Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

OK headphoners...

I looked at the Grado RS-2s and while I think I would be in sonic nirvana, I see too many shortcomings for these to suit my needs. The biggest is comfort. In all my readings the size of the ear cups and the rigid foam seem to be long term listening hindrances. I'm certain I don't want to suffer comfort issues if I am spending $500-850 on a set of cans (the RS2e and RS2i respectively). Obviously they produce better than my other finalists with regards to midrange clarity and high end detail, really only lacking in depth compared to the Senns. I love their sensitivity and the super low impedance (32ohm) make them desirable as well. My headphone amp is perfectly capable of 32 ohm loads, and it handles my Senn Momentums easily.

Now on to the Senns, which is really where I think I am going to end up...

The question is, what do I gain by spending the extra $110 going from the HD600s to the HD650s? From what I can discern, the 650 is just more nicely appointed, using real metal cups and hardware, while the 600 uses plastic on the cups and as a cover for the band. While the 650s are listed at 10 Hz - 39.5 KHz and the 600s are listed at 12-39K, it seems they use the same drivers and architecture. They are both 300 ohm units (which is a bummer, but they are really efficient, and they will be driven with my tube amp), both are reviewed as beyond exceptionally comfortable, and they are really the only competitors to the RS-2 I feel I want to use.

Finally, and I know I have beaten around the bush about this before, but I am going to ask a few questions directly... If I go full size on the Momentums I am moving into closed cups. Benefits: Bass responce and noise cancellation. How loud are the 600s and 650s externally? Obviously they will be audible, and I tend to listen to cans by myself, so it isn't a huge deal, but I don't want to be ridiculous at the same time. Also, is it really beneficial to have the cans so open and airy? I understand the benefits of a dipole, but I also understand the drawbacks... With a good dipole speaker you need a strong bottom end boost, so exactly how much does the dipole can suffer from bottom end losses? Or do I really need to shut the fuck up about the momentums and go with the open 600/650?

Amp:

I was bummed with the Mullard 6V6GT tubes. They really were nice and warm and had great depth, and they broke up really nicely, but the midrange was really muddy. Vocals were very distant. I have a set of Tung-Sol 6V6GTs in it right now. They are still breaking in, but everything is much more vibrant. So far I think I am a fan of the Tung-Sol (Russian made tubes). I am going to be trying a few other sets in the near future and will post about them if they are worthy.

smDSCN3156_zpsrmvi8x7q.jpg

smDSCN3149_zpsboqcqjsc.jpg

How long do you wear them at a time.  I generally prefer a closed set, but can't wear them terribly long or I sweat too much.  Of course I sweat sitting still so that doesn't say a whole lot.

Speaking of priorities 20150618_152002-1_zpsnc9qwpkc.jpg

Finally rolling on the Nitto's! 

Indeed.  BEASTS!

20150618_1433131_zpsnhsup5qw.jpg

Hope you like them as much as I do.

How long do you wear them at a time.  I generally prefer a closed set, but can't wear them terribly long or I sweat too much.  Of course I sweat sitting still so that doesn't say a whole lot.

Maybe you should call your local A/C guy huh2.gif

I have been known to sit with them on for 3 or 4 hours lately. Been doing a lot of research, so I am wanting something more comfortable than the Momentum On-Ears

I have been known to sit with them on for 3 or 4 hours lately. Been doing a lot of research, so I am wanting something more comfortable than the Momentum On-Ears

There nice seth,great job bro!

I think comfort would be a REALLY strong tie breaker for me...but my pinna are huge so that REALLY limits the choices.

Indeed. BEASTS!

Those remind me of my old Yokohama rubber bands. Favorite tire ever.

I think comfort would be a REALLY strong tie breaker for me...but my pinna are huge so that REALLY limits the choices.

">http://Dish1000-4-4_zpsehggwgue.jpg

">http://http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/mikel7829/media/Alfred20E_20Neuman_zps1yeu0s5m.jpg.html'>Alfred20E_20Neuman_zps1yeu0s5m.jpg

huh2.gif

My AKG phones are the most comfortable cans ever.

Amazing.

Not sure if I could give them a recommendation for your needs Seth as I don't know what your ears would hear. I have the Quincy Jones edition that supposedly have a bit more bass. They are sublime comfort and beyond cruel to poor recordings. Not much low end IMHO, but I like a bass influenced sound.

They have really excellent imaging for the price I think. It's not magnepans in a dedicated room or anything, but pretty awesome.

I should mention that I don't have the benefit of an amp either. Just the 1/4" out from my old Integra receiver.

Edited by dem beats

Coincidentally massdrop is having a crazy ducking sale on some AKG cans right now.

Closed back studio style. Fairly sure it will have more bass.

Ahh, home crap home

Buffalo named most dangerous place in New York State

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - The Queen City is number one on a list of the 10 most dangerous places in New York State.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/buffalo-named-most-dangerous-place-in-new-york-state#st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=

Not a huge surprise at all. Population declining, crime increasing, and jobs vanishing. A perfect recipe for crime.

I fucking HATE saying this, but Bauffalo is on their way to becoming the next Detroit.

Minus all the Stanley Cups that is.

J

The MiniDSP is picking up noise. I tried 3 different 5 volt chargers, I managed to get one of them to work to the point that there is no difference in noise between with / without charging the phone too. At least everything is in a nice plastic box now.

I'll try to unplug the CD Changer and stock radio, maybe those happen to add some interference on the associated wiring. 

Indeed.  BEASTS!

If you happen to find a good soaking rain, let me know how they handle when the road ponds a bit.

Down here when it rains a bit the oils seep up from the asphault. With the 'offroad' tires I currently have on the Tundra I have to oet the idle torque push it forward a bit before hitting the gas (even lightly) or it starts to slip and the limited slip kicks in.

J

The isolated DC-DC converter should be here Tuesday

:woot: :woot: :woot: 

Similar thing as used in the miniDC, a small black box.

IF that works and cleans up my noise, I'll order a 3A converter for powering the phone. 

Comfort is the key here, and it is really the only reason I put the Grados out of contention. I would have coughed up the cash for them willingly.

HFC312.test.grado-970-80.jpg

Indeed.  BEASTS!20150618_1433131_zpsnhsup5qw.jpg

If you happen to find a good soaking rain, let me know how they handle when the road ponds a bit.

Down here when it rains a bit the oils seep up from the asphault. With the 'offroad' tires I currently have on the Tundra I have to oet the idle torque push it forward a bit before hitting the gas (even lightly) or it starts to slip and the limited slip kicks in.

J

i expect they will brrak loose at will,lol. On stock tundra power they will be hooked up though i am sure

Indeed.  BEASTS!20150618_1433131_zpsnhsup5qw.jpg

J

i expect they will brrak loose at will,lol. On stock tundra power they will be hooked up though i am sure

Lol valid point Sean.

J

What tires do you currently have? My dynapro ATM's have been great in the rain even with the tread wearing get down.

I do have 315s though.

305/35/24 Nitto 420s so NOT quite 315 lol

Drove an SS Camaro and a GT Mustang today.  Man is the Chevy a piece of shit in comparison.  They better step up for the new one.

What tires do you currently have? My dynapro ATM's have been great in the rain even with the tread wearing get down.

I do have 315s though.

If that was directed at me, they are Nitto Terra Grappler AT 275/65R18 XL.

Tryng to decide what's next. I suspect brakes will need to be done soon too. Got the truck 4 years ago, and each time the stealership claims they are fine. I'd like to get my trip to Buffalo and back in July without having to drop the cash on getting these done.

J