Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

On 1/17/2013 at 1:44 PM, Godsmack said:

BTW 1994 Taurus SHO............opinions on them?

J

I've had 4 of them.  Okay not 94 but Yammy 6 SHO's.  Last one I had was retarded running lots of boost.  I love them.  The automatic isn't an option imo

2 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Congrats on the house.

Times a shitload!!!

On 1/24/2017 at 9:36 PM, ///M5 said:

J - it is irrelevant if you have made your choice.  

That being said I literally went in and shot Fuji & Nikon before buying the 70-200.  I figure spending that much on a lens wouldn't cost me all that much to completely change platforms. (replacement - selling mine of course)  So I tried with mostly open eyes.  I say mostly as I wasn't as eager to swap to Nikon as Fuji, but I was surely eager to not own the Canon 70-200.  It is FUCKING HUGE.  That sucks.  That suck is the only suck it has though, the rest is somewhat magic.

What year was that? Again I only ask because of the differences in the models. I do give kudos to the open eyes.

On 1/24/2017 at 10:24 PM, dem beats said:

J the comment about it not being actually 70-200 was from an OXO mark rating for true mm.  

That was more me digging at their quality control.  A low dismissive comment so, my bad for that.  Sean is right its more the magic of using it.  It could have a worse focal length issue amd it would still be better.  I also tried the whold trio and mirrorless.

No 'my bad'. It's your opinion. You are welcome to it. No matter how wrong you may be LOL

On 1/24/2017 at 10:31 PM, MKader17 said:

Photography in the Round Table

Can a non RTMS guy get some copies in the inbox?

J

On 1/25/2017 at 9:54 AM, MKader17 said:

I know :)

I am transient atm though so all my focus is on learning HVAC.  Fucking incompetent professionals.  ROFL

J - this was maybe 3 months ago.  I can't remember when I finally bought the 70-200, but it was after Canon release their new mirrorless camera which was pretty recent.

On 1/26/2017 at 3:14 AM, Adrian_D said:

Effective yesterday I have become a home-owner. I made the downpayment and signed the contract for a 2 bedroom apartment, close to down-town. Once all the paperwork is finished I have to get furniture, appliances etc and then rent it out. 

It was all about location-location-location, better location, higher rent. 

But I'm so beat after these two weeks of running around for paperwork, negotiations, lawyer, contracts. Bleh. Ski week starts Saturday. 

Adrian, you are always killing it. Are you buying a house just for rental income?

Aren't you an entrepreneur here as well?

On 1/26/2017 at 10:11 AM, Adrian_D said:

I'm ready. It's been almost two months of constant ass degrees below freezing. Except that Saturday when I worked with Vlad on his Miata. It felt like I was at the tropics. 

Don't make me throw stones at you, you're close, so I have a chance of being on target :P

Take a break, switch it up. I can no longer drink home-brew wine, had a period when I couldn't drink beer either. 

Come see me ;)!

On 1/27/2017 at 11:01 AM, ///M5 said:

J - this was maybe 3 months ago.  I can't remember when I finally bought the 70-200, but it was after Canon release their new mirrorless camera which was pretty recent.

Ahhh. I only ask because the VRI is not as sharp or well made as the VRII. The VRIII is a minimal improvement on sharpness with a drastic reduction in useability. 

Again I've only had limited use with Canon, and I can't say they make a bad product, I just prefer Nikon.

J

On 1/26/2017 at 1:38 PM, ///M5 said:

I've had 4 of them.  Okay not 94 but Yammy 6 SHO's.  Last one I had was retarded running lots of boost.  I love them.  The automatic isn't an option imo

Replying to a 4 year old post?

J

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Replying to a 4 year old post?

J

It showed up when I clicked lol

Finally, after being two years past my upgrade (meaning having the same phone for 4), finally got the V20.  Haven't really messed with it yet.

4 yr old phone would kill me.  After 1 year I am sick.

10 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

4 yr old phone would kill me.  After 1 year I am sick.

I have my old phone now as full time BONIC crunching.  Actually, if anyone has an old android they are not using and wouldn't mind donating to a good cause, I will keep it busy. ;)

When it is snowing, the best place to be is in the garage!

