Sign in to follow this  
hatrix

Looking to stop some rattles, have no sound deadening yet (pictures/56

So I'm a complete newbie when it comes to sound deadening. I know of the materials used and such after reading on SDS and such years ago. I was recommended to just use CLD tiles when I queired don years ago, but as far as the process of applying it and using it properly I'm not very knowledgeable and have no experience. I've been running my SSD 18 for almost 4 years now without any sound deadening.

However, I'm looking for the cheapest solution to my problem. My system is in my signature. I just added the two new amps to my build, and my sub is receiving a lot more power. More power = louder = more rattles. It's very unfortunate, and my cars an 89' so it's pretty easy to make it rattle lol.

I'm supplying some pictures of my interior and my build so I can get recommendations on the easiest way to eliminate the rattles I have. There are really 2 main rattles I here, and both towards te back. I'll mention above the pictures where.

I have rattles that sound like they are coming from the area on the right side the window, where the plastic is. It might however be in the ceiling right above it, it's to hard to tell when I'm in the drivers seat listening. Picture below.

005yok.jpg

006dq.jpg

Not sure if it's necesarry, but this is what my doors look like. There's only every slight rattle in them. Much less audible compared to the back rattles. So it might not be in my budget to deaden either of them, though I know it would help a lot with the overall sound.

007rsq.jpg

008pui.jpg

009sex.jpg

Now, my back rattles MIGHT come from the back liftgate. My brand new rattle is very loud and very audible over my bass. It almost sounds like the sub is over excurting itself, that's how loud the rattle is, but I know it's not. Never got's hot or anything. I might be the window, but it sounds like it's something plastic. I very well could be the plastic on the liftgate. I wouldn't mind dampening the entire back gate below the upholstery or whatever. There are two speakers below those grills but they are stock and are disconnected. I'm going to take them out soon as they might cause rattling noise.

010ozb.jpg

This is the other area the back rattle might be coming from, the ceiling. My upholstry is falling apart, I know. It's an old car. The cover on the light fell above, no surprise. The rattle is either in the ceiling area where the light is, or is coming from the back liftgate. I can't tell for sure.

003yyg.jpg

002irr.jpg

001ngd.jpg

I'm trying to do this for as little money as possible. I'm sure everyone is lol, but really I don't know what to set my budget at as I have no clue would it would cost to get rid of the rattles. I don't have a ton to spend. So recommend me the cheapest solution to my problem, but don't go to cheap to where it might not solve my problem. I want to make sure I eliminate these rattles. Outside rattles, I don't care about so much, as I can't hear those from inside the cabin.

Edited by hatrix

I know my license plate holder makes the most rattles on my truck.

The ceiling moves but doesn't seem to make as much noise.

Easiest thing to do is turn on the system and go back their push on things until you find it/them..

I know my license plate holder makes the most rattles on my truck.

The ceiling moves but doesn't seem to make as much noise.

Easiest thing to do is turn on the system and go back their push on things until you find it/them..

Yea I know, I'm very aware they are coming from inside but when trying to go in the backseat and pinpoint them it's still to hard for me to tell... Mostly because I think it might be behind upholstry. I can't actually see anything rattling, just hear its general area. I don't believe it's my license plate, but I could be wrong.

I want to get some deadening done, as I have a TON of ride noise. My jeeps old lol, it's not sealed or sound dampened in the slightest from the factory. With the stereo off, ambient ride noise is pretty high. Even the rattles and squeeks that come from my backseat and plastic are annoying when the stereo is off.

Edited by hatrix

Best thing is to take trim panels and things out to deaden behind it and use foam and things to help absorb vibration.

Best thing is to take trim panels and things out to deaden behind it and use foam and things to help absorb vibration.

Thanks, I figured it would be something along those lines. What products specifically from SDS should I be looking at ?

Sorry for all the questions trippy.gif

Edited by hatrix

While doing deadening everywhere is ideal, it is budgetarily difficult without doing a little at a time.  I agree with Justin and think you should get back there and press on, pull on and mess with things and see if you can find what all rattles. I've gone so far in my van to completely remove a panel to identify the rattle was coming from it.  The plastic interior panel on my van's rear lift gate is huge and I couldn't pinpoint a single point of rattling and when I removed the panel it showed me that most of the panel was rattling, lol.  Pressing in one or two spots wasn't going to cut it so the whole thing got uber treatment.

I hear you, I'll try and lift off the upholstry on the liftgate and see if any of the metal is rattling. It's pretty solid though and has holes throughout so I'm not to sure if that's it. I'll try to see what I can come up with though.

Either way, I want to sound deaden mostly the back area where the sub is located. It's really where all the rattles I care about are.

I hear you, I'll try and lift off the upholstry on the liftgate and see if any of the metal is rattling. It's pretty solid though and has holes throughout so I'm not to sure if that's it. I'll try to see what I can come up with though.

Either way, I want to sound deaden mostly the back area where the sub is located. It's really where all the rattles I care about are.

That's where all the ones you care about RIGHT NOW are.  Once they're quieted the others will be much more noticeable and annoying.  It's an ongoing process, lol.

What is your budget for deadener? 

How permanent is your vehicle?

