Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

It takes about 150,000 flowers to produce a single pound of saffron thread, and every single thread must be plucked from the flower by hand.

Why can't we cultivate it? Seriously.

Corn had to be shucked by hand at one point.

Well, if you can make that machine you'd be rich enough to buy all the premium ham you'd want

If stoners can make pot with 4000% more THC than the regular crap why can't we grow fancy mushrooms en masse

Well, if you can make that machine you'd be rich enough to buy all the premium ham you'd want

I'm gonna think on it.

If stoners can make pot with 4000% more THC than the regular crap why can't we grow fancy mushrooms en masse

There is a few companies doing such. I'm guessing it isn't being done a lot because the start up costs would be fairly high for all the land, and you don't get any return on investment for at least five years or so until the fungi has grown.

Because greed, Matt. prices are driven by greed

I'm greedy too. So we should go into business and grow this shit at 2/3 the price, shit 1/3 the price if I can and then get purchased put by some big Fucking company and sit like a king for ever.
im down, lets fatten some hogs. we'll get some illegal aliens, pay them pennies per day to rake people lawns that have acorn trees, gather up all tye acorns and fatten some hogs. done deal!

Got to make sure the pigs have enough acreage to roam about freely, also.

Who needs acreage? That's too expensive, we need to put them on cheap walmart treadmills powered by more illegal aliens riding exercise bikes.

No need for that. Stack the hog pins on top of each other. The hogs on bottom will eat the shit and you save on feed. You don't want them to roam either. That just burns energy you want them confined as possible.

Though that could work I don't think you could get the same flavor out of the hogs near the bottom. Remember, we want quality and a decent price wink.png

Never heard of a pig toilet?

What about truffles? Why can't we duplicate those conditions?

Truffles fall under the frivolous bullshit tag along with Italian marble.

All natural stone used for decorative purposes does too, for that matter

http://www.plexapp.com/

anyone try this plex media server thing out? 

Yes. I use it with my Roku. It is a serious pain in the ass to set up, requires devices to be on the same router, and it is far more limited then I had hoped for. If you have a device like Roku or GoogleTV I suggest you try it with the free app for your computer to link it to your device. Don't pay for your phones or other wi-fi devices until you try it.

As far as I am concerned, it is pretty close to worthless. It doesn't like to communicate with my server on my home network. I have to link the server to my laptop to get it to communicate. It is one of the, if not the least used channel on my Roku.

http://www.plexapp.com/

anyone try this plex media server thing out?

Yes. I use it with my Roku. It is a serious pain in the ass to set up, requires devices to be on the same router, and it is far more limited then I had hoped for. If you have a device like Roku or GoogleTV I suggest you try it with the free app for your computer to link it to your device. Don't pay for your phones or other wi-fi devices until you try it.

As far as I am concerned, it is pretty close to worthless. It doesn't like to communicate with my server on my home network. I have to link the server to my laptop to get it to communicate. It is one of the, if not the least used channel on my Roku.

My friend who lives two states away uses it and he gave me his password. I can watch any movie he has off my Roku. Plan on watching The Hobbit tonight.

Have any of you guys tried Iberian ham?

I guess it's a Spanish breed that only eats accorns. It ends up high in healthy fat. I love Serrano ham and might give it a shot

60 bucks a pound for ham is a bit rich though...

Haven't had Iberian, but I've eaten a bunch of Iberico

*wouldn't bother with the ham, but almost any other part is worth it.

I'm so confused how we haven't found a way to produce luxury food items for a lower cost and more sustainable.

We seriously can't farm truffles in a warehouse? It's really cheeper to hunt for them? I'm bewildered.

Same with saffron. We can't duplicate the mountain conditions to make it easier?

It might be harder to manipulate the same flavor from a certain breed of animal, but can't we even try and come close in the US and make the prices a bit more reasonable for salum.

Fawk

They are now finally farming morels so perhaps there is a light.

For example, you can buy "fine Italian marble tile" for your floors. Sure It's really soft and extremely porous; all you have to do is stare at it hard enough and it will stain, ding, scuff, or chip. Sure, there is commercial grade porcelain tile that looks exactly like the "fine Italian marble", is tough as nails, is 99.9% nonporous, and costs 90% less. But you wouldn't have fine Italian marble in your house, now would you?!?!?!!

Yeah, you are right. I wouldn't have it in my house as I am not so superficial that I'd pay for it.

Because greed, Matt. prices are driven by greed

I'm greedy too. So we should go into business and grow this shit at 2/3 the price, shit 1/3 the price if I can and then get purchased put by some big Fucking company and sit like a king for ever.
im down, lets fatten some hogs. we'll get some illegal aliens, pay them pennies per day to rake people lawns that have acorn trees, gather up all tye acorns and fatten some hogs. done deal!
I could feed a farmfull with the acorns that hit my yard. Almost done thank god. Getting sick of hail sounds every night for hours.

There is a few companies doing such. I'm guessing it isn't being done a lot because the start up costs would be fairly high for all the land, and you don't get any return on investment for at least five years or so until the fungi has grown.

Seems like. Good investment though. Like small batch fancy bourbon. Takes 5-10 years to see a return from aging, but then the checks roll in.

I'm so confused how we haven't found a way to produce luxury food items for a lower cost and more sustainable.

We seriously can't farm truffles in a warehouse? It's really cheeper to hunt for them? I'm bewildered.

Same with saffron. We can't duplicate the mountain conditions to make it easier?

It might be harder to manipulate the same flavor from a certain breed of animal, but can't we even try and come close in the US and make the prices a bit more reasonable for salum.

Fawk

They are now finally farming morels so perhaps there is a light.

Those too. Morels grow super Fucking fast.

I remember one fall.... Or maybe spring.... my yard in N Mpls was just littered with them. 40+ just showed up after one rainy week. Only happened the one time. I was a kid and didnt know what a prize it was. It was the first time I enjoyed a mushroom of any kind however.

We usually go pick them for gram to cook.

Have any of you guys tried Iberian ham?

I guess it's a Spanish breed that only eats accorns. It ends up high in healthy fat. I love Serrano ham and might give it a shot

60 bucks a pound for ham is a bit rich though...

Haven't had Iberian, but I've eaten a bunch of Iberico

*wouldn't bother with the ham, but almost any other part is worth it.

Did I get the name wrong? I love all those exotic hams. I bet the whole pig is yummy if it's fatty and high in the HDL rich fats.

I picked up a half pound of serrano, a ring of blood sausage and Ukrainian after my grandpa's funeral. He was the onlyone who ate blood sausage with me. It was kind of cool because his nephew showed up at the deli too.

I don't understand the use of marble period, unless it's completely for decorative reasons and not a wear surface.

Granite everything.

When I was a kid my mom would buy these mushroom growing kits. It had a medium and you would apply spores from a sealed syringe. Hundreds of mushrooms would grow, for a good 3+ harvestings. Each harvest with larger but fewer mushrooms.

I was Pissed as fuck when I couldn't find a kit like that for morels now that I am grown.

We usually go pick them for gram to cook.

I used them in sauces mostly now. Sometimes just sauteed. But having them reasonably priced and a good supply would mean I eat a LOT more.

I don't understand the use of marble period, unless it's completely for decorative reasons and not a wear surface.

Granite everything.

Even granite is inferior to engineered stone.