Sign in to follow this  
Chris1309ny

Hey guys new here...

Hi guys just wanted to introduce myself to the forum as I am new here. My name is Chris and live on Long Island and I am 25 years old and have been into car audio for about ten years now. I went to school for tech school for Automotve Aftermarket Accessories for 2 years when I was in 11th and 12 grade and became a Mobile Electronics Certified Professional Bronze Level. That has since expired and countless stereo systems later I now have 2 Alpine Type Rs 1242d 12s on a Hifonics Brutus 1200d Monoblock (at 1 ohm) in a box that is 2.25 cubic feet per chamber and tuned to 45 hertz (ported). I am running 1/0 gauge wire with a Kinetik HC1800 under the hood of a 2001 Ford Windstar Minivan. Needless to say I am the only one ever driving in it so I have plenty of space.

I have heard many systems including some competition level but never have heard any Fi subwoofers so after countless hours of research I have come to find I want to buy a pair of these sort of as a sample to my van build. I would like to start with buying a pair of 12 inch subwoofers for the box I listed above but keep them within my price budget. Then if I like them I plan to buy a few 18s after money is better. As of now I probably have about 600 to spend on the subwoofers so I was looking into the Fi BL Series 12. Mind you I like SQ but I would prefer SPL as a daily driver. One of my questions would be if the subwoofers would sound ok in a 2.25 per chamber tuned to 45 hertz ported?

Anyway like I said Im excited after reading multiple topics here and spending some time lounging. Any insight on anything would be appreciated and if anyone has any questions on how other speakers sound I am quite knowledgeable but other than that I would like to say thanks for everyone letting me join here! -CHRIS

:WELCOME: to the forum and nice intro, lots of information.

The BL's are great subs, no doubt, but if you're just wanting to sample the Fi expreience you could save yourself a good bit of money and get something a little more comparable in the X series. They're closer to the Type R power handling and are plenty capable, however even the Type R's can do more for you if you were to build another enclosure and lower the tuning. IMHO 45hz is just too high to listen to music on daily and expect great results. Because of that I don't think a direct swap from the Type R's to ANY of the Fi subs will be all that impressive of a difference.

I think before you spend a cent on any other subs you should definitely consider another enclosure. The 2.25cuft volume per is just fine, get that tuning down to 35hz or lower and see what you think of the Type R's in an enclosure like that. Then if you'd still like to try out some Fi subs go for it, and the enclosure will be better suited to them as well. We can help with the enclosure design as well if you need it.

welcome sir!!!

:WELCOME:

WELCOME.gif to the forum and nice intro, lots of information.

The BL's are great subs, no doubt, but if you're just wanting to sample the Fi expreience you could save yourself a good bit of money and get something a little more comparable in the X series. They're closer to the Type R power handling and are plenty capable, however even the Type R's can do more for you if you were to build another enclosure and lower the tuning. IMHO 45hz is just too high to listen to music on daily and expect great results. Because of that I don't think a direct swap from the Type R's to ANY of the Fi subs will be all that impressive of a difference.

I think before you spend a cent on any other subs you should definitely consider another enclosure. The 2.25cuft volume per is just fine, get that tuning down to 35hz or lower and see what you think of the Type R's in an enclosure like that. Then if you'd still like to try out some Fi subs go for it, and the enclosure will be better suited to them as well. We can help with the enclosure design as well if you need it.

Hey Alton thanks a lot for the warm welcome and all the useful information you have just given me. As far as the X series I honestly was going to chose these subs but after research I was finding out that the FI BL series brings a little bit more sq and spl to the table. However this was only by word not by ear so I'm not sure how true this is. On another note the box I have been refering to is basically a prefab fart box but I would deffinelty like to build my first enclosure. I have seen it done and have also helped with one the only problem I have is the enclosure design, dimensions, and specs like you had previously mentioned. I'm just not sure how tuning the box works and how big to cut the wood etc. Other than that I am quite capable of building my own so any other insight you have on this is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I was looking to tune as low was 32 hertz if that would sound ok?

ALSO A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS RESPONDED HERE NICE TO MEET EVERYONE!