If you plan on keeping the truck for a while save for some decent deadener

The difference in loudness is very noticable after a good deadening

So not only will your rattles be done but your bass will sound better too

If you don't think you will ever have the budget for good stuff

You could do some aluminum peel and seal real cheap

But that stuff smells like asphalt at first and is hard as hell to remove

if you ever wanted to upgrade to a quality deadener

Either choice the difference will be sweet

Edited by Truconcept

NEVER recommend peel n seal for deadener, ever. OP I would recommend finding the source of your rattles and applying cld tiles in those areas.

If you're going to recommend a cheaper alternative for deadener then at least keep it a real deadener.  RaamAudio's RaamMat BXT II is a fairly good product.  It specs in fairly well with other good deadeners, does a pretty decent job and can be picked up for a pretty good price along with their UOI peel n stick CCF.  I've got a hodge podge of products in my vehicles including the RaamMat and UOI, SecondSkin Damplifier Pro and luxury liner, and very soon some SDS products for my Jimmy (when Don responds to my order email) though I've put some of the CLD and CCF in my co-worker's son's truck.  They all work pretty decent but the RaamAudio products are the most budget friendly without going to the "NOT REAL SOUND DEADENER" products like FatMat and Peal n Seal.

NEVER recommend peel n seal for deadener, ever. OP I would recommend finding the source of your rattles and applying cld tiles in those areas.

Im saying though, if OP only has $40 to spend on his whole deadening project

peel n seal is better than nothing

maybe take some pillows and blankets and stuff em in the doors

everybody could take a nap when they wanted to

im not trying 2 start anything with a peel n seal comment,  sorry 2 offend the pro's

i guess i wont mention what i put on my floors.... mamoru-tehe.gif

No peel n seal is worse than nothing. It doesn't have any deadening advantages and produces toxic fumes. $40 can get you 15ish cld tiles. Hell if the OP needs some tiles, I will gladly sell them some.

No peel n seal is worse than nothing. It doesn't have any deadening advantages and produces toxic fumes. $40 can get you 15ish cld tiles. Hell if the OP needs some tiles, I will gladly sell them some.

it at least adds mass for deadening if nothing else but the difference is in the video  ^^^

p.s - ohhh nooooo! peel and seal thread jack alert

I already priced out some CLD tiles form SDS. They aren't too bad. I think 20 tiles was around $48.

I'll probably only have like $150 max right now to spend on deadening the back. I totally understand what you're saying about wanting to always deaden more :P I know it'll be that way, but as of right now there are really no other rattles that are louder than my regular listening level except the back ones.

I think I'm going to try out some CLD tiles on cieling and back llftgate. Not sure how many I should buy however. Then I want to get some sort of dampner to cover JUST the back liftgate in entirety right now. I'll progressivelly sound deaden most of the car as more money comes in. It'll be a long project haha.

This car is going to by my main ride for a long while probably. Until it dies, I'm most likely going to be driving it. It may be an 89' but it's still got plenty of life left in it. I don't plan on selling it or anything, so I'm perfectly ok with sound deadening most of the car in time.

Don't use the CLD to stop rattles, they're for adding mass to a panel to stop resonances.  There is a difference even though both have to do with unwanted vibrations, lol.  

I would adhere to the 25% coverage rule for the CLD and get a good bit of CCF to stop rattles and noises from panels and such vibrating into each other.  

Don't use the CLD to stop rattles, they're for adding mass to a panel to stop resonances.  There is a difference even though both have to do with unwanted vibrations, lol.  

I would adhere to the 25% coverage rule for the CLD and get a good bit of CCF to stop rattles and noises from panels and such vibrating into each other.  

Great, thanks for the info. I'll look into the CCF.

read everything on sounddeadenershowdown.com

I already priced out some CLD tiles form SDS. They aren't too bad. I think 20 tiles was around $48.

I'll probably only have like $150 max right now to spend on deadening the back. I totally understand what you're saying about wanting to always deaden more tongue.png I know it'll be that way, but as of right now there are really no other rattles that are louder than my regular listening level except the back ones.

I think I'm going to try out some CLD tiles on cieling and back llftgate. Not sure how many I should buy however. Then I want to get some sort of dampner to cover JUST the back liftgate in entirety right now. I'll progressivelly sound deaden most of the car as more money comes in. It'll be a long project haha.

This car is going to by my main ride for a long while probably. Until it dies, I'm most likely going to be driving it. It may be an 89' but it's still got plenty of life left in it. I don't plan on selling it or anything, so I'm perfectly ok with sound deadening most of the car in time.

contact don at SDS for some help with out much you'll need to buy, he wont sell you more than what you need to get the job done. typically 25% coverage on flat surfaces to stop resonance and ccf behind plastic panels to prevent rattles. 

if you want to prevent flexing, it's much more effective to use other products, not mass loading with expensive cdl tiles. 

I will absolutely 2nd this post.  Spot on.  The use of foam to stop rattles and unwanted noise in a vehicle is very underrated by most.  Please don't over look it.

tried it for shits and gigles! doesnt do anything just makes stuff look like sh*t with no effect at all! it peels off too if its hot enough outside :) that makes it even more fun when it falls apart.

when yall say foam do you mean that stuff that expands when you spray it?

when yall say foam do you mean that stuff that expands when you spray it?

No. Talking about CCF. It is explained on SDS website

Out of idle curiosity OP, have you had a chance to order anything and get it put in yet, or found the source of the rattles?