Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Again, the body is the LEAST important thing.  Shop glass, not bodies.

If you are truly stuck in the budget domain, that setup will absolutely get MURDERED by a mirrorless for the same dough.  Not even in the same ball park.

If you ask around you can probably convince someone to GIVE you a kit lens.  They are seriously pointless.

Going from F/4 to F/1.4 with the same light at the same iso you need to change your shutter speed from  1/60 to 1/500.  It is a MONSTER difference.

Another way to say that is going from F/1.4 to F/4 in ISO you would have to go from ISO 100 to ISO 800 or more importantly ISO 1000 to ISO 8000.  If you ever need 8000 for anything you should stop, grab a tripod or of course better glass.

A body buys you Focus first and foremost, after that ISO performance.  The rest are just settings they all have.  Conveniently glass buys you more in that you can greatly improve the focus (it takes light) and remove the necessity for having low ISO noise.

I know you don't want to pay $2000 for a 70-200, but fuck it just don't get something that shoots long.  You'll find that the Nikkor you are looking at can't focus on subjects that are moving a long ways away anyways rendering it functionally useless.  It'll also stink at portraits since the F/4 isn't enough for bokeh worth a damn which was one of your first targets.

Add to that the 18-55 just won't work inside without a flash (and a flash adds $200+) you'll really not like using it at all.

You will NOT have those problems on a mirrorless....or with real glass.

On 5/2/2016 at 10:08 PM, ///M5 said:

If you are really budget limited a used 40D is a ton of body for $180.  Allows for some nice glass.

On 5/2/2016 at 10:10 PM, ///M5 said:

50d isn't much of an upgrade, 60d too close in price to the 70d

And I do feel the pro-sumer bodies are better, but mostly for control.  They get rid of the stupid auto crap you should never use and focus on the settings you will.

After a quick look I could find a 40d and a 50mm 1.4 for $453 shipped in great condition condition. Would that not be a good starting point?

Also, the difference I'm seeing in 60d to 70d is huge; like nearly double the price.

What's the difference between 60d and 6d and the like?

1 hour ago, sandt38 said:

D5500, Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II AF-S DX Nikkor lens, 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G VR II AF-S DX Nikkor lens for $689.90. That is a refurb body (by Nikon USA) and a used (near mint) 55-200mm ($350 list). I think that is a fair deal. Should get me started.

Yes? No? I have not pulled the trigger yet.

I would seek wider aperatures.

44 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Again, the body is the LEAST important thing.  Shop glass, not bodies.

If you are truly stuck in the budget domain, that setup will absolutely get MURDERED by a mirrorless for the same dough.  Not even in the same ball park.

Yup

2 hours ago, MKader17 said:

After a quick look I could find a 40d and a 50mm 1.4 for $453 shipped in great condition condition. Would that not be a good starting point?

Also, the difference I'm seeing in 60d to 70d is huge; like nearly double the price.

I shoot magazine covered shots even with a crop with my 6D.

It's full frame and has the lowest EV focus you could get at the time without going Sony etc etc.

9 hours ago, MKader17 said:

There is no 80d yet, so the 70d is not priced logically for a used purchase.  Great camera though and worth it new WHEN it was new.  I've had mine for nearly 2 years and paid less than what they go for new now and not much different from the used price.

Camera gear that is 1 yr old doesn't depreciate (unless it is a kit piece).  Need to source some a few years back.

$453 is a bit steep only because you are paying for a new 1.4 and a used 40d.  Hard to find used 1.4 though as most have a really hard time upgrading to the 1.2

Zoning permit acquired!

20% down on the building!

Monday I go get the building and code permit!

Then I hope to be 4 weeks out from construction!

Only 3 hours of sleep?  Pappa bear needs to nap some more.

47 minutes ago, nem said:

Zoning permit acquired!

Big news, congrats.

The 1.4 was used like new for $289. There was an excellent condition one for $278

The 40d was $164.

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere those are good prices for that equipment, why does combining them make it a steep deal?

The rebels don't seem to be as good as a similarly priced..

Will type more later

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Big news, congrats.

Thanks.

Just printed the the blue prints for the code officer!

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

The 1.4 was used like new for $289. There was an excellent condition one for $278

The 40d was $164.

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere those are good prices for that equipment, why does combining them make it a steep deal?

The rebels don't seem to be as good as a similarly priced..

Will type more later

Because i didnt carry the 1

Diaphragm took a dump on my Shindaiwa EB802 Leaf Blower.  Diaphragm is $7+shipping.  Not sure if I need something else besides gaskets.

Thanks to China, complete carbs (all made in China) are from $8.50 to $40.  Difference being that someone local bought 100 of them from China and are now selling in CA or whever.  (new SD $60)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-for-Shindaiwa-EB802-EB802RT-Carb-A021003240-/381289050323

My guess is also that is probably the factory carb...and if not probably doesn't matter.  I am not nutso to just buy the <$9 carb, no?

19 hours ago, nem said:

Zoning permit acquired!

Kick ass, dude!

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Diaphragm took a dump on my Shindaiwa EB802 Leaf Blower.  Diaphragm is $7+shipping.  Not sure if I need something else besides gaskets.

Thanks to China, complete carbs (all made in China) are from $8.50 to $40.  Difference being that someone local bought 100 of them from China and are now selling in CA or whever.  (new SD $60)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-for-Shindaiwa-EB802-EB802RT-Carb-A021003240-/381289050323

My guess is also that is probably the factory carb...and if not probably doesn't matter.  I am not nutso to just buy the <$9 carb, no?

Looks like a Walbro carb. Honestly there is not much to these little 2 stroke carbs. I wouldn't be afraid to buy the $9 unit. You can generally grab one brand new, rebadged, from the component manufacturer for $20. You know they mark it up before they sell it, too.

2 hours ago, sandt38 said:

Looks like a Walbro carb. Honestly there is not much to these little 2 stroke carbs. I wouldn't be afraid to buy the $9 unit. You can generally grab one brand new, rebadged, from the component manufacturer for $20. You know they mark it up before they sell it, too.

I bought one of those from Sears for a weed wacker 2 years ago for $12. They can be a bugger to rebuild and get working. Not sure if you already checked there.

Yay Friday.

31 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Yay Friday.

My Sunday and I'm heading into work.

:-(

Just now, dem beats said:

My Sunday and I'm heading into work.

:-(

Oh poop.

20 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Because i didnt carry the 1

Like $453 (total) - $329 (new 50/1.4) = $224?

On 5/5/2016 at 9:55 AM, nem said:

Zoning permit acquired!

This for your garage or the gun shop?