Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

No matter what your choice I'd be interested in adding some superfeet or custom insoles. I don't in all my shoes, but all the ones I am going to walk a lot in. Well worth the $50.

I've NEVER seen an athletic shoe with good arch support. I don't mean in the store, I mean in real life. I can break those down in a couple good walks.

I really need some new dress shoes. These SOBs are showing too much life.

My dress shoes I am probably the most picky about. Almost exclusively leather soles. Even in winter I usually wear leather soles. My feet are super wide so I have to buy shoes that will tolerate stress on the sides, and they need to be reasonably comfortable.

Slip on, whenever possible is nice too.

You scream for Allen Edmonds and rebuilding.

Never seen a pair. I think you mentioned them to me before.... I should look them up.

smile.png

I hate seeing tread on a dress shoe. It annoys the hell out of me. One or 2 rubber soles my whole dress shoe life.

Me too, although I have put on ultra skinny ones to save some shoes. Need to do it before the leather gets too soft and then the bottoms last forever. Any shoe repair place can do it. Talking 2mm or so with some traction. Can't see it, I don't like how they feel walking as much, but they seriously save your shoes in the winter.

I didn't even know that was done anywhere.... It seems obvious now that you mention it, but I never even looked for it.

Thanks!

http://www.backcountry.com/lowa-banff-pro-backpacking-boot-mens

These are my outside work boots. Damn they are awesome.

I love them so much I don't like to wear them as much as I should. I want them to last forever.

Those are DYING for insoles if you haven't. In particular considering your body type IMO.

AMusingly I have nearly their twin. Mine are the all leather, no inside hiking boot variant of them. No goretex for my sweaty feet. No way, no how. Sure they "breath" but nowhere near enough. If they start making ones out of eVent I'll try, but until something that is waterproof and breathes as well as that I'm out.

I've also done 15mi days with over 100lbs of gear wearing those. Part of the gear being a 18'6" canoe. Worst was 6 days in a row like that with 6 pairs of socks. No blisters, no soreness, just fatigue. Days like that a nice camp shoe feels heavenly at the end of it though.

Keen's make great everyday shoes. Their steel toes are super nice if needed as well. I have a crossover pair of Keen's I wear when traveling. Look like dress shoes almost on the outside and walk like hiking shoes, albeit with not enough lacing. Can't have perfect support in dress looking shoe....or at least I haven't seen it.

Here is the twin

best-hiking-boots-lowa.jpg

Isn't that what I linked..... I have these exact boots. I purchased them based on the fact they are 100% leather inside...

I really need some new dress shoes. These SOBs are showing too much life.

My dress shoes I am probably the most picky about. Almost exclusively leather soles. Even in winter I usually wear leather soles. My feet are super wide so I have to buy shoes that will tolerate stress on the sides, and they need to be reasonably comfortable.

Slip on, whenever possible is nice too.

You scream for Allen Edmonds and rebuilding.
Never seen a pair. I think you mentioned them to me before.... I should look them up.

smile.png

I hate seeing tread on a dress shoe. It annoys the hell out of me. One or 2 rubber soles my whole dress shoe life.

Me too, although I have put on ultra skinny ones to save some shoes. Need to do it before the leather gets too soft and then the bottoms last forever. Any shoe repair place can do it. Talking 2mm or so with some traction. Can't see it, I don't like how they feel walking as much, but they seriously save your shoes in the winter.
I didn't even know that was done anywhere.... It seems obvious now that you mention it, but I never even looked for it.

Thanks!

$20 or so too. WAY pays for itself.

I'd post pics, but I've sold all my "treated" shoes as I don't dress up in the winter anymore. Really only do when I travel and I've found that I rarely ever see slush in those cases.

That and I can't find a pair of shoes worth doing it to. Sucks to have a foot that no one makes shoes for. Allen's are an option, but I like the super aggressive Italian type shoes not the American dress shoes.

No matter what your choice I'd be interested in adding some superfeet or custom insoles. I don't in all my shoes, but all the ones I am going to walk a lot in. Well worth the $50.

I've NEVER seen an athletic shoe with good arch support. I don't mean in the store, I mean in real life. I can break those down in a couple good walks.

I do like this idea

That and I can't find a pair of shoes worth doing it to. Sucks to have a foot that no one makes shoes for. Allen's are an option, but I like the super aggressive Italian type shoes not the American dress shoes.

Those styles rarely fit my feet because of how wide mine are.

Here is the twin

best-hiking-boots-lowa.jpg

Isn't that what I linked..... I have these exact boots. I purchased them based on the fact they are 100% leather inside...
Ha, no. They made it in goretex as well. Same boot, just a permeable layer for those non-sweaty. Basically the same smile.png

I do like this idea
Arch support comes from the sole though. A good insert can build on it, but if your soul is soft you are lost.

