hatrix

Overall louder sub for the money

Currently own a Fi SSD 18" subwoofer, however I might be selling it. I'm wanting to upgrade to something with a little more SPL. Another 18" woofer since I already have a box that would be within specs for all 18"s I've looked at.

I'll have about $350 to spend on a new one it if I do indeed get rid of the SSD. That's without shipping, I'll cover shipping to no matter.

So after looking it seems my choices in my price range are:

Fi BL 18" ($391.12 with shipping)

SSA ICON 18" ($371 with shipping, free shipping through SSA)

Sundown X-18" ($350 with shipping, though on pre order for now and would be a long wait, free shipping)

Ascendant Audio Chaos 18" ($371.77 with shipping)

This is everything I could find that was close to my price range. All through the SSA store besides the BL obviously.

Now I know box is 90% of your install, but I'm asking if they were all put in the same box, which subwoofer would outright be the loudest. I would be pushing the sub with a Sundown SAX-1200D.

Edited by hatrix

I assume you are reusing your current enclosure?  If so, what is it's net volume & tuning?

Performance depends on the enclosure.  You can't just ask "if the enclosure was the same.....", still need to know what that specific enclosure is.

I assume you are reusing your current enclosure?  If so, what is it's net volume & tuning?

Performance depends on the enclosure.  You can't just ask "if the enclosure was the same.....", still need to know what that specific enclosure is.

Yea.... It's around 6-7cuft. I don't know exactly, I got it from a trade my friend made. It's not a prefab though. I believe it's tuned to 33hz.

Also has a zig zag slot port.

Edited by hatrix

I'm not thinking your going to gain a big increase in output since its the same cone area and the same power.

Maybe try another box.

I'm not thinking your going to gain a big increase in output since its the same cone area and the same power.

Maybe try another box.

I would think that wouldn't be true though....

If I was switching from an SSD 18" to a BTL 18", even on the same power it should be louder.

Maybe try another box.

If I was switching from an SSD 18" to a BTL 18", even on the same power it should be louder.

Correct, but not much.

Maybe try another box.

Correct, but not much.

Well this will basically be an almost free upgrade. So I might as well get the loudest subwoofer for my money, and if need be push more power to it in the future.

I also have a box tuned to 9cuft available, but is probably out of recommended specs for some of the subs.

Edited by hatrix

Maybe try another box.

Why?  What in particular makes you say that?

Maybe try another box.

Better power handling.

Maybe try another box.

Better power handling.

If it is louder it won't be a crazy difference.

If you want a good noticeable increase, a good choice would be 2 15s in a big ass box.

Maybe try another box.

Better power handling.

Yeah but you're gonna be using the same enclosure, and providing the same amount of power.  So regardless the amount of CLEAN power you can provide to the sub woofer, will remain the same.  And even at that the sub you currently have has a rating to handle every bit of the power you're throwing at it right now.

Yeah but you're gonna be using the same enclosure, and providing the same amount of power.  So regardless the amount of CLEAN power you can provide to the sub woofer, will remain the same.  And even at that the sub you currently have has a rating to handle every bit of the power you're throwing at it right now.

My SSD is only rated at 800 rms, not the 1200+ my SAX-1200D is throwing out. Older model, bought it like 4 years ago with copper coil option.

Edited by hatrix

The larger enclosure you go, the less power you would want to send.

The enclosure you have is a general area for all 18s.

Using the same power, cone area, tuning and volume for 18s that are all designed to play music and be ground pounders is only going to be a possible upgrade to what you have now... possible, but to compare all your choices together, i do not think it really matters which one you go with because you will be limiting the maximum potential the subwoofer can produce so any of the choices are fine.

The larger enclosure you go, the less power you would want to send.

The enclosure you have is a general area for all 18s.

Using the same power, cone area, tuning and volume for 18s that are all designed to play music and be ground pounders is only going to be a possible upgrade to what you have now... possible, but to compare all your choices together, i do not think it really matters which one you go with because you will be limiting the maximum potential the subwoofer can produce so any of the choices are fine.

Ok thanks for the info. I just assumed upgrading to a Fi BL would be an ideal choice. seeing how my current sub is only rated at 800 rms and is seeing more power than is necessary. I know it's not hurting it if my gains are set right, but I figured I'd get audibly more output with a BL.

Why not try a new box?

i like the Icon better.

Better power handling.

Higher rated power handling doesn't mean what you are attempting to infer from it.

SSD 18 in grey

Fi BL 18 in yellow

SSA Icon 18 in blue

AA Chaos 18 in red

All in 6cuft 33hz w/ 1200w.  Power handling on all of them is reasonably close enough I don't really foresee significant differences in power compression.  Point is...they are all going to perform very close to the same audibly.  They are all within 2db over the entire bandwidth, with the exception of the BL due to the saddle in the response.

Graph_zpsf7f91825.jpg

Yeah I would try new box man.

New enclosure or dual Icons/Xcons ported in 7 cubes tuned to 33hz.

your suggesting something that is no where near his budget nor goals.

There is no correlation between the RMS rating and output levels in any way whatsoever...  At all...

There is no correlation between the RMS rating and output levels in any way whatsoever...  At all..

Really? Can you explain why please?

The RMS rating is the thermal power limit of the voice coil.

It isn't a power requirement, it isn't a figure to match amplifiers to, it isn't going to tell you how load a subwoofer will be in the slightest.  It is the most useless specification given by a manufacturer.

All the RMS rating tells you is how much power you can continuously ask a voice coil to handle before parts begin thermal breakdown. 

For sh*ts and grins, can you please explain why you thought the RMS rating had to do with output?  I am not going to be a prick and try and tell you your dumb or something stupid like that, I am just curious as to why people are always saying this...

Wait, I think I misunderstood your post. You said the RATING of the subwoofer is useless information. I was thinking you said that the amount of rms you put to a sub has no correlation to the output of the driver.