brutal.  Definitely hard on the transfer case/axles brutal.  Tires hook and the truck darn near explodes.  Might soften those, lol.  

Two things I can't do for the next month or so if I want to limp.

WOT from a dig 

6-2 downshifts - those fucking flare and explode BIG time

If anyone knows where I can grab a 6L90 core and a usable CTS-V torque converter, I need both.  Preferably if they appeared in Richmond or Houston TX.  (Century/Circle D respectively)

Modi

Dragonfly

dragonFly_colors550.jpg

Has BB DAC's and sounds killer.  I have a few of them.  $20, but I wouldn't personally spend more.

UCA202?

Ha, I have no rear sway bar atm either. Lost a bolt, waiting for a bushing.

They GRIP big time from a dead stop. 6000lbs and 4 305's and even with >650hp they don't burn like hell. Stock tires I couldn't keep from spinning, these grab.

Of course my transmission isn't particularly healthy at the moment, but that deserves another post.

Can't wait till you can romp on it harder. The ones I put the Camry kick ass so far.

Modi

Dragonfly

dragonFly_colors550.jpg

UCA202?

Yes.  Pure digital out too if you have a different pre-amp.

Ha, I have no rear sway bar atm either. Lost a bolt, waiting for a bushing.

They GRIP big time from a dead stop. 6000lbs and 4 305's and even with >650hp they don't burn like hell. Stock tires I couldn't keep from spinning, these grab.

Can't wait till you can romp on it harder. The ones I put the Camry kick ass so far.

Just flashed a new tune.  Going to brake stand it in the morning and see what happens. :P

I would right now, but I've had too much wine to drive like that lol

Vino sounds good right now.

Mad Dog 20/20 huh2.gif

If anyone knows where I can grab a 6L90 core and a usable CTS-V torque converter, I need both.  Preferably if they appeared in Richmond or Houston TX.  (Century/Circle D respectively)

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/5057978522.html

http://flint.craigslist.org/pts/5019444152.html

88 degrees out real feel 110..Humidity is 60% my bell pepper plants are looking rough "wilting" I am going to water them individually in a few..Any suggestions?

88 degrees out real feel 110..Humidity is 60% my bell pepper plants are looking rough "wilting" I am going to water them individually in a few..Any suggestions?

Miracle grow.