Those styles rarely fit my feet because of how wide mine are.
I know. AE's will be right up your alley. Sort of 50 yr old successful lawyer/banker but ones that fit wide feet and ALL parts are rebuildable.

But, you'll burn through 4 $75 pairs in the same time period that these last. Something like 7mm of leather on the sole.

Any handloaders in here?

Not yet. Lots of buddies load. Mostly pistol though. You are looking at rifle info I bet.

What info are you looking for?

Interested in annealing. Wanting to know what units are working well.

Not sure what you mean by everyday shoes. I wear dress shoes, sandals or hiking shoes. That is what I'd call everday...but obviously not everyone would agree. Ryan only wears boots. Crazy fuck.

Something like these white ones here http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:188595/sku:54886100/nike-air-max-+-2013-mens/white/wolf-grey/&SID=7726&inceptor=1&cm_mmc=SEM-_-PLA-_-Google-_-54886100

Those will make terrible everyday shoes...at least bang for the buck. WAY too soft. Some support is seriously necessary if you don't want to whack out your body. If it has to be an "athletic" shoe at least make it a trail running/walking instead of indoor.

To put things in perspective, my buddy runs. He ONLY wears his shoes for running. Still burns through between 14-20 pairs / year. Only 150lbs as well.

I stretched 2 pair of $200 asics kayanos to last 6 months. Purchased them every 6 months, sometimes sooner. And they were shot. In the winter when I ran inside only, they would look new, but they were fucked.

If I got any other pairs I would go through them in a couple months. Maybe use them for lifting weights for a while... But athletic shoes are shit for anything but athletics, and they are pure consumables.

My running was 3 miles 3 times a week. I was about 250 - 265. That was only 70 min of running a week, and those fuckers were toast in 6 months for 2 pair.

How does one go through a $200 pair of shoes that quickly? I wear a cheap $50 set of New Balance to work everyday. I usually get a year out of a pair, and I assure you the hell they go through in a shop is far worse than what anyone except for a runner or hiker will put their shoes through.

Oh yeah, inserts are key. I like Superfeet blacks.

Hours standing are tough, but not as tough as walking. I do very poorly at sitting still.

Obviously anything on a hard surface is tough. Support is key.

Any handloaders in here?

Not yet. Lots of buddies load. Mostly pistol though. You are looking at rifle info I bet.

Not sure what you mean by everyday shoes. I wear dress shoes, sandals or hiking shoes. That is what I'd call everday...but obviously not everyone would agree. Ryan only wears boots. Crazy fuck.

Something like these white ones here http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:188595/sku:54886100/nike-air-max-+-2013-mens/white/wolf-grey/&SID=7726&inceptor=1&cm_mmc=SEM-_-PLA-_-Google-_-54886100
Those will make terrible everyday shoes...at least bang for the buck. WAY too soft. Some support is seriously necessary if you don't want to whack out your body. If it has to be an "athletic" shoe at least make it a trail running/walking instead of indoor.

To put things in perspective, my buddy runs. He ONLY wears his shoes for running. Still burns through between 14-20 pairs / year. Only 150lbs as well.

I stretched 2 pair of $200 asics kayanos to last 6 months. Purchased them every 6 months, sometimes sooner. And they were shot. In the winter when I ran inside only, they would look new, but they were fucked.

If I got any other pairs I would go through them in a couple months. Maybe use them for lifting weights for a while... But athletic shoes are shit for anything but athletics, and they are pure consumables.

My running was 3 miles 3 times a week. I was about 250 - 265. That was only 70 min of running a week, and those fuckers were toast in 6 months for 2 pair.

How does one go through a $200 pair of shoes that quickly? I wear a cheap $50 set of New Balance to work everyday. I usually get a year out of a pair, and I assure you the hell they go through in a shop is far worse than what anyone except for a runner or hiker will put their shoes through.

He has a few pounds on you. Bottom of the shoe is a spring. His influence on hooke's law is a bit more than yours or mine.

As for my colleague, he runs 8 miles a day. 150 miles and shoes are shot completely.

Hours standing are tough, but not as tough as walking. I do very poorly at sitting still.

Any handloaders in here?

He has a few pounds on you. Bottom of the shoe is a spring. His influence on hooke's law is a bit more than yours or mine.

As for my colleague, he runs 8 miles a day. 150 miles and shoes are shot completely.

I don't stand still much, and my shoes spend 11-12 hours a day in chemicals. Matt may have a few pounds on me, but I am certain his shoes do not take near the punishment that mine do on concrete, gravel lots, and floors covered in oils, solvents, and cleaners.

I can believe a runner eating them up. I don't question that. I used to love trail running and went through a lot of high dollar trail runners, even with insoles. The impact load of running will break down a shoe (from sole, to stitching, to material breakdown) quite quickly.

But for daily wear, as long as your shoes fit properly a $200 pair of shoes had better last.

Chemicals will fuck anything.

Agree that a $200 pair of shoes should last. Matt was referring to not an everyday shoe smile.png