Sign in to follow this  
ToXicFrOgXx

1980 Camaro Subwoofer

Hi guys. Since I got my BL 15 I have no use for my Type R 12 and my buddy wanted to upgrade his system a little bit. I've done a couple installs but have no clue where to start with this. This is the system that got my into high output sound systems and now I really need to help him get things straight. He has two Blau Punk 12"s running at 170 wrms each mounted in two 5 gallon buckets. They are basically free air but when the truck is closed they actually have quite a bit of output. For what it is. Lol. Now he wants to fabricate a box for the new Type R 12 and run his amp bridged at 500 wrms. Any ideas would be awesome!! Here are a few pictures and measurements. Thanks everybody. :) 

20130429_125402_zpsec938e4b.jpg

He is willing to move the amp, tool box and spare around but they need to remain in the trunk. 

20130429_125416_zps67760c7e.jpg

The drivers side of the trunk is lower than the passenger side. Its hard to see but its there. 

20130429_125427_zps35db8273.jpg

20130429_125756_zps02bbad36.jpg

There are many bumps but this picture shows a bump at the end of the trunk before the back seat bracing. 

20130429_125807_zpscdd31974.jpg

We have no clue how to make this box work. We would like to port it. I was thinking an aero port tuning 2+ cubic feet to 33hz. If ported can't work than we will go sealed. 

im assuming the backseat doesnt go down since its a old car?

There is a metal plate that does not move right there. I will be able to post measurements later tonight. Any ideas help!!

let me guess he cut holes in the buckets to port them lol

You could build an enclosure and port it through the rear deck since the seats do not move.

let me guess he cut holes in the buckets to port them lol

Yeah... The airspance in the trunk is small enough to isolate the sound almost like a super terrible bandpass. Lets just say he knew nothing about how subs worked when these were installed and niether did I. So a port is a cut to allow air out. But Im trying to help his system as much as I can now. Lol.

You could build an enclosure and port it through the rear deck since the seats do not move.

So run a port out of the box and have it come up through the hole that looks present in one of the photos?? Would that transfer more sound into the cab without actually having the speaker in the cab??

The most difficult thing with this install is the space available. A square mdf box is not going to fit. Is fiberglass the only option we have here?? And if so how can we tune the enclosure to the proper frequency??

Throw that shit in the garbage and either build a sealed enclosure for the two subs. Once you have experience with a sealed box then step up to a ported box.

And be carefull with those screws. I'm about 34.86 percent sure the gas tank is below that panel.

Any drilling from here on out will be double and triple checked. This system was installed years ago and hasnt had any problems.

if the output is decent now for what he has. i would NOT cut the back deck or do a blow thru,

just a simple ported or sealed box would do the job just fine.

I have some expirence with ported boxes. I went through mutiple boxes setting up the small sub for my xbox surround sound and also for my Type R 12. I found that the Type R likes 2.4^3 @ 33Hz. What Im asking is how do we make a box that will fit in his car because it cannot be an exactly square box. Im thinking a fiberglass box that molds to the trunk but then how can we tune it to the right frequency??

you can make a flat box, subs firing up, and port to the tail lights or to the back seat or even to the side,

im sorry is that amp mounted to a breifcase of sorts>?

Can you build a flat surface out of wood to make the trunk floor more flat? False floor. Then just slap the square box on top

The amp is mounted to a wood platform that is around the tool box. Lol. We could do a false floor but that would take a lot of space away from the actual demensions of the box. Its hard to tell but the left side of the trunk is about 3 inches lower than the right side. We are thinking about makin a fiberglass bottom and mdf for the rest of the box. How can we figure out how to port the box properly??

I just have a hard time understanding the size if the trunk from the photos. Can you get more photos with some sift of diminsions on it for a better understanding?

Yeah. I can get some more pics and dimensions for you guys. Its the weirdest trunk ever. Lol

Looks like there would be no problem with buildng a box out side and putting it right in. The trunk opening is plenty large. 

Looks like there would be no problem with buildng a box out side and putting it right in. The trunk opening is plenty large.

that's a big plus! Edited by Dictator

@bigjon You got me weak bro. I was laughing out loud with customers in the shop about the briefcase...