Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

i forget what your pc specs are, or did you go with a nuc? maybe the motherboard wont have those pins.... 

Nuc does, I am using them now with a Carnetix P1900 but it is not at all reliable

Little over a month then I get to drive home for a little vacation.

J

One more pic during the amp install. 

IMG_20150605_160825404.jpg

I have some alternator whine with the phone un-powered and the mini-dsp powered from the rear 12v wire I found and stupid loud alternator whine when I charge the phone. Powering both the phone and the mini-dsp from a 5v phone charger cures all the noise, today I will run a USB cord all the way to where the amps are and install the 5v charger there. Also need to build a turn-off delay circuit for the mini-dsp, long enough to turn on the engine. 

Any thoughts on how I could have a momentary ground closure upon powering down my car?

The power supply I bought for my carpc can blow me.

Momentary ground closure? You want the ground disconnected momentarily? 

I *assume* it is a ground or continuity switch.  Want to turn my pc on.

the pins on motherboard which are typically connect to a button on the case (which turn the pc on and off) are just shorting pins. connect those to a momentary switch and you can turn it on whenever. 

How do I automate a shorting connection upon seeing voltage and as the voltage goes away?

no idea. how about wake on lan? 

I have some alternator whine with the phone un-powered and the mini-dsp powered from the rear 12v wire I found and stupid loud alternator whine when I charge the phone. Powering both the phone and the mini-dsp from a 5v phone charger cures all the noise, today I will run a USB cord all the way to where the amps are and install the 5v charger there. Also need to build a turn-off delay circuit for the mini-dsp, long enough to turn on the engine. 

Any thoughts on how I could have a momentary ground closure upon powering down my car?

the pins on motherboard which are typically connect to a button on the case (which turn the pc on and off) are just shorting pins. connect those to a momentary switch and you can turn it on whenever. 

How do I automate a shorting connection upon seeing voltage and as the voltage goes away?

no idea. how about wake on lan? 

Will it sleep on no Lan then?  Can I just wire + whatever volts to the Lan input as a trigger?  (obviously whatever is something specific)

ie, leave the pc connected to the car battery but the accessory power fire the LAN voltage

J

Where to?

ie, leave the pc connected to the car battery but the accessory power fire the LAN voltage

well if you just need accessory power to trigger the pc to boot up/down than you could use a psu with those features. not sure how the boot off works

probably some good info here 

The power-off time delay circuit is what I've built: 

http://www.bowdenshobbycircuits.info/page2.htm

Works perfectly for the turn-off pop.

BUT I still haven't cured the noise. Engine off, phone unpowered, light noise. Engine on, phone unpowered, light alternator whine, loudness goes up with the amp gain. Every time I power the phone noise level goes through the roof. I couldn't figure it out last night, it was 2AM. 

Same 5v supply for the MiniDSP and phone. MiniDSP RCA shields are grounded. Tried a different ground for the 5v supply, same noise. I either have some really bad RCA y-cables or I have a bad amplifier ground. 

I'm going to try: 

Different 12v and switched 12v for the 5v supply

External ground cable for the amps

No RCA Y-cables

Set the MiniDSP input voltage to 2v RMS (I don't see why it would help though)

RCA directly from phone to amp. 

Come on 10AM, I want to go buy a box for the MiniDSP and the delay circuit. The MiniDSP has been sitting in an APM-1 cardboard box ever since I installed it. 

The Miata was so simple. Just connect everything and NO noise. 

I can't figure out why I have so much noise. I'm using the switched 12v which is in the stock system. Turn on the radio, switched 12v is hot. It would be the stupidest thing to have some sort of interference because of the stock radio and cd changer. 

Looks like I need a better USB charger or even an isolated DC-DC converter. I've already ordered 2 300mA isolated converters but it's going to take a bit for those to arrive. Why did I cheap out and didn't buy the miniDC? 

Last day of the week for me 3 day weekend fixing to start!!! Will be here till 7 or 8 tonight but oh well..Not looking foward to the dentist appointment in the morning..Good ole' root canal..

Last day of the week for me 3 day weekend fixing to start!!! Will be here till 7 or 8 tonight but oh well..Not looking foward to the dentist appointment in the morning..Good ole' root canal..

Eh at least you will get doped up

Probably wont take it if they give me anything because if so I would not want to drink beer.

Probably wont take it if they give me anything because if so I would not want to drink beer.

That sounds healthy...priorities...:Doh:

Speaking of priorities 20150618_152002-1_zpsnc9qwpkc.jpg

I like it! Don't know why you don't.

Speaking of priorities 20150618_152002-1_zpsnc9qwpkc.jpg

Finally rolling on the Nitto's! 

Brisket. Pecan wood. Big Green Egg. sleepwerd4.gif

Brisket. Pecan wood. Big Green Egg. sleepwerd4.gif

+1 for you, very yummy!

Fuck this heat. And fuck the guy that beat me to the building I wanted to open my own shop.

This whole process is wearing me out. There is so much red tape and finding a good location is proving a daunting task.

J

Where to?

My hometown.

Ahh, home crap home
Buffalo named most dangerous place in New York State

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - The Queen City is number one on a list of the 10 most dangerous places in New York State.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/buffalo-named-most-dangerous-place-in-new-york-state#st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=