Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Glad you said something, I would have missed the pr0n

I know :)

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

2 more furnace companies today and then I get to buy a car I never see :(

At least the last one actually sent an Engineer.  Finally feel like I know something and can trust we are okay.

I feel ya,

I know my AC pipes are not designed right for the house. I really want to get someone out that knows HVAC design to get it optimized correctly.

Need a nap.

5 hours ago, MKader17 said:

I know :)

I am transient atm though so all my focus is on learning HVAC.  Fucking incompetent professionals.  ROFL

5 hours ago, MKader17 said:

I feel ya,

I know my AC pipes are not designed right for the house. I really want to get someone out that knows HVAC design to get it optimized correctly.

Pipes?  Forced air part is so much more tricky than sizing the compressor and running it.  Amusingly my compressor lines are too small for a 4 ton and my house size screams for it all.

My biggest concern now is 2 stage or modulated.  Modulating saves me a lot of zoning headaches but potentially at long term expense in repairs.  I just don't trust modulating gas valves.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Pipes?  Forced air part is so much more tricky than sizing the compressor and running it.  Amusingly my compressor lines are too small for a 4 ton and my house size screams for it all.

My biggest concern now is 2 stage or modulated.  Modulating saves me a lot of zoning headaches but potentially at long term expense in repairs.  I just don't trust modulating gas valves.

I would look into some type of split systems for that large an area.   You require multiple zones and a way to control each one.  On the other hand, if your ducting is sized and routed properly, they now make wifi-enabled register that are programmable and can be constantly and consistently be monitored and/or changed.  Easiest and most efficient way to zone.  

Why fear modulating gas valves?  They're quite simple and include safeties, so it's really a non-issue.

Also, it is VERY difficult to find a professional that trust understands designing and applying a system properly.  The vast majority of people will not invest the money or sacrifice space or aestetics in lieu of proper design so it's simply not something most pros are trained in.  

2 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I would look into some type of split systems for that large an area.   You require multiple zones and a way to control each one.  On the other hand, if your ducting is sized and routed properly, they now make wifi-enabled register that are programmable and can be constantly and consistently be monitored and/or changed.  Easiest and most efficient way to zone.  

Why fear modulating gas valves?  They're quite simple and include safeties, so it's really a non-issue.

I have an early two stage furnace and it fails once a year...I don't want an early modulating furnace.  Just scared of new tech.  Akin to direct injection in a car

Modulation is nothing new.  Of course, all my experience is commercial, so I'm sure there are differences I don't see between that and home.

2 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

This will replace my wood pellet stove in the coming years (possibly 2 years) I will keep my oil boiler as a back up.

My neighbor installs these units and I have been lucky enough to help him on a couple jobs. Very easy and clean install.

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/products

Finally getting back to the normal work schedule. I forgot how much I don't like waking up early and working with daylight people (grumpy, lazy, and entitled). These past 3 weeks reminded me why I enjoy my night world so much.

3 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Also, it is VERY difficult to find a professional that trust understands designing and applying a system properly.  The vast majority of people will not invest the money or sacrifice space or aestetics in lieu of proper design so it's simply not something most pros are trained in.  

Then they aren't pros.  After 3 days of research I know more than most of them

44 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

Modulation is nothing new.  Of course, all my experience is commercial, so I'm sure there are differences I don't see between that and home.

Modulating zones you can have in commercial in residential it is only modulating gas nozzles and variable speed fans

Can't say I've ever seen modulating nozzles.  Everything I've seen has modulated one burner with several nozzles.  It's either low, medium, high fire, while some newer controllers and continuously variable.

If you get into boilers, the options are almost limitless.

I just watched a Nova episode on the salvage of the Costa Concordia.  Amazing engineering feat!

5 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I have an early two stage furnace and it fails once a year...I don't want an early modulating furnace.  Just scared of new tech.  Akin to direct injection in a car

1 hour ago, Tirefryr said:

Can't say I've ever seen modulating nozzles.  Everything I've seen has modulated one burner with several nozzles.  It's either low, medium, high fire, while some newer controllers and continuously variable.

If you get into boilers, the options are almost limitless.

That is a multistage, modulating is completely variable ie 64 steps

On 1/17/2017 at 10:26 PM, Aaron Clinton said:

Is it spring yet?

I'm ready. It's been almost two months of constant ass degrees below freezing. Except that Saturday when I worked with Vlad on his Miata. It felt like I was at the tropics. 

On 1/21/2017 at 6:06 PM, Julian said:

Currently sitting comfortably in the 60's here in Tunis.

97mJNxA.jpg

Don't make me throw stones at you, you're close, so I have a chance of being on target :P

On 1/24/2017 at 0:32 AM, Tirefryr said:

I can't drink any longer.  Even beer is just no longer good to me.

Take a break, switch it up. I can no longer drink home-brew wine, had a period when I couldn't drink beer either. 

Effective yesterday I have become a home-owner. I made the downpayment and signed the contract for a 2 bedroom apartment, close to down-town. Once all the paperwork is finished I have to get furniture, appliances etc and then rent it out. 

It was all about location-location-location, better location, higher rent. 

But I'm so beat after these two weeks of running around for paperwork, negotiations, lawyer, contracts. Bleh. Ski week starts Saturday. 

I'm beginning to like commuting to work by bike in this ridiculous cold.

4 hours ago, Adrian_D said:

Effective yesterday I have become a home-owner. I made the downpayment and signed the contract for a 2 bedroom apartment, close to down-town. Once all the paperwork is finished I have to get furniture, appliances etc and then rent it out. 

It was all about location-location-location, better location, higher rent. 

But I'm so beat after these two weeks of running around for paperwork, negotiations, lawyer, contracts. Bleh. Ski week starts Saturday. 

Congrats! :woot:

Congrats on the house.