bigbrother54

Sundown Audio SA-8 V2 D4 vs. Digital Designs DD1008

I have and I was happy with it. Sounded great to me and the couple of people that heard it.

And therein lies exactly the problem in car audio. In the same space, with the same budget you could have done better no matter the goals. Of course, it was "great" so it'll get recommended when in reality it is a stupid thing to buy.

*not saying you were promoting it as a should buy, but using your comments as an example of what plagues 99% of car audio internet forums -- the I love what I have and its the best complex.

You just said it was dumb and I wanted to know why,  so I asked.

The reason I bought  the 8 was to hold me over while I got my other sub reconed and also it was cheap. It was only 50 bucks from sundown and I had some left over wood to make a box.

Edited by marq7890

8" subs could be beneficial when used in multiples. More cone area and more coils to apply the same amount of power versues smaller quantity of larger subs.

8" subs could be beneficial when used in multiples. More cone area and more coils to apply the same amount of power versues smaller quantity of larger subs.

Box and port ratios still apply. Still no better.

Hi. I am trying to install a small amp that will also supply some great Bass tones both deep and High and was wondering which one of these companies to use. I have heard alot of great things about both of them and they are. "Sundown Audio SA-8 V2 D4" Or "Digital designs DD1008". If anyone can help please let me know something and thank you.

OP what are you max dimensions for the enclosure you're willing to sacrifice??? also, what kind of vehicle? hatchback, sedan(trunk), van, pickup, SUV.... more info ... more info ... more info!!! smile.png

Still waiting OP..... we can help and apparently everyone is not busy at the moment so hurry ... lol 

You are the guy that buys the two small pepperoni pizzas for three bucks more than the large even though it is 15% less food.

You are the guy that buys the two small pepperoni pizzas for three bucks more than the large even though it is 15% less food.

I'm sure this could go on forever but the OP still hasn't responded and we're cluttering the thread..... maybe time for end???

Box and port ratios still apply. Still no better.

Why isnt more cone area in the same size net enclosure with the same tuning beneficial? Plus there would be better thermal conditions with having more coils to disipate the generated heat.

Pathetically your analogy doesnt coincide with my previous posts.

Wanna try again?

Bc vas determines box volume. The box for the same cone area will still be smaller a d the port will still take up more volume.

And it's gonna take more power to be as loud with smaller drivers. Two 500 watt 8s are only gonna hit half xmax on 500 watts. One 500 watt 12 will get full excursion on 500 watts.

The 12 would still be louder. You have to add power to compensate for the extra Cms

you are the 1 of the guys that scares away the potential new customer

with your attitude problem

Nothing more should be added to this thread until the OP gives us more information.

Hi and thank you all. I have decided on going with the DD1508. This is a great sub and should do just what i am wanting.

you are the 1 of the guys that scares away the potential new customer

with your attitude problem

That was the goal of the post. 8's make NO SENSE. Neither should be purchased for the OP. The DD in particular is absolutely a terrible choice.

I'm sorry that you feel that way that I made a terrible mistake because as far as I am concerned It is a great choice. You have your likes and I have mine. They are both great subs so please keep your negative comments to yourself.

And it's gonna take more power to be as loud with smaller drivers. Two 500 watt 8s are only gonna hit half xmax on 500 watts. One 500 watt 12 will get full excursion on 500 watts.

The 12 would still be louder. You have to add power to compensate for the extra Cms

There is no correlation between power rating and the amount of excursion vs power, ever.  This is a flawed comparison.

Additionally, if you take two drivers with identical motors that have 1/2 the Sd of a single driver with the same motor, the pair are more efficient, always.  They behave more linear and have less power compression.  Additionally, if you have more motor force, all else being equal, to a given Sd, this in itself is inherent to more potential efficiency.

Hi and thank you all. I have decided on going with the DD1508. This is a great sub and should do just what i am wanting.

Let us know how it works out for you in your install.

Single 8 ported never makes sense.

Oh, you SO do NOT want to see my trunk.

There is no correlation between power rating and the amount of excursion vs power, ever.  This is a flawed comparison.

Additionally, if you take two drivers with identical motors that have 1/2 the Sd of a single driver with the same motor, the pair are more efficient, always.  They behave more linear and have less power compression.  Additionally, if you have more motor force, all else being equal, to a given Sd, this in itself is inherent to more potential efficiency.

But they don't have the same motor and they aren't as efficient

Take and 8 and a 12.

The 8 is designed to work in a .5 cubic foot box with a qtc of .7 and a f3 of 50. Using typical softparts weights and needed cms it will take 473 watts to hit xmax. 

The 12 is designed to work in a 1 cubic foot box (since we were talking same box volumes) with a qtc of .7 and a f3 of 50 it will take 745 watts to hit xmax.

In order for the two 8's to compress the same amount of air as the 12 they would need 200 more watts total.

You stick the two 8's in a 1 cubic foot box and the 12 in a one cubic foot box both systems on 745 watts the 8's will be at 118db at one meter and the 12 will be at 121db at one meter.

I retract my statement, I was factoring in the drop of impedance for the pair.

8 inch sub

re 38.18

Fo 38.18

qts .5458

qes .5919

qms 7

vas  9.553

bl 9.14

xmax 20

mms 101

cms 168.4

spl 87.48

12 sub

re 2

fo 23

qts .3534

qes .3721

qms 7

vas 94.72

bl 11.38

xmax 20

mms 156

spl 93.2

Nope don't think I forgot any.  I agree with you 100 percent on being more efficient all things being equal.  And yes the two 8's have quite a bit more motor force overall. But the thing I think you may be forgetting is coil weight.  The two 8 cones may be close in weight to the 12 BUT. when you add the extra coil weight into the mix the BL to moving mass ratio is lost.  Then you factor in the tighter syspension on the 8 168.4 uM/N versus 279uM/N on the 12 you lose more efficiency  

I retract my statement, I was factoring in the drop of impedance for the pair.

Then yes I definantly agree they would be louder on twice as much power

I modeled with constant voltage drive, that was the mistake if anyone else besides us is paying attention...