Lschevy

dual 10's or quad 8's

Too technical?

Why, because they know how to do basic math? (finding the surface area of a circle.)

Or because he suggested using the sd which is making your life even simpler because you just have to multiply it by the amount of drivers you have.

My explanation was VERY simple, although not technically correct.  You guys can argue about math all you want but still four 8's have more cone area than two tens no matter what end of story.  You guys are just math nerds.

conerr.jpg 

My explanation was VERY simple, although not technically correct.  You guys can argue about math all you want but still four 8's have more cone area than two tens no matter what end of story.  You guys are just math nerds.

conerr.jpg

Your explanation was useless, it only works in this scenario.

As Shizzon has said, 2 10's with your explanation should have more cone area then 1 18, eventhough that is far from the truth.

I don't understand what you get out of calling people math nerds.

Some very good advice for you would be to stop typing, untill you know how to talk to people. (it's not because this is the internet that you shouldn't behave properly.)

That is not how how SD is calculated. ALL formulas for loudspeakers are formulated using Thiele and Small's work. Their definition of effective piston area is radius (1/2 of driver diameter surround apex to surround apex) squared times PI.

And VD is effective piston area times xmax. Xmax is NOT @ 70% BL as most manufactures list. The definition for xmax used in formulas is coil overhang.

Maths nerds because they know how to calculate cone areas ? smh.....

To the OP : maybe you need to find another box builder,

Can't forget about BL... The magnet(s) can't be dead or you could have a 40" sub maxing out at 0 db. You need motor force, which is why when you buy a sub you are basically buying the motor (magnets) and if you don't like something about the rest of the sub just change the soft parts.

And to the op... 4 8's has more sd

Edited by Fi 4 life

its hard to find i good builder for trucks so im almost limited to the four 8's with the custom enclosure or two ported 10's in a prefab..sucks right? lol

its hard to find i good builder for trucks so im almost limited to the four 8's with the custom enclosure or two ported 10's in a prefab..sucks right? lol

I don't understand why you keep isolating for certain applications for a job that it should already be entitled to? If a guy is a box builder, he isn't a box builder for only Fords, or for only trunk vehicles? lol. Its simple measurements the person is following, not the vehicle type. 

all the builders that I contacted told me the exact same thing. truck boxes take more time to design than regular boxes

blow through!  blow through!  blow through!!

3664740100_large.jpg

Either one of two things is happening.

1) You live in Pennsyltuckey so everyone you speak to is from West Virginia

2) Or you aren't being very clear in what you are asking.  Just like making a good thread, having a productive conversation with a builder is necessary.

everyone voted for the 8's with that being said would they be worth the price with such a small advantage in cone area?

First off, everyone did NOT vote for 8's.

Second, build your box first!

Price/performance is not something anyone else can really answer for you

i thought cone area and excursion was the key to maximum output....if i go with the four 8's it will sundown sa 8v2's and the dual 10 option would be dc lvl 4,FI Bl or ssa icon

i thought cone area and excursion was the key to maximum output....if i go with the four 8's it will sundown sa 8v2's and the dual 10 option would be dc lvl 4,FI Bl or ssa icon

Depending on enclosure volume and tuning. And power being applied. This has been gone over already and I have posted results of two eights compared to one 12 using the same power.

You can not look at a few specs and make assumptions about output.

i thought cone area and excursion was the key to maximum output....

You would need to determine Vd in that enclosure volume with the applied power to determine which would ultimately have more output and over what bandwidth, as alignment is going to matter in regards to output as well.

i thought cone area and excursion was the key to maximum output....

You would need to determine Vd in that enclosure volume with the applied power to determine which would ultimately have more output and over what bandwidth, as alignment is going to matter in regards to output as well.

how can i do that?

download winISD.  You can input both drivers you want to use and compare both set ups

i think i did it right...i entered both driver and put the box tuning freq. to 32 the two dc lvl 4 are in red and the four sa8's are green

5-3-20139-31-18PM_zpse6a44af5.jpg

Now, adjust the box volumes to what will fit under your seat. And under the plot menu input whatever power you will be running to each set up

yea above tuning input total volume.  Then to the right click plot and enter total power that will be used

here I helped you out a bit.  All enclosures are 1.5 cubic feet and power is 2,000 watts. (another 500 watts will just give all a little more gain)  It's pretty obvious which route to go.

sa8sandDC10s_zpsb1ef1fa6.jpg