Sign in to follow this  
DBC420

Recommendations for a first time Build on a budget

Hi, im new to competition quality amps and subs. and Im turning 18 on May 20th. so I was wondering what would be recommended with a budget of 1500$? ive been looking at companies such as Sundown and DC Audio but not everything is price listed. what I am basically wondering is what is the best I can do with this budget?? please let me know. 

Well what's your goal? What do you want to get out of the system you purchase. Also what's the available space you have? Can't recommend anything without knowing the amount of space you have to work with. In what vehicle?

Some great brands I've had excellent customer service and products from are SSA, Sundown, and Crescendo.

shop used, its your best shot on a low budget

I agree with bigjon, get some used equipment.  You can get a lot of stuff on here for a decent price and barely used.  IMO I really like Sundown and SSA.  Both have awesome customer service and products.  Are you trying to compete or just have a nice soud quality daily system?  What kind of music do you listen to?

well as of today I bought a 99 Yukon Denali so I was assuming that 15s or 18s would be the size speaker I want. and honestly I want to go and buy something new with a warranty. im mainly caught between some alpine 15s or the Fi audio BL's. I just don't know what amp I should get.. that's my biggest issue. im scared of spending all this money and not liking what I buy. I currently have 2 older MTX thunder 8000 series ran off from a Memphis PR1. 1000 amplifier. Im just trying to get the best I can get money isn't to big of a deal but I don't wanna spend over 2000$. because of insurance and possible repairs down the road from now.

it would be a daily thing. probably wouldn't have enough into it to compete with the big guys. lol, and I listen to rap. and a lot of dubstep.

Edited by DBC420

Buy your subs used from a reputable member here. New subs will not warrantee coils which is really the only thing will malfunction and is normally caused by user error.

I do believe BigJon has some XCONs for sale. As far as amp I would do crescendo if they are in stock as they would be the cheaper buy.

If you really do not want used subs Im partial to Incriminator, and their lead time is much much less than most others.

Crescendo is cheap. Audiopipe is cheaper !

Spend on speakers.

You must have room for one 18" : will give you more bass for the money. Your Memphis amp is good enough. Keep it. And get an Ssa xcon.

You got 1500, bro. 

The cost of electrical upgrades to support a BL and a loud enough front stage is gonna eat through most of your budget. 

Keeping power low should be key...electrical upgrades are not cheap. 

2 15 dcon's will be very impressive on 600 watts. And you can recycle that memphis amp

Edited by eggyhustles

Are you an spl or sq guy? What are your goals? If it is between the Alpine and the Fi I would personally go with Fi. Eggy's advice is very sound as the upgrades necessary to run more power are very expensive. 

Whatever you decide to do remember that the enclosure will play a big role in how your subs sound and respond. Don't slack on your enclosure!

Box is more important than sub

Box is more important than sub

I second that.  do not skinp there however there are some nice boxes available from a cpl polaces but the most part you will be throwingf money away.  Imo i have been pretty lucky with Reconed subs from a few members on the diff forums. My sd-2's were done with factory kits and even was backed by seller so for the price I scored. You will find most people on here are decent to deal with and not hear to screw you.