Welcome

Hey Alton thanks a lot for the warm welcome and all the useful information you have just given me. As far as the X series I honestly was going to chose these subs but after research I was finding out that the FI BL series brings a little bit more sq and spl to the table. However this was only by word not by ear so I'm not sure how true this is. On another note the box I have been refering to is basically a prefab fart box but I would deffinelty like to build my first enclosure. I have seen it done and have also helped with one the only problem I have is the enclosure design, dimensions, and specs like you had previously mentioned. I'm just not sure how tuning the box works and how big to cut the wood etc. Other than that I am quite capable of building my own so any other insight you have on this is greatly appreciated.

I don't know about more SQ but I'm sure the BL's would have more output per watt applied than the X's would, the question to ask yourself is whether or not that difference is worth the price difference.  Otherwise, yes 32hz tuning would be great.  As for the enclosure, if you can post up the maximum dimensions your enclosure can be to fit and other important information like the orientation of the sub and port (i.e. sub up, port back or sub and port back) and we'll get you a design made up that you can go build.

I don't know about more SQ but I'm sure the BL's would have more output per watt applied than the X's would, the question to ask yourself is whether or not that difference is worth the price difference.  Otherwise, yes 32hz tuning would be great.  As for the enclosure, if you can post up the maximum dimensions your enclosure can be to fit and other important information like the orientation of the sub and port (i.e. sub up, port back or sub and port back) and we'll get you a design made up that you can go build.

Hey Alton! So after going through some of my car audio "junk" I found another pair of type rs so now I plan on building a ported box with four (4) type rs now instead of two. I would like to have all 4 facing up with the port being in the easiest place to build or wherever you recommend. The box is going in a minvan so max dimensions should not be all that much of an issue because I can take seats out. However if you still need measurements I can get them tomorrow. Also I would like to tune them closer to 30 hertz if possible or whatever you suggest would give me better spl with them? Again thanks for all your help I am excited to build this box! -chris

Four Type R's?  That should get some air moving, lol.  Even though you got all the room you need to fit whatever you want, it would still be great to have some measurements.  If not for any other reason than to ensure it fits snug in it's location and looks like it belongs there.  If I designed one that was 75" wide by 10" deep by 30" tall it could technically fit in the van, but it wouldn't fit well, it wouldn't look good, and it wouldn't be real practical to use.  With some good measurements, even if it doesn't need the maximum measurement, will help make sure it looks like it belongs in the van at least.  

I don't think 30hz would be out of the question for tuning.  Tuning in the low 30's generally gives a pretty well rounded response and decent output which is why I believe it's about the most common range people tune to.  With four subs output shouldn't be much of an issue at all.  Making sure the enclosure has enough port area to keep from having port noise, keeping the subs loaded evenly, and other things of that issue are of more concern.  

Four Type R's?  That should get some air moving, lol.  Even though you got all the room you need to fit whatever you want, it would still be great to have some measurements.  If not for any other reason than to ensure it fits snug in it's location and looks like it belongs there.  If I designed one that was 75" wide by 10" deep by 30" tall it could technically fit in the van, but it wouldn't fit well, it wouldn't look good, and it wouldn't be real practical to use.  With some good measurements, even if it doesn't need the maximum measurement, will help make sure it looks like it belongs in the van at least.  

I don't think 30hz would be out of the question for tuning.  Tuning in the low 30's generally gives a pretty well rounded response and decent output which is why I believe it's about the most common range people tune to.  With four subs output shouldn't be much of an issue at all.  Making sure the enclosure has enough port area to keep from having port noise, keeping the subs loaded evenly, and other things of that issue are of more concern.  

Hey Alton thanks again for the response I just went out there and measured and here they are:

4' max length

4'2" max width

3'4" max height

Does anyone know of a better program than the RE box calculator? I really would like to start this box just need better direction. Help! Thanks guys -chris

:WELCOME:

Does anyone know of a better program than the RE box calculator? I really would like to start this box just need better direction. Help! Thanks guys -chris

Torres box calculator, Messaged you with a DL URL

Edited by DanP

Hey Alton thanks again for the response I just went out there and measured and here they are:

4' max length

4'2" max width

3'4" max height

I'm still trying to figure out how I missed this update, lol.

Do you have a preference on orientation?   Sub up, port back or subs and port rear, etc?

4' max length

4'2" max width

3'4" max height

I'm still trying to figure out how I missed this update, lol.

Do you have a preference on orientation?   Sub up, port back or subs and port rear, etc?

Hey Alton thanks for the response I was beginning to lose hope here haha. Anyway I would like the 4 subs up with the port on the back. Thanks again!

Hey welcome man! I use the Torres box calc. It's better and more accurate than the re one!