I need to find me a good lens for the a7ii .... sad that there isn't anything but "sports" quality lenses which you can't walk around with or only primes which I've found annoying to walk around with

Sony has the same needs as others for what works.

50mm 1.4 for interior, low light and generally most of your pictures

70-200 2.8 for long range and low light shots where you need speed

16-50 2.8 for "walk around".  Jack of all trades and master of none.  Wide enough to stop out to f11 and shoot landscapes and narrow enough to almost do portraits at 50mm 2.8, but not ideal for either.  Due to this I personally use an 11-16 2.8 Tokina for landscape and the 50mm for everything else.  When being artistic I sometimes carry the 17-55...but I hate it.  Much prefer primes.

3 hours ago, nem said:

When it is snowing, the best place to be is in the garage!

Very jealous.  Any new garage upgrades lately?

2 hours ago, Shogen said:

I need to find me a good lens for the a7ii .... sad that there isn't anything but "sports" quality lenses which you can't walk around with or only primes which I've found annoying to walk around with

On my a57 I don't go anywhere without my 18-135 3.5-5.6, its a really great all around lens that performs well in most categories it makes for a very nice daily lens IMO.

42 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Very jealous.  Any new garage upgrades lately?

Nothing new yet.

Just working on the 4runner. Painted the calipers and rotors.

IMAG0733.jpg

10 minutes ago, nem said:

Nothing new yet.

Just working on the 4runner. Painted the calipers and rotors.

IMAG0733.jpg

Very nice.  I need to do that on theIS.  New stop techs put on.

I know what you're saying there as far as compromise with a "walk-around" lens.. I think I want to force myself to get used to using the primes as I know how amazing quality can be especially now that I am on a full frame camera finally.

Currently with the camera I picked up a 28mm f/2 which Sony sells an add-on that allows me to go either 16mm or 21mm obviously 21mm isn't a huge difference so I ordered the 16mm adapter. 

Julian on my a77ii I was using the Zeiss 16-80 almost daily which had me spoiled for range but wasn't fast enough in all situations. On full frame lenses just are more expensive which I knew going in but I'll have to learn the camera with the 28mm for now. And maybe get a nice 14mm or go longer and get something in the 70-90mm range for insane sharpness when needed. 

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Sony has the same needs as others for what works.

50mm 1.4 for interior, low light and generally most of your pictures

70-200 2.8 for long range and low light shots where you need speed

16-50 2.8 for "walk around".  Jack of all trades and master of none.  Wide enough to stop out to f11 and shoot landscapes and narrow enough to almost do portraits at 50mm 2.8, but not ideal for either.  Due to this I personally use an 11-16 2.8 Tokina for landscape and the 50mm for everything else.  When being artistic I sometimes carry the 17-55...but I hate it.  Much prefer primes.

1 hour ago, Julian said:

On my a57 I don't go anywhere without my 18-135 3.5-5.6, its a really great all around lens that performs well in most categories it makes for a very nice daily lens IMO.

2 hours ago, Julian said:

It works at 18mm f11 for everything else it is pretty useless.  No bokeh, way too deep DOF, and just isn't very sharp.  If walk around means shooting buildings and such fine, but then just use something wider that is less of an optical mess.

17 minutes ago, Shogen said:

Julian on my a77ii I was using the Zeiss 16-80 almost daily which had me spoiled for range but wasn't fast enough in all situations. 

At 80mm you NEED fast.  80mm and deep focus is pointless.  I see no value in that lens either.

The caveat to both my last two statements is that I have a good landscape/wide lens and a faster zoom so I wouldn't ever put either of those on my camera.  Even the fast zoom change doesn't buy me anything as I'd end up deleting nearly 90% of the pictures I take instead of 10%.   A real lens makes a HUGE difference.

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

At 80mm you NEED fast.  80mm and deep focus is pointless.  I see no value in that lens either.

I know I know... I learned that lesson with that camera setup but I usually only have that lens on for day shooting... zoo, aquarium, day-hike, so I didn't need to have much else besides a telephoto with me.

I want to accomplish similar but I don't mind having to carrying one or 2 extra lenses since the size/weight reduction with the mirrorless camera. 

For now I just need to get more creative and learn the functions within this camera and setup the shortcuts to make my everyday shooting a bit more convenient than digging around the menu.