bigbrother54

Sundown Audio SA-8 V2 D4 vs. Digital Designs DD1008

Hi. I am trying to install a small amp that will also supply some great Bass tones both deep and High and was wondering which one of these companies to use. I have heard alot of great things about both of them and they are. "Sundown Audio SA-8 V2 D4" Or "Digital designs DD1008". If anyone can help please let me know something and thank you.

Edited by bigbrother54

only difference i know for sure is that digital designs has direct leads

DD 1008

Cutout Diameter 7.16

FS 47.78 Hz

Magnet Weight 90 oz

Mounting Depth (in.) 4.5

Nominal Impedance D2.0 Ohm / D4.0 Ohm

Power Handling RMS/Peak 500/2000

QTS 0.593 QES 0.635 QMS 8.935

Shipping Weight 14lbs

Suspension Travel 66 mm

VAS 3.343

Voice Coil Diameter 2.0"

Sundown 8 v2

RE: 3.36 ohms

FS: 34.6 Hz

VAS: 7.44 L

Qes: 0.35

Qms: 10.10

Qts: 0.33

Le: 1.34 mH

BL: 17.56 NA

Mms: 146.120 g

Sens: 81.5

RMS: 500 Watts

Edited by Truconcept

also the sundown 8" xmax is 27mm

while the digital designs 8" xmax is 66mm

Thanks so which one would you suggest? I am somewhat new to this and have been told that it can be somewhat difficult trying to come up with a good ported box for the Sa.

Thanks so which one would you suggest? I am somewhat new to this and have been told that it can be somewhat difficult trying to come up with a good ported box for the Sa.

sorry i'm not an experienced box builder

we would need more info to help with that

what are your max dimensions that will fit in your ride?

what ride are you putting the sub in?

which amp have you picked?

how is your electrical?

but if i were to pick between the 2 just straight up....

i pick digital designs

as the price is not much different

Single 8 ported never makes sense.

I am no expert but I'd bet that the suspension on the DD is not calculated at "one way" travel like most drivers.... Almost all their drivers are 66mm until you get to the 3500 series... I know they're both great companies but what are you going for just loud bass or great low end? 

also couldn't find the specs on BL but the SA is very high = a lot of motor force... wonder what the DD is... but like Sean is saying you might be able to fit a 10" ported if you give us more info we might be able to help determine that

I am no expert but I'd bet that the suspension on the DD is not calculated at "one way" travel like most drivers.... Almost all their drivers are 66mm until you get to the 3500 series... I know they're both great companies but what are you going for just loud bass or great low end? 

nah prob not 1way but that sundown 27mm xmax is my own number

from x2 their 1way spec on http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/subwoofers/item/sa-series.html?category_id=2

nah prob not 1way but that sundown 27mm xmax is my own number

from x2 their 1way spec on http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/subwoofers/item/sa-series.html?category_id=2

x2 would be 16mm doubled... That is 32mm ..... 

From Sundown Audio site:

The SA-8 v.2 also features a full 16mm of Klippel verified one-way linear excursion and mechanical capacity in excess of double the linear limits to ensure that mechanical failures are nearly impossible.

Hi. I am trying to install a small amp that will also supply some great Bass tones both deep and High and was wondering which one of these companies to use. I have heard alot of great things about both of them and they are. "Sundown Audio SA-8 V2 D4" Or "Digital designs DD1008". If anyone can help please let me know something and thank you.

OP what are you max dimensions for the enclosure you're willing to sacrifice??? also, what kind of vehicle? hatchback, sedan(trunk), van, pickup, SUV.... more info ... more info ... more info!!! :)

i thought it was 13.5 my bad.....

but still......

66mm>32mm

but still......

66mm>32mm

And that means absolutely NOTHING. Glad you can do rudimentary math, but perhaps you should apply it. And still, single ported 8 is teh dumb.

Hi and thanks for all of the input. The woofer will be placed in a 2012 Mitsubishi Galant and I'm really not sure of the exact dimensions that I am willing to sacrifce. I could even go with a 10" if that would be more feasable.

but still......

66mm>32mm

And that means absolutely NOTHING. Glad you can do rudimentary math, but perhaps you should apply it. And still, single ported 8 is teh dumb.

so your input here is that xmax means NOTHING? 

I'm quite certain the 66mm xmax rating on the DD isn't just both directions, but the absolute mechanical limit in both directions.  Everyone else measures the XMAX by the BL method so there's no way to compare the DD specs to anyone elses.

I'm sure if you were to measure the Sundown's mechanical limits that it would meet or exceed that of the DD, but it doesn't matter because it's not really usable.  Once the coil exceeds a certain point in the gap it's not doing any good anyway and distortion goes way up which is why everyone specs it with the 70% (IIRC) BL rating.

I think all that's right,  Quinten, Sean, and Brad would be much more knowledgeable in this area.

Hi and thanks for all of the input. The woofer will be placed in a 2012 Mitsubishi Galant and I'm really not sure of the exact dimensions that I am willing to sacrifce. I could even go with a 10" if that would be more feasable.

A 10 would be louder because of greater cone area.... and with a galant you have a nice sized trunk but obviously don't think you want to take up the whole trunk or anything.... 

but still......

66mm>32mm

why don't you guys answer the question in the OP

which sub???

you just want to argue some specs

and talk about going ported or not

LOL

but still......

66mm>32mm

so your input here is that xmax means NOTHING?

Exactly. ANY single spec from the T/S is arbitrarily useless on its own. There is one thing that Xmax does mean though. Conventional drivers with large xmax generally sound worse than small xmax drivers.

What's wrong with a single 8 ported?
Design a box for one once and you will understand. A while back I built one as an example here. With the port and NO bracing it was larger than the box for a sealed 12" driver. Way worse response too.

And there is no way in hell the DD is 33mm one way linear. There is barely that much distance on the spider landing.

but still......

66mm>32mm

why don't you guys answer the question in the OP

which sub???

you just want to argue some specs

and talk about going ported or not

LOL

Stop being a moron.

OP's thread doesn't at all follow the Terms & Conditions of the board he agreed to when joining. If it did, he'd have an answer.

The real answer here is though that an 8" driver makes NO SENSE in his application so the correct answer is simple. Neither. Narrowing down which driver he should use requires more information.

I have and I was happy with it. Sounded great to me and the couple of people that heard it.

Edited by marq7890

I have and I was happy with it. Sounded great to me and the couple of people that heard it.

And therein lies exactly the problem in car audio. In the same space, with the same budget you could have done better no matter the goals. Of course, it was "great" so it'll get recommended when in reality it is a stupid thing to buy.

*not saying you were promoting it as a should buy, but using your comments as an example of what plagues 99% of car audio internet forums -- the I love what I have and its the best complex.