Minoxide98

Are Rear Speakers Necessary?

Just a quick question from a newb.  I took my old system of out my '98 Cavalier last summer and am just getting around to getting it installed into my 'new' '03 Cavalier this weekend.  My system includes a rebuilt 5 channel alphasonik amp, some 4x6 pioneer door speakers (which are currently installed), an older model pioneer deck w/ usb hookup, a single 12" kaption sub, and a set of 6x9 Energy speakers for the rear.

When I installed my door speakers, I tried installing the rears at the same time.  They fit my old car, but I had them mounted in the trunk above the sub and under their brackets - because even though the speaker size is 6x9, the stupid flare design makes them fan out to be a bit larger on either side.  I wanted a clean install with this car, and only have factory rear speakers (mind you, it's the factory 'premium' stereo for the 2003).  I want to know, with the sub and everything else, is it worth getting the amp to power them?  I've got enough channels.  Would it be too much for the speakers to handle anyways?  I don't really know their specs.

I swear I've read somewhere before that people with subs and amps and such, don't worry too much about the rear speakers, or even hook them up at all, just because the sub would give you enough sound for the back of the car anyways.

Any thoughts?

Rear speakers are not necessary, they do more harm than good.

nope...

but some ppl are obsessive compulsive and cant do without

No they are not neccissary. But it depends on who you talk to. Rear fill's purpose is to reproduce reflections found naturally in live events. When at a live performance there will be sound bouncing from structures/objects around and back forward. Preferably there should be no reflections in the venue but sometimes it's not possible.

Olde school Sq guys used rear fill. But did they sound as good or better than today's set ups?

I think it depends on the vehicle.

No rear fill in my daily driver.   :)

No they are not neccissary. But it depends on who you talk to. Rear fill's purpose is to reproduce reflections found naturally in live events. When at a live performance there will be sound bouncing from structures/objects around and back forward. Preferably there should be no reflections in the venue but sometimes it's not possible.

Olde school Sq guys used rear fill. But did they sound as good or better than today's set ups?

yes, but a vehicle is full of reflective surfaces as well, and anything playing up front will undoubtedly reflect off of every surface available, including those behind you, just the same as a live venue correct?

Therefore for ease of imaging/sound stage adjustment would it not be better to run a properly powered/installed set of front speakers/components?

But then for many, who don't care about the above, but just want their stereo to be "louder" would it not be easier for them to just upgrade the stock located speakers all around and amp them with no care for proper imaging/sound stage?  Or is our crazy obsessiveness for proper what everyone the world over should strive for?

Hook them up and listen to them. if you like them keep them if not disconnect them. You can also use your fader adjustment to tailor it to your taste.

BTW a sub install designed for SQ doesn't sound like it is coming from the back of the car :)

BTW a sub install designed for SQ doesn't sound like it is coming from the back of the car :)

Absolutely !!!

Outside of a couple very extremes I've never heard a car with rears that didn't sound better with them faded to off.

Subwoofer frequencies are non directional.

Unless you have people in the back A LOT.. I generally like to say no to rears.

No rear speakers in my car.

I had some good ones in the rear doors, but I could not tell they were playing !!! So I took them out, and now my mids & highs amp is bridged on the single set of comps I have in the front doors.
I love it like that.

BTM, I sold the rear speakers to make some money :)